Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

the list for this year looks terrible -why so many of the pretty awful 80`s stuff?

I've bought all the DVD's & I generally get them on the day of release or within a couple of weeks. If I don't I'll only forget & not notice until I get around to watching them....which could be years after they've been withdrawn.

haven't they now got some thing called Blue-ray not forgeting the M3pd (or what ever they are)
    There are two formats - Blu-Ray and HD-DVD that are competing... There are currently some players capable of both formats. Both formats are compatible with regular DVD's.

I don't know if they would be interested in releasing classic Doctor Who on high-definition, as it took a lot of restoration to get it in the shape it is today, so who knows how much of it is in a condition where high definition may not just serve to make the faults more apparent. I also don't know much about transferring video to high definition... I know they can tranfer film to high definition, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lowry restored Bond franchise out on Blu-Ray relatively soon.. but video I just don't about or if that even makes a difference... Perhaps someone who is more of technofile can clear that up...

I wouldn't be surprised if the new series gets a high definition format release at some point though, since it was filmed in a higer definition and has 5.1 sountracks already (I think).

At any rate, I think it will be awhile before these formats really take off. There is no point in having a high-def player if you don't have an HDTV, and so it won't really start to take off until most households have HDTV's. I don't think that is going to happen until prices start to come way down. So we could end up with a situation where the classic series is almost completely out on DVD before the next generation format is even reaching a popularity where it would be feasible to release the series in that format.
    Last edited by Jeff; 1st Feb 2007 at 8:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    There are two formats - Blu-Ray and HD-DVD that are competing... There are currently some players capable of both formats. Both formats are compatible with regular DVD's.

I don't know if they would be interested in releasing classic Doctor Who on high-definition, as it took a lot of restoration to get it in the shape it is today, so who knows how much of it is in a condition where high definition may not just serve to make the faults more apparent. I also don't know much about transferring video to high definition... I know they can tranfer film to high definition, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lowry restored Bond franchise out on Blu-Ray relatively soon.. but video I just don't about or if that even makes a difference... Perhaps someone who is more of technofile can clear that up...

I wouldn't be surprised if the new series gets a high definition format release at some point though, since it was filmed in a higer definition and has 5.1 sountracks already (I think).

At any rate, I think it will be awhile before these formats really take off. There is no point in having a high-def player if you don't have an HDTV, and so it won't really start to take off until most households have HDTV's. I don't think that is going to happen until prices start to come way down. So we could end up with a situation where the classic series is almost completely out on DVD before the next generation format is even reaching a popularity where it would be feasible to release the series in that format.
    Thanks for that..