Thread: Goldfrapp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default Goldfrapp

Surprisingly, we didn't have a Goldfrapp thread till I created this one! Alison Goldfrapp & Will Gregory are releasing their fourth album, Seventh Tree, on Feb 25th:

I'm looking forward to it - there's going to be a deluxe version with bonus DVD

So, any fans?

Have you heard the new material Pip? It's apparently quite a departure from "Supernature".

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

I've heard the forthcoming single A+E, and an album track called Happiness. I like both I find something to like about each album - be it out and out synth pop like on 'Supernature' or dark ambient music like 'Felt Mountain'. They keep reinventing their sound with each album, I respect that, as Pulp often did that

Got to hear it t'other day, and it's very good. As you say, it's quite a departure from Supernature. Much closer is sound to Felt Mountain, imo. And A+E seemed like the standout track on first listen.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Have you heard the new material Pip? It's apparently quite a departure from "Supernature".
    I hope so! I didn't like the whole 70's retro Donna Summer does 'Spirit in the Sky' routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    dark ambient music like 'Felt Mountain'
    I loved that stuff myself. I appreciate that they want to move on, but i'd like them to keep doing just a few tracks in that style. It didn't hurt on 'Black Cherry', which was something of a transitional album.
    Led Zeppelin are a great example of versatility, but part of their success was because they continued to represent all their different influences even as they progressed. You don't have to abandon absolutely every musical style you've ever covered in order to continue to keep things fresh. Variety is the spice of life & all that.
    Anyway, i'm very interested to hear what direction they're going in at the moment. But the futher away from 'Supernature' the better, for my tastes.

Edited to add:
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Vale View Post
    As you say, it's quite a departure from Supernature. Much closer is sound to Felt Mountain, imo.

Pip Madeley Guest

From what I've heard, it's more folk-ish, what with the acoustic guitar - I think Wayne will like it.

I really like Felt Mountain but not so keen on the other albums, so if this new one is more like that then 'I look forward to it's release'!

Ant Cox in "Interested in 'Pop' Music'" shocker!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    From what I've heard, it's more folk-ish, what with the acoustic guitar - I think Wayne will like it.
    Sunds interesting. Perhaps Alison's heard Samantha Whates Wouldn't be a bad thing, eh Steve?

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    I really like Felt Mountain but not so keen on the other albums, so if this new one is more like that then 'I look forward to it's release'!

Ant Cox in "Interested in 'Pop' Music'" shocker!

This news will create a ripple that will rock PS to its very foundations!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Someone's very exciteable today - it's amazing what the anticipation of a trip to the other side of the world can do for yor spirits......

I don't know what you mean! Excitable? Me?

Si xx

I can just imagine you skipping around the library singing "I'm going to New Zealand!" in a very loud Vera Jundrey voice, and all the patrons pointing to the 'Keep Quiet' sign and going "Shhh!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Perhaps Alison's heard Samantha Whates Wouldn't be a bad thing, eh Steve?
    Ha, maybe!

Users of Last FM might want to listen to Samantha Whates here

http://www.last.fm/music/Samantha+Whates

the artist gets paid something, rather than Myspace.

Anyways, back to Alison......
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Looking forward to this as I'm quite a fan. "Black cherry" and "Supernature" were great albums, but were obviously a shock to people who think of albums as something trendy to put on their coffee table, or people with a loathing of electronica.
    Disco, incidently, is not a dirty word, and not everything produced in it's name was shite. "Strict machine" is my favoutite 'frapp track, by the way...it's just relentlessly sexual!

So..."Wicker man" inspired pagan folk for the new album apparently.....I'll be right at home.

If you haven't seen it then a perusal of the video to A&E might brighten up your day.

Heck, even if you have seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VPyso87fZU

Out on the 11th folks!
    explodes

I heard 'A+E' for the first time this morning, and thought it sounded very good, although I didn't realise it was Goldfrapp until Wogan said so!

I've read a couple of reviews of 'Seventh Tree' from consumers on such sites as Amazon, and they've all said the same thing, that it's quite a departure from the last two albums, although many of thim don't even mention 'Felt Mountain', almost as if they don't realise that album even exists! OK, so 'Black Cherry' and 'Super Nature' (both of which I really liked) were the albums that probably really broke them, but it's a shame if the debut album were to be ignored by the general public, as it's a wonderful record. If 'Seventh Tree' is in any way similar, then I'm looking forward to it.

Incidentally, I love the rather simple-but-effective new album cover. It reminds me of one of those prog-folk albums from the early 70's, probably released on Harvest or somesuch label.

Or maybe an advert for hairspray.

Wayne Guest

I only initially heard Goldfrapp purely by chance, when 'Lovely Head' was on TOTP2 roundabout 2003! I just thought 'Wow, who's this!?'
    I got 'Felt Mountain' a few days later from Nottm library. I think it had already been out for 2 or 3 years!
    Last edited by Wayne; 5th Feb 2008 at 8:03 PM.

I saw the video for A+E on Q or NME channel or something at the weekend, it's excellent. Lots of leaf-people! And the keyboards guy not noticing the madness that his fellow band member is getting up to and having a nice cup of tea instead (I wonder if she went to the same A+E that Supergrass went to on the song 'Kiss of Life'?)

It's mellow, but it's not boring like some of the songs from Black Cherry.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Been listening to 'Supernature' and 'Black Cherry' today (needed something to drown out the racket and the most boring man in Britain (TM) sitting behind me on the bus this evening- not least when said most boring man's colleague threw herself out of the window rather than listen to him droning on in a Birmingham accent) and remembered this thread.

'Strict Machine' did nothing for me but then I didn't expect it would- anything sexual tends to leave me feeling uncomfortable and contaminated- although 'Slippage' did sound rather like somebody having a heavy petting session with 'The Sea Devils' on in the background. Electronic music is interesting, though- the absence of physical instruments (as far as possible) means that it can transcend the material world and the curse of physical existence, and yet with Goldfrapp it's also so sensual.

Wayne Guest

As far as 'Black Cherry' goes, i like 'Slippage', 'Deep Honey', 'Forever', 'Hairy Trees', & 'Black Cherry' itself.
    You can keep the rest.

Try and avoid seeing the video for Strict Machine if you feel easily tainted then... it's a touch pervy.

If, on the other hand, you like feeling a touch pervy, it'll be right up your cheesy wotsits.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wayne Guest

Obviously, those tracks are aural taste, rather than visual taste.

Had no idea they were releasing a new album. I will of course be getting it!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    As far as 'Black Cherry' goes, i like 'Slippage', 'Deep Honey', 'Forever', 'Hairy Trees', & 'Black Cherry' itself.
    You can keep the rest.
    I'm sure I could get Wayne drunk and dancing to "Train". Maybe I could dress him up like the video.

Oh my!

Si xx