Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

I fell asleep whilst watching the extras and woke up half an hour ago. That's how bloomin' marvellous it is.

Finally got round to getting this on Saturday and devoured most of it over the weekend.

Breezed through the story – it’s never been one of my absolute favourites and it’s still a very enjoyable story, and I noticed a couple of things here and there which I’d not seen before.

The main documentary was good – it was nice to see so many of the cast interviewed. I was especially pleased to see how sprightly and enthusiastic Dudley Simpson looked, considering he’s 86, but I must admit I did have a little difficulty in understanding what he was saying as his accent is very strong! I’m looking forward to the promised stand-alone Dudley Simpson feature on a forthcoming DVD (which presumably the snippet on Getting A Head was from).

The CGI studio design thing was interesting but a bit short, and The Barry Newberry feature was also interesting.

The commentary was good, but perhaps not quite as good as I expected. I think maybe five contributors all the way through is a bit much, I could sense some of them interrupting or talking over each other. It’s always a bit of a coup to get Tom to partake in a commentary seeing as he apparently picks and chooses which ones he wants to do, but the irony is that he doesn’t actually contribute that much to them apart from laughing a lot and commenting on Lis Sladen’s body parts. I still enjoyed the commentary overall, though, as everyone else contributed well t the proceedings. I always enjoy Lis Sladen’s commentaries as she tends to pay a lot of attention to how the stories progress and is very complementary (in a properly sincere and non-luvvie way) about the productions standards.

I haven’t looked at the photo or sketch galleries – to be honest I don’t usually bother with these or the production subtitles, or the Radio Times listings.

Overall, a very enjoyable release.