Default Kevin Stoney Dead

Kevin Stoney has died on jan 20th 2008 according to Rogues and Vagabonds website
    He was INCREDIBLY old. A Doctor Who stalwart.

RIP.

Si.

Oh my goodness. He had a bloody good innings didn't he. Considering DWAS thought he died in 1985, he's done very well.
    As it is, he stands as one of the finest Doctor Who guest stars there has ever been- with two great villains and a good guest star role as well in Revenge of the Cybermen. As well as appearances in just about every great series there's been since.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Wayne Guest

errr..... How old was he then?

He was born in 1921 apparently.

Si xx

Last thing we saw him in was his nice little turn as the old Soothsayer in I, Claudius - He seemed old then and that was around 30 years ago!

He was excellent in those roles he played in Doctor Who and Blakes 7, all those years ago. RIP.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wayne Guest

A good innings then. But anyway, RIP Kevin. A great character actor.

Sad news.

I'd have to agree with Si Hart in that he was amongst the best actors the series ever saw, and in fact I'd say that his performance as Tobias Vaughn is a masterclass in how to play a convincing villain.

RIP Kevin, and thoughts to your family.

Tobias Vaughn was his finest hour. An excellent portrayal & well judged.
    Those Cyber-implants certainly kept him going for a good number of year.

R.I.P Kevin.

Pip Madeley Guest

Terribly sad news. The man was a wonderful actor, as Ant said, his Tobias Vaughn was just sublime... I think I'll watch an episode of 'The Invasion' tonight in his memory.

By the way, not too sure about the 'comical' comma in the thread title. A bit disrespectful in my book, IMHO.

Sorry to hear of his death, it's good that he got to make an appearance in The Invasion extras (if I'm correct).

An obituary:

Veteran actor Kevin Stoney achieved national fame when he appeared in three Doctor Who serials, The Daleks' Master Plan (1965), The Invasion (1968) and Revenge of the Cybermen (1975). Born in 1921 he began his career in repertory and during World War Two served in the RAF in the Middle East. After the war he was regularly on the West End stage and broke into television in the early fifties. Among his many TV credits were The Prisoner, Doomwatch, Ace of Wands, The New Avengers, Blake's 7, Inspector Morse and Bergerac.

He was also noted for his role as the astrologer Thrasyllus in the 1976 BBC adaptation of I, Claudius, a role he had earlier played in Granada TV's 1969 series The Caesars. Although he had retired from acting in the 1990s he was much in demand as a guest at Doctor Who conventions worldwide. He died at his home in Chiswick on 20 January, 2008.

Pip Madeley Guest

I'd forgotten his appearance in The Prisoner - "The Chimes Of Big Ben" I think it was. He was very good in that too, mixing authority with smarm and villainy.

Default Kevin Stoney RIP

It seems to be a bad couple of weeks for celebrity deaths.

We all know him as Mavic Chen from Dalek Masterplan and as Tobias Vaughan in The Invasion, both roles which he approached with relish, and which have been universally praised over the years, and undoubtedly would have been much different without him.
    But, like a good many veteran actors, Stoney appeared in much much more than Dr. Who, he appeared in The Prisoner, The Avengers and I Claudius to name but three.
    I was looking forward to meeting Stoney at Gloucester last October, but he was ill and unable to attend.

Such a shame that he has now left us.

RIP Kevin Stoney.
    Last edited by Stephen Morgan; 4th Feb 2008 at 3:46 PM.

Just going to move this to the existing thread in general Doctor Who, Stephen.

Si xx

Sorry Si, I was just so surprised that he had died I didn't realise a thread already existed.

That's ok.

Si xx

another sad loss - we are sadly starting to lose nearly every body associated with those early days of Doctor Who - you just wonder who's going to be next.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    By the way, not too sure about the 'comical' comma in the thread title. A bit disrespectful in my book, IMHO.
    Almost certainly intended as an allusion to the events of 1985, where Stoney's death was widely reported among the DWAS and by DWB in particular, leading to red faces all around- for those of us who've been around since the 1980s, his actual death when it came was always bound to recall that particular incident. But given his age and his not-brilliant state of health on the 'Invasion' DVD not a complete shock either.

Interesting that he was only really in his mid-fifties when he played Vaughn; he seems to have been one of those actors who can play any age between 50 and 80 from middle-age onwards. Incidentally, the obituary also overlooks his role as the PM in the John Mills Quatermass- one in a string of well-executed character roles, in fact I'd be surprised if you checked his acting CV if he hadn't been in practically everything at some point.