Default TV's Keith Floyd Collapses

It's not been a good week for 1980's light entertainment stars...

TV chef Keith Floyd has been taken to hospital after collapsing on his return to the UK from Thailand.

"It's probably exhaustion," his agent Stan Green said. "He was in hospital a year ago with a similar complaint.

"He recovered from that, so let's hope he recovers from this. We understand he's stable," he told BBC Radio Stoke.

Floyd, 64, had just spent six weeks in Thailand and was taken ill earlier this week while staying at a pub in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire.

The Chesters pub is run by his friend Glenn Geldard, who said: "He is not doing very well. I've just been down to the hospital now."

'Hard work'

The chef had been visiting his restaurant in Thailand, a trip which would have involved "hard work", Mr Green said.

A spokeswoman for the University Hospital of North Staffordshire said she was unable to comment or "give information out about patients".

Floyd, from Faringdon in Oxfordshire, shot to fame in the mid-1980s when he presented a series of cookery programmes with a glass of red wine in his hand.

He was banned from driving for two and a half years in 2004 after crashing his car into another vehicle while three and a half times over the legal alcohol limit.

He went on to front a police campaign against drink-driving.
    What do we think of him? Sounds like he needs to slow down a bit.

Si.

The week of drinking whiskey to get over his wife leaving him might have been best avoided, though i see that didn't make it into that report!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

WhiteCrow Guest

He seems a great guy, but lord he has a weakness for alcohol. I don't think I've seen him do a recipe yet which wasn't "open a bottle, now add a teaspoon of wine to this, and erm... you might as well drink the rest ...".