Thread: I am Legend

Default I am Legend

Has anybody read (and enjoyed) Richard Matheson's 1954 sci-fi horror novel? Perhaps a timely thread given that the latest film version is doing the rounds at multiplexes across the land.
    The film takes some liberties with the plot and arguably almost loses the point of the story. The original is essentially a vampire story (in a style that would hugely influence the likes of Stephen King, perhaps most explicitly in his second novel, "'Salem's Lot"). Interestingly the film adaptations ("Omega man", etc) have tended to change or ignore the vampire element, as does the current film.

I found the book captavating and sad, as the last man alive tries to survive the nights plauged by blood suckers by holing up in his barracaded house. Ultimately, of course, he becomes an anomaly in a new world dominted by the vampires and the ones who are 'half' vampire and can caontrol their illness. He eventually becomes a mythical oddity. He becomes the book's title.
    Last edited by Carol Baynes; 13th Jan 2008 at 7:26 PM.

I've read it! We're off to see the film in a minute too.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Captain Tancredi Guest

I read the book a few years ago and was thinking of going to see the film, but if it's dispensed with the vampire element then I might leave it. Unfortunately I can't stand the smell of popcorn, so I really have to want to see a film at the cinema!

WhiteCrow Guest

I've seen the movie, and didn't really rate it, but then I can't really stand Will Smith.

Having looked up the book, I'm intrigued by some of the ideas of the book, esp the idea that the last human becomes something mythical in the eyes of the vampire. Of course this being a Will Smith film, such intelligent ideas have been lost in favour of Will's mugging to camera. He must be a tired man having also ruined the I, Robot series for an entire generation.

Surely it's time he remade 2001, we can expect the ending to go more "I'm going to get transdimensional on your ass you Monolithic mutha****er".

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    I've seen the movie, and didn't really rate it, but then I can't really stand Will Smith.

Having looked up the book, I'm intrigued by some of the ideas of the book, esp the idea that the last human becomes something mythical in the eyes of the vampire. Of course this being a Will Smith film, such intelligent ideas have been lost in favour of Will's mugging to camera. He must be a tired man having also ruined the I, Robot series for an entire generation.

Surely it's time he remade 2001, we can expect the ending to go more "I'm going to get transdimensional on your ass you Monolithic mutha****er".

Look, Will Smith is fine...and a very sexy man! Seriously, it's not entirely his fault. Blaming Smith is no more realistic than blaming Charlton Heston for giving "The Omega man" a similar presentation. I actually thought Will Smith's performance to one of the more pleasing aspects of the new film, to be honest and much removed from the kind of turns that you joke about.
    But at the end of the day if you really don't like him as an actor it's going to be difficult to go with him in the role I suppose, but I do think you're being unfair.

One of my fave ever novels. Read it years and years back while on the way to Scotland. All in one sitting, which is a rare thing (especially these days!). I read every few years just to remind myself how wonderfully clever it is, and why it truly is a masterpiece of scifi/horror. It's due another read soon, actually, once all my books (and other stuff) is moved down here with me.
    I am out there... somewhere.