Pip Madeley Guest

Default Darkness On The Edge of Town

Discussion about Paul Clement's Fifth Doctor story "Darkness On The Edge of Town" for the PS website will be held here from Friday 1st December.
    Last edited by Paul Monk; 29th Nov 2006 at 9:47 AM.

well, it's now online, here: http://www.planetskaro.org.uk/creative/fanfic/

let us know what you think!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

let us know what you think!
    I think Paul Clement should stick to doing the washing up.

I've read up to the end of chapter one, but I didn't want to post anything until I'd finished it off. So far so good (although the pedant in me has spotted a couple of typos) and Davison's portrayal has been caught particularly well I think.

(although the pedant in me has spotted a couple of typos)
    I found one in the last line of the whole story too. I should have given it another check through beofre I sent it off.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    I found one in the last line of the whole story too. I should have given it another check through beofre I sent it off.
    Collect them up and they can be recified.

And then after that, they can be rectified.

(There'll be thrashings in the Admin office tonight, I can tell...)

As he reached the periphery of the, he looked back but the man who had once been Sebastian Marwood had gone,
    Last paragraph of the epilogue. There's a word missing, it should read periphery of the crowd.
    Last edited by Paul Clement; 1st Dec 2006 at 10:29 PM.

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    Last paragraph of the epilogue. There's a word missing, it should read periphery of the crowd.
    I meant collect them up in an e-mail, don't use this thread to nit pick

As for you Curnow, well, you like Open All Hours, so I'll let you off. For now...

I did have a version where I corrected the typos but it got lost in the great computer crash (when Jody spilled wine on the laptop) and in the haste to get the story to Pip I forgot to go through and check again.
    So my fault. Sorry.

Read the Interlude section this morning after breakfast, which was very enjoyable - you can't beat a good cliffhanger! And again, the regulars all come over very well, even to such details as Turlough's habit of always looking behind him as he moves.

Edited to add:I also thought that this summed up Turlough in a nutshell: "Work wasn’t a particularly pleasant notion to Turlough and manual work even less so"
    Last edited by Andrew Curnow; 3rd Dec 2006 at 11:40 AM.

When I wrote the first part of what is now the interlude section, I asked Treena to read through it as I was concerned that maybe I had gone a step too far. She felt that perhaps maybe I had and I had another good read through of it, and decided that keeping it in served a purpose in showing what the Old Ones were like and decided to keep it as it was. I'd love to know if anyone felt I had gone too far in that section.

you can't beat a good cliffhanger!
    I had that cliffhanger in mind almost from the outset. I'm quite pleased with the way that it panned out, though at the time I wasn't sure I'd done it justice.

I'm really enjoying Chapter One. I can hear the regulars saying all their lines!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I can hear the regulars saying all their lines!
    Thank you, Si. That was one of the things I was worried about whether I had got right.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

I would say the regulars are all very well-handled. Turlough especially comes across as very faithful to his on-screen self, but at the same time with a bit more depth.

Having finished the story now, I have to first say that I really enjoyed it. The various interludes back to the Great Old Ones broke the story up nicely, and I didn't twig how exactly that strand would tie up with the main action until very near the end - also, by having followed the 'backstory' to Lloigar in the interludes it neatly avoided having a huge 'infodump' speech from the Doctor.

If I had to make some criticism, I would have to say I did think the climax was just a bit rushed - Lord Marwood flings himself and Sebastian back into the vortex, and it's all over so quickly. But that is very much a minor criticism, it was just what struck me as I was reading it.

And the epilogue was very unexpected, a neat 'da-da-da' twist ending. All in all, a really enjoyable read, and hopefully the first of many on the new PS site!!