Pip Madeley Guest

Default UB40 singer Campbell quits group

UB40 lead singer Ali Campbell is to quit the group after almost 30 years, the band has confirmed. Campbell, who sang on hits such as Rat In My Kitchen, and Red, Red Wine, intends to concentrate on his solo work, the band said in a statement. The Birmingham reggae band's last gigs together will be next month in Australia, New Zealand and Uganda.

A spokesman for the band said they would continue to record and perform with the existing seven members. A decision on who will replace Campbell has not been made. The band's spokesman said: "Ali Campbell has taken the decision to focus on his solo career and in doing so, could not give his full commitment to UB40. The other band members of UB40 are naturally disappointed and saddened after being together as a band unit and as good friends and a family unit for almost 30 years."

He added "UB40 will continue to record and perform with the existing seven members. UB40 has never been about any one individual, but more a collective of band members, who have all contributed to create the unique sound that UB40 have become renowned for over the last three decades."

The band's next album 24/7, which features Campbell, will be released as planned. Formed in 1978, UB40 have sold in excess of 70 million records, including three UK number one singles in Red, Red Wine, I Got You Babe, and Can't Help Falling In Love. They also had two UK number one albums in Labour of Love and Promises and Lies.
    Does anyone even like UB40?

My uncle loves them. I only like Astro.

I don't dislike some of their stuff, I have a couple of their greatest hits CDs and one of their early albums on cassette.
    UB40 are still a popular live draw, one of the boys here at work goes to see them quite regularly. But surely their hit making days are long behind them, after 30 years together why has Campbell decided on a solo career this late in the day? And does he think he'll get any mileage from touring as a solo artist?

Pip Madeley Guest

Turns out Ali left for different reasons:

UB40 lead singer Ali Campbell has said he is leaving after almost 30 years because management difficulties had become "intolerable". Campbell said the decision was not due to him wanting to pursue a solo career. He claimed the disagreements had been going on for nearly five years and was "deeply unhappy" with many decisions.

A UB40 spokesman disputed his comments over the situation with management.

In a statement, Campbell said: "I have been deeply unhappy with administrative practices and with many decisions that have been made in recent years. I have an ongoing investigation into the handling of my business affairs in relation to UB40. Suffice to say, I felt I had no other option but to resign from my band."

He said he released his first solo album 13 years ago and when his current album was brought out, he had every intention of continuing to balance his own career with working with the band. "I am, perhaps, most upset on behalf of the fans, who have stuck with us, through thick and thin, throughout the years and are the best fans in the world. I know UB40 will carry on successfully without me and I wish them all the very best. They have been my family for the last 28 years and will always be my brothers."

It's strange that after 30 years as lead singer he hasn't got more control within the band. I admire them for being "all equal" but let's face it, who's going to care about UB40 now the singer is gone? It's a strange situation that after this long the singer is still being controller by "administrative procedures" and management.

Si.

Perhaps he was just as sick of 'Red Red Wine' as most everyone else?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Perhaps he was just as sick of 'Red Red Wine' as most everyone else?
    Bang on.

Although, i bet Tim's sick of it the most.

Pip Madeley Guest

Nine sips.