Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When do you buy Doctor Who dvds?

Are you one of those who buys them religiously on their release, or do you tend to hang back a bit like me to pick and choose those you want when they're available more cheaply a few months later? I went through the phase of buying everything as soon as it was released on video in the late 80s/early 90s when I was single and had loads of cash, but nowadays I have to be more choosy what I spend my hard-earned dosh on.

Pip Madeley Guest

Depends on the story really... I always buy the b/w episodes on release, because I love them, and most of the 70s ones too (particularly Tommy Baker DVDs). I'm not too bothered about the 80s ones though, I'd rather wait to get them cheaper (I did that and got Mark of The Rani and Ghost Light for 6 each).

I'm up to date with the classic series DVDs at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Madeley View Post

I'm up to date with the classic series DVDs at the moment.

I'm miles behind! I actually tend to wait till I've got a notion to watch a particular story, then look around to see if I can get it cheaply, rather than just buying them for the sake of having them.

I buy them as soon as they're released. Mostly I preorder them. I'm not choosy... all Doctor Who is worth buying and the DVDs are always worth the money I pay for them as far as I'm concerned. I don't really care that if I waited a month or two later I'd get them for a few pounds cheaper.

That's the kind of fan I am!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I buy them as soon as they're released. Mostly I preorder them. I'm not choosy... all Doctor Who is worth buying and the DVDs are always worth the money I pay for them as far as I'm concerned. I don't really care that if I waited a month or two later I'd get them for a few pounds cheaper.

That's the kind of fan I am!

Si xx

I'm exactly the same I have every DVD released so far and really enjoy the anticipation of waiting to find out what the next release is going to be I am all so one who pre-orders them as it's much easier than having to rake round the shops looking for them.

I usually pre-order them from Amazon, but money has been tight so I have not got the last four DVD releases. Maybe next payday though.

I used to have a standing order with 10th Planet, but decided that full price for an obscure autograph was getting a bit much when I saw them at other online retailers for half the price.
    Now I pre-order from wherever is the cheapest and they come to me as released.
    I get them all, B/W, Colour, don't care, I love all Who I have been known to watch even the ones I don't like.
    Like Si, it's the kind of fan I am.

I get them as soon as I feel that I can afford them. Often that will be as they come out, sometimes that isn't the case and I'll wait awhile. I haven't got Invasion or the Series 2 boxset yet, but hopefully I'll be able to afford them soon. Invasion hopefully on Thursday when I get paid.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Usually pre-ordered these days- it's all very well saying they go down after six months or so, but the retailers have got wise to the fact that Who releases sell very well for the first couple of weeks and then in dribs and drabs. So the pre-order price has gone under 10, and the reduced price you pay a year later is only a pound or two less- and if we're going to 10 releases a year then you don't want a backlog building up.

Wayne Guest

I usually pre-order them at one of the internet shops about a week or so before they come out.
    I'm not averse to switching my order to account for any last minute price reductions, (like bagging 'The Invasion' for 9.99 off Amazon), but if it's a favourite, i'll generally stick to Play.com, because they've always been the fastest to arrive, in my experience. (Apart from 'Galaxy 4', if you're willing to pay twice as much.) Sorry Larry.

Since getting the bug for buying these at end of 2003 I've been preordering just about ever since - I love the anticipation of getting these in the post. I feel a bit disappointed if it's an 80s with a few exceptions though

I'm not overly excited about the next release I have to say but I reckon I will get it - it's not been since Ghostlight I felt this way....

I get the original series DVDs on preorder from the best value site - Sendit have consistently been the best for the last few months (and not only on Who but various things, they've probably become my favourite etailer right now). They're so cheap now online that I don't think there's too much to be gained from waiting months to save a couple of quid (and that's not a dig at anyone who does BTW!).

The thing is, even if it's a story that I'm not overly excited about, the whole package of remastering and the extras that we're frankly spoiled with in comparison to most other TV series (especially vintage ones) make each of them a worthwhile purchase. For example, The Leisure Hive is one of my least fave Toms but the feature about the launch of the JNT era and the stuff about the new theme music made it a worthy addition to my collection.

However, I have yet to purchase any new series DVDs (vanillas or boxsets) - they just don't compare to the original series ones when it comes to value for money.

I get them all on the week of release.

Although I haven't bought one since the Talons of Weng Chiang, all the classic series releases seem to be in our house.

It's a mystery!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I get them all on the week of release.
    And then leave them sealed for a year or two?!
    Last edited by Jonno; 28th Nov 2006 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Rob McCow got in the way!

The Leisure Hive is one of my least fave Toms but the feature about the launch of the JNT era and the stuff about the new theme music made it a worthy addition to my collection
    I agree whole-heartedly with that, Jonno - in fact I would say that the extras on The Leisure Hive are one of the best of the entire range (so far).

Personally, for mainly financial reasons, I tend to 'cherry-pick' which ones I'd like for birthdays and Christmas, with the very-occasional one inbetween. This year's been rather good - The Beginning & Genesis for m'birthday, and I went mad and ordered The Invasion. And there's still Christmas to come...

The New Beginnings Boxset coming in January sounds gorgeous, though, and I will be looking to put aside a bit of Christmas money for that...

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    The New Beginnings Boxset coming in January sounds gorgeous, though, and I will be looking to put aside a bit of Christmas money for that...
    I think everyone would put money on that, Andrew!

Lately, I tend to buy them when I can afford them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    And then leave them sealed for a year or two?!
    I stuck ".... and watch them one year later." on the end of my Preview Post, but took it off before I hit Submit Reply.

I preorder then as soon as they appear on Play.

I just love that "saturday before release" feeling-it's sooo naughty!

I pre-order them religiously through play.com

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

I tend to wait for quite a while unless they're particularly special releases, e.g. Lost In Time, The Invasion, Leisure Hive.

I'm actually miles behind in collecting them - aside from The Beginning & New Beginnings box sets, I've still got 17 releases to buy!

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    I'm actually miles behind in collecting them - aside from The Beginning & New Beginnings box sets, I've still got 17 releases to buy!
    I'm the same, although I've got no idea how many releases I'm behind. I usually tend to wait till they're available cheaply, not just to save a few quid (although that's obviously a factor!), but if I've already bought them on video, I'm not in any particular hurry to replace them before I'm in the mood to actually watch them. Now and again, I'll make a point of buying something special on it's release (The Invasion being the most recent example)

Why couldn't dvd's have been around 15 years ago? When I see how much money I spent on getting all those Doctor Who videos, almost the entire Star Trek (original & TNG) series, B5 seasons 1-3, and numerous ITC releases of such series as The Saint, Man In A Suitcase, The Baron, The Persuaders, Danger Man etc on VHS...and nowadays (when I haven't got the same money available to spend ) see them released at a fraction of the cost on dvd...

And the amount of space these videos take up in the loft is unbelievable...

The dvd season boxset is the best thing ever invented! Maybe one day I'll win the lottery...

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    Why couldn't dvd's have been around 15 years ago? When I see how much money I spent on getting all those Doctor Who videos, almost the entire Star Trek (original & TNG) series, B5 seasons 1-3, and numerous ITC releases of such series as The Saint, Man In A Suitcase, The Baron, The Persuaders, Danger Man etc on VHS...and nowadays (when I haven't got the same money available to spend ) see them released at a fraction of the cost on dvd...

And the amount of space these videos take up in the loft is unbelievable...
    Quiet grandad.