Default R.E.M. - Accelerate

REM have unveiled the tracklisting for their eagerly awaited new album 'Accelerate' .

The 11-track follow-up to 2004’s 'Around The Sun' is out on March 31, and was produced by Jacknife Lee.

One of the songs, 'I'm Gonna DJ', was recorded during the 'Around The Sun' sessions, but was not included on that record. However, it was a regular in the band’s set on their 2004/2005 world tour.

The other ten songs, including first single 'Supernatural Superserious', were previewed at the band’s five-night 'working rehearsal' at Dublin’s Olympia Theatre in June last year.

The band filmed a video for 'Supernatural Superserious' in a New York lingerie shop on Monday (January 21).

According to the band’s official website, the tracklisting for 'Accelerate' is:

'Living Well's The Best Revenge'
    'Man Sized Wreath'
    'Supernatural Superserious'
    'Hollow Man'
    'Houston'
    'Accelerate'
    'Until The Day Is Done'
    'Mr Richards'
    'Sing For The Submarine'
    'Horse To Water'
    'I'm Gonna DJ'

UK tour dates are to be announced very shortly.

They've even launched a website, called http://www.ninetynights.com/ but I don't know whats on it because I'm at work and I don't have Flash 9.

The last few REM albums have been quite laid back. Reveal, from waaaay back in 2001 actually became one of my favouriteist albums ever, with it's sun drenched harmonies and upbeat lyrics. Around The Sun wasn't so great, it lacked the diversity of sound and seemed quite dull, though many of the songs came over a heck of a lot better live.

So here we are at Accelerate. They've promised that it will be a 'faster' album. Perhaps if they build on the two tracks that turned up on their 'Best Of', Animal and Bad Day, it'll be another classic.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

The indications are that this one os going to rock apparently they thouht they'd gone too far away from that with Around the Sun, which is a fair enough assessment I reckon.
    I'm looking forward to it I have to admit. A new REM album is always an even for me.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    and was produced by Jacknife Lee.
    Not cool.

I failed to get in to 'Around The Sun', but reports I heard from the Dublin gigs said they were excellent and 'rocked'. Here's hoping....
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I listened to "Reveal" this week so I'll be looking forwards to this. They always manage to come up with SOME decent songs, even on the last album.

Si.

On Monday, February 11th, we will announce details of R.E.M.’s forthcoming European tour on remhq.com. That same day we will e-mail Online Fan Community members with details of a special ticket pre-sale which will take place on Wednesday, February 13th, at 9:00AM (GMT).

PASSWORD REQUIRED TO ENTER PRE-SALE
    Time to join the REM Email list, perhaps?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

So what does Planet Skaro think of this now it's out? I've failed to warm to any of it on first listen, I wish they'd get Scott Litt back!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I've heard it about twice all the way through. It's got a good feel to it, but the only track that's stood out was 'I'm Gonna DJ', which I've heard before. Give it time.

I'm fed up with R.E.M and their constant patronising slagging off of previous albums. Every time one rolls around we're told the last one was rubbish and the NEW one is the great return to form. I've forgotton the single already and don't feel in the mood to investigate the new album - contrary to what the band say, I've not heard that it contains a return to the catchy/melodic/touching/rocking/clever form that we all love them for.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I'm fed up with R.E.M and their constant patronising slagging off of previous albums. Every time one rolls around we're told the last one was rubbish and the NEW one is the great return to form.
    To be fair though, most bands I can think of do that a lot. The new album on second listen, seemed to have a few good tracks, but nothing anywhere near remotely what you'd call a "classic". They seemd to have tried to ape their old sound, at the expense of a good tune. And the production, to my ears, is just so dull.

They did a big article in Q last month, completely angled towards this being the big 'recaptured genius' and the last album being rubbish, which was the motivation for my remark. It particuarly rankles this time because both Q (who joined in this stance) and R.E.M themselves heaped lavish praise on "Reveal" when it came out. At the time I was quite amazed at their TV ad tag line - "A stunning return to form" - because it effectively said the band's last album (them, "Up", which they also loved at the time) was tosh.

I wrote a letter to Q this month pointing all this out - they didn't print it, but they did print another letter saying the same thing.

Si.

I think the article and interview in Q was abit rubbish to be honest. You can really sense Stipe's dissatisfaction with the questions he's being asked. It feels as if they were being forced question after question about the last album being shit (which it mostly was, but I'd say kind things about Leaving New York and Around the Sun) until they're forced to admit the last ten years was all rubbish. As it is Reveal was given 5 stars by Q at the time, and I still think it's one of their finest records and the "mush" it is described as in the article. I'm very unimpressed.

That said, the new album is better than Around the Sun. It's not great, but it's an enjoyable listen. I think it's going to take a little while to be loved though, but a couple of songs are beginning to stand out. It's not my favourite album so far this year, that'd be The Feeling's Join With Us.

Si xx

Man Sized Wreath is a standout track! Although not that much of a standout, it took 5 or 6 listens to spot it.

The most annoying track is the one where he says 'Mr.Richards' repeatedly. Grrr!

First week sales of the last four REM albums (all debuting at No.1)....

Reveal (2001) 110,753
    In Time (2003) 114,110
    Around The Sun (2004) 69,676
    Accelerate (2008) 60,778

I didn't realise the single didn't make the Top 40?

REM have had more No.1 albums in the UK than any other American band.

I liked Mr.Richards......

I liked Mr.Richards......
    I do too

Si xx

The Mighty George Strait keeps 'Accelerate' off the top of the Billboard album chart:

Quote Originally Posted by Billboard.com
    Strait Speeds Past R.E.M. To Debut At No. 1

April 09, 2008, 11:00 AM ET

by Katie Hasty, N.Y.

For the fourth time in his career, country vet George Strait earns the No. 1 spot on The Billboard 200 with "Troubadour." According to Nielsen SoundScan, the MCA Nashville album moved 166,000 copies, more than enough to push him to the summit of the Top Country Albums tally, his 22nd No. 1 there. The Billboard 200 has hosted at least one new entry from Strait every year since 1984.

R.E.M. scores its highest sales and charting week in nearly 12 years with the Warner Bros. set "Accelerate," which debuts at No. 2 with 115,000. "New Adventures in Hi-Fi" also started at No. 2 in September 1996.

The multi-label "NOW 27" compilation experiences an 11% sales loss to 60,000, though it climbs 5-3. Last week's chart-topper, Day26's self-titled Bad Boy effort, falls to No. 4 with 51,000, a whopping 73% sales decline. In its 18th week on the chart, the Fox/Razor & Tie soundtrack to "Alvin and the Chipmunks" propels itself back into the top 10 16-5 with a 111% sales increase (also with 51,000); the film was released on DVD on April 1.

Rapper Trina bows with "Still Da Baddest" (Slip-N-Slide) at No. 6 with 47,000, her first top 10 set. Her last album, "Glamorest Life," entered at No. 11, though with better sales at 77,000.

Danity Kane's sophomore album, "Welcome to the Dollhouse" (Bad Boy), descends 4-7 with 47,0000 (-47%), while Counting Crows' "Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings" (Geffen) slips 3-8 with 43,000 (-59%). With 41,000, Rick Ross' "Trilla" (Slip-N-Slide/Def Jam) falls 6-9 on a 20% sales dip.

Van Morrison's Lost Highway album "Keep It Simple" earns the songwriter his first top 10 hit of his 40-plus-year career, debuting at No. 10 with 37,000. His previous high water marks were with 2005's "Magic Time" and 2002's "Down the Road," both at No. 25.

In a week where 31 titles debut on the chart, the Rolling Stones' Interscope soundtrack to its Martin Scorsese-directed concert film "Shine a Light" bows at No. 11 with 37,000, while the Black Keys' "Attack and Release" (Nonesuch) begins at No. 14 with 29,000, both career bests for the Akron, Ohio-based duo.

Rock act Sevendust's "Chapter VII: Hope and Sorrow" (Asylum) has a No. 19 start with 25,000 and George Michael's Epic retrospective "Twentyfive" debuts at No. 23 with 23,000.

Album sales this week are down 3.5% compared to last week at 7.99 million and down 24.5% against the same week in 2007.
    None too shabby.