Thread: Eurovision 2008

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Eurovision 2008

BEHOLD! The Behemoth rises once more from the ashes to destroy European harmony.

Some very eager beavers have picked their chansons already, but the Royaume-Uni shall not pick until March 1st. Earlier than last year, grab a tissue!

It comes around so quick!

Is March 1st a fact? Are there any names being rumoured?

Get Beverley Knight!

She can sing at least!

I fear we're more likely to get Kenzie or that bird from Dubstar.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I fear we're more likely to get Kenzie or that bird from Dubstar.

Si.
    And we think it's a political statement we get so many nul point, when we have fielded some truely awful acts recently. Although Ireland seem able to field any rubbish, even with an awful title like "My Lovely Horse", and are in danger of winning.

Maybe you just haven't seen it that lately? In the last four years Ireland have come in the bottom two twice, and failed to qualify once.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Maybe you just haven't seen it that lately? In the last four years Ireland have come in the bottom two twice, and failed to qualify once.

Si.
    Shirley not!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/eurovision

Smell our choices.

We want not the scutters of Maria, Joseph, X Factor and formerly Cleo.

We rally behind the MIGHT of MEEEEEEEEEEEEEECH GAYLE!

Get her an afro, a hat and a key change and my panties will never be dry again.

Coincidentally I had a dream about this last night in which amongst the contenders for the UK were Dame Camille Codouri and Sir David Teninch who performed a bizzare spoken duet thing. It wasn't as good as it sounds yet it seems better than the crap from the street we have instead.

The "Making Your Mind Up" tag has been quietly dropped then. I haven't heard the songs yet so shouldn't judge but what the hell - what deeply uninspiring people! Andy Tortoise Man Abraham?! I can't even remember the others! Michelle Gayle is a good choice but the rest seem very poor even for Eurovision! Would "Same Difference" from last year's "X Factor" not been a good option? Even Journey South would have been better!

Are the songs anywhere online yet?

The songs aren't online, except for the reject girls from Clea - the almost Girls Aloud, which can be heard on http://www.myspace.com/loveshyofficial

Watkins/Wilson have co-written Turtle-head's track, though I doubt it'll be a Who Do You Think You Are style disco stormer. The UK has a habit of picking the right artist but the wrong song, so I hope Michelle's is a hit because she's certainly got the live talent to carry it.

Simon Ellis has co-written one of the other tracks has he not? I suspect it won't be like his "Don't Stop Moving".

I hope there's some good uptempo songs and not too many ballads in long dresses.

If we pick Andy Ruddy Abrahams I'm giving up all hope.

I'm actually dissapointed there's not a Scott-Lee among this years nominees.

Si.

Wasn't Andy fingered again this year, but didn't make the final line-up?

The shame of not being able to make that line-up.

I actually like Andy Abrahams and look forward to hearing his song. He has a very good live voice and he will be used to the tension of the competition as he has gon through the X-Factor all the way to the final. Michelle Gayle was on re-born in the USA and her live voice didn't come across as being very strong.
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Clips are now online...

http://www.esctoday.com/news/read/10600

Play that funky music...

Pip Madeley Guest

I know the Eurovision is meant to be a bit of silliness but jeez...

Fowl Eurovision entry for Ireland

Eurovision Song Contest feathers may be ruffled by Ireland's decision to be represented in May's cross-continental competition by a puppet bird. Dustin The Turkey was plucked from a raft of six finalists, winning a televised vote on Saturday night.

The cult figure's gobbled rendition of Irelande Douze Pointe - a parody of the Eurovision voting system - secured his place at the top of the pecking order. Dustin now aims to restore Irish pride battered by recent Eurovision failures. But while Dustin beat off national opposition in broadcaster RTE's Eurosong on Saturday, he now faces a pressure cooker environment at May's Eurovision, where he will have to fight off competition from all over Europe.

Although it faced strong opposition from the likes of Dubliner Leona Daly's Not Crazy After All and 17-year-old Liam Geddes's Sometimes, Irelande Douze Points won over the viewers, who voted by phone and text in the competition.

Composed by Darren Smith and Simon Fine, the tune draws strongly on the campness of the Eurovision contest, which has become notorious in recent years for its tactical geopolitical voting. "Shake your feathers and pop your beak, shake it to the west and to the east," crooned Dustin in Limerick's University Concert Hall. "Wave Euro-hands and Euro-feet, wave them in the air to the turkey beat."

Dustin will now go on to perform in Eurovision's first semi-final in the Serbian capital Belgrade on 20 May and, if successful, will be aiming for the golden egg of glory in the final four days later. But it won't be Dustin's first shot at the big time.

A turkey vulture with a thick north Dublin twang, he became a star of national broadcaster RTE's The Den in 1990 alongside fellow television puppet stars Zig and Zag. Dustin's career took off and he was eventually given his own programme, Dustin's Daily News. He has a keen interest in politics and despite never officially standing, his name has appeared on ballot papers in the Republic of Ireland as a protest vote in elections. But he has always had a talent for warbling, having already released 14 singles and six albums. His last album - Bling When You're Minging - was released in 2005 and featured a duet with Chris De Burgh.

Ireland has had a poor Eurovision run in recent years, despite having won the contest a record seven times. The country's 2007 entry, Dervish, came last. Dustin will be hoping to change all that in Belgrade.

Novelty acts can go two ways really. Lordi with their monster masks and that Su Pollard-esque tranny last year were big hits but overtly camp Scooch went tits up. I can't imagine the masses of Europe will get the joke with Dustin and I fear Eire is gonna flop at the semi finals like Grandpa's erection.

Pip Madeley Guest

It gets better:

Dustin the turkey dished by Dana

Eurovision winner Dana has called for Ireland to pull out of the international song contest. Her call followed the news that puppet Dustin the Turkey will be representing Ireland in the competition. Dana's career began when she won the 1970 Eurovision with "All Kinds of Everything", but she thinks the contest is in danger of imploding.

"I just think it's making a mockery of the contest and if we think it's such a big joke then let's get out of it. Certainly don't put a turkey in a trolley up against singers who are desperately trying to make a way in their career."

Blimey! 'My Lovely Horse' doesn't seem too way off the mark at all now!

Ireland should have got the Lynch sisters, preferably with Sinead and Lyndsay alongside them...

or Daniel O'Donnell.

Our songs are not the best you'll ever hear. Why does no-one watch the show, see what kinds of things are popular and then get a quality live performer to do it?

It's not rocket science!

The only one that I like is Michelle's. It's not a winner though.

I think this is our worst selection of songs for a while. Popjustice has a link to a song that Daz tried to submit but didn't get through. Just as well as it was crap!

Eurovision: Your Decision is on now on BBC1. Will your vote be counted?
    The second song has just started & I think it's better than the first one...but its not brilliant!

Well the judges agreed with me, the second song (by Revelation) got the nod.

It's either The Revelations or Simona for me. I agreed with The Great God Barrowman that The Revelations should share their vocals. the others were quite awful, although Andy Abrahams was the best of the worst.
    We shall see what we shall see, but I have absolutely no expectation that we will win the ultimate contest with either of these songs.

The judges all got it spot on, apart from Terry getting the dustman back!

Si.