Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Default The Radio Times Thread: Companions Magazine Offer

It's starting already - in the issue for 2-8 December on sale now we have The Runaway Bride featured as No. 1 out of their Top 20 festive programmes to look out for, plus the Doctor and Rose's farewell at the end of Doomsday is their Moment of the Year in their Review of 2006!

But will we be getting another Whoey front cover for the Christmas/New Year double issue? Personally I think not and am expecting a generic artwork festive cover...

I agree - I expect Doctor Who will be one of the shows mentioned on the front page, but the image itself will, I think, be snowman/santa/snowy scene sort of stuff.

I think we'll get Tennant and Tate (with wedding dress) in a snow scene cover...

or what Andrew said above.

Edited to add: I was going to PM Jonno yesterday and demand a new Radio Times thread.
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 29th Nov 2006 at 1:01 AM.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    I think we'll get Tennant and Tate (with wedding dress) in a snow scene cover...
    Cheesy Tears is probably right, he usually is

Cheesy Tears is a damn crazy fool!

plus the Doctor and Rose's farewell at the end of Doomsday is their Moment of the Year in their Review of 2006!
    If that's the moment of the year, I'm an aardvark.

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post

or what Andrew said above.

Edited to add: I was going to PM Jonno yesterday and demand a new Radio Times thread.

Well I reckon we'll be getting a picture of Tennent and Tate on one of the other tv listings magazines..

We did have another Who-related cover last week, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    We did have another Who-related cover last week, of course...

took me a moment to work that one out..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    If that's the moment of the year, I'm an aardvark.
    Well Lord Aardvark, it was that or Big Brother...

Rumours of a Who cover for the next issue (the one before Christmas that's only on sale for about four days) over on Outpost Gallifrey and this story from yesterday's Media Guardian:

http://media.guardian.co.uk/presspub...963813,00.html

Journalists aim strike at Radio Times
    Leigh Holmwood
    Monday December 4, 2006
    MediaGuardian.co.uk

The Christmas double issue of the Radio Times - the title's biggest selling edition of the year - could be disrupted by a journalists' strike going ahead from midnight tonight.

NUJ members at BBC Worldwide's magazines division met today and agreed to go ahead with the 48 hour strike from midnight, threatening to halt publication of the Radio Times' bumper, two-week Christmas and New Year edition for the first time in its 83-year history.

The NUJ estimates that around 40 BBC Worldwide staff will walk out in a dispute over the annual pay deal. But a BBC Worldwide spokesman said only 22 journalists were involved.

BBC Worldwide has offered a 2.8% pay rise, refusing to match the rate of inflation, which stood at 3% at the time of negotiations in June, according to the NUJ.

The strike will mainly affect the Christmas double edition of the Radio Times and is due to last for two days - starting on Tuesday December 5 at 12.01am and ending on the following day at 23.59pm.

"Given that the retail price index has now risen to 3.7%, staff believe the company's refusal to at least match the level of inflation is unacceptable," an NUJ spokesman said.

The union has particularly targeted the Christmas issue of the Radio Times as it is one of the most high profile editions of any magazine BBC Worldwide publishes.

However, a BBC spokesman said the action would not affect production and that the Radio Times Christmas edition would still go on sale from Saturday.

"We'd like to reassure our readers that Radio Times' Christmas and New Year double issue will be appearing on UK shelves on December 9 as planned and will not be affected by December 5 and 6's 48-hour strike action," the spokesman said.

"The magazine has never missed a Christmas issue in its 83-year history," he added.

"However, we're disappointed that 22 BBC Magazines' NUJ members have voted to take industrial action over the pay settlement made in June and that they have timed their action to coincide with the most critical trading period on our biggest magazine."

Members of fellow broadcasting union Bectu agreed to accept the BBC Worldwide pay deal in a ballot in August.

Tomorrow's "It's Nearly Christmas!" RT cover can be glimpsed in the Evening Standard/Colin Firth article below:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/showbi...rth/article.do

Tennant's hair destroys the week before Christmas Radio Times cover for me.
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 5th Dec 2006 at 2:51 PM. Reason: it would help if I posted the actual link! ;-)

nice to see Doctor Who on the front cover of Radio Times yet again..

The cover for tomorrow's issue is now up on the RT site:

http://www.radiotimes.com/content/magflash/

It looks like Doctor Who still makes the front of the Christmas issue as well. It's a traditional RT Christmas cover, but there's a "FREE DOCTOR WHO CD INSIDE Don't miss part one of this thrilling two-part story read by David Tennant!" flash across the bottom. The Feast of the Drowned is pictured! Thanks to OG's TaraLivesOn - who "found" the Christmas cover on their site.
    Last edited by Milky Tears; 5th Dec 2006 at 7:06 PM. Reason: too much RT info overload!!

Wow free gift!

I do feel sorry for the Who-haters out there...all these Radio Times covers, is Doctor Who going to be the programme with the most covers of all time?

I knew we wouldn't get the double issue cover - but it never crossed my mind that we'd get the issue before!

Thought it was supposed to be out today (Wednesday), but didn't notice it anywhere. Unless it's been affected by this strike?

Here's the Christmas cover that was "found" on the RT website:

http://xs410.xs.to/xs410/06492/radiotimes-12-2006a.jpg

and here's the cover of the Christmas TV & Satellite Week:

http://www.tvandsatelliteweek.blogspot.com/

Some interesting BBC7/'Blood of the Daleks' spoilers in the Christmas issue. It's mentioned on the OG news page.

Just glancing through the double issue that I got today makes me realise what a Whotastic festive season this is - the Confidential and The Runaway Bride on the big day itself, the last three episodes of Torchwood, The Sarah Jane Adventues on New Years Day and even that BBC7 season kicking off with Daleks on New Years Eve.

All this and the first of four free audio CDs - you don't even have to collect tokens and send off for them!

Enjoy every moment of it folks, we're in a golden age and it won't always be like this!

I wish I was ten years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    Enjoy every moment of it folks, we're in a golden age and it won't always be like this!
    *Rubs chin and back of neck*
    There never was a golden age. And don't run with scissors. Be careful with kettles as they sometimes contain boiling water.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

And when you tell others about it, don't glamorourise it! Tell them about "Celebrity Love Island" and "Make Me A Supermodel". Tell them about the shows that won't be going to DVD...

Si.

I thought you were!

Meant to post this earlier in the week, but didn't have the time/forgot (a bit of each!)

Just a reminder that the current issue (whose listings start today) contains part 1 of the audiobook of The Stone Rose - part 2 on sale Tuesday. Has anyone listened to Feast of the Drowned from the Christmas/New Year issues? Any good?

Also, Torchwood Part 1 DVD is reviewed inside.

'Feast of the Drowned' is worth it just to listen to Tennant doing Mickey and Keisha.

My copy of 'The Stone Rose' is still attached to the page.