Default Blimey. There's a new Homespun album!

How did I not know? It's due out on Monday!

And it's called Short Stories From East Yorkshire. Homespun are Sam Brown (late eighties and nineties pop star who had hits with "Stop", "Kissing Gate" and "Can I Get A Witness") and Dave Rotheray, co-writer and guitarist with now-defunct Beautiful South. And some others.

I've got their two previous albums, "Homespun" and "Effortless Cool" and they are both really good - it's sort of acoustic, folky, slightly country-tinged wistful musical postcards, over which Brown purrs and belows in her odd, 30-a-day Croydon-accented croon. I find the albums good for melancholic rainy days in the car.

Anyone else going to add this to their Amazon shopping trolley?

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Sounds like a decent pop pedigree, but I'm afraid I'll pass

Why not listen to a few of their songs here and see what you think? You might be pleasantly surprised.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Now that's what I need - I tend to hear a song and go "wow that is amazing, I must here more". Mainly it's stuff I catch on Radio 2 which really wows me.

I have to say I thought Sam Browns Stop was one of the best songs of the 80s. I'll try the link later as the computer is running like a 3 legged dog at the moment.

Thanks Si!

WhiteCrow Guest

oh the curse of the double post ...

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    How did I not know?
    Sorry, I meant to mention this, thought you'd be interested!

I've got it, and as with the first two, really, really like it.

Apparently, from what I've heard, Sam Brown is having some problems with her voice, but can't say I noticed. It'd be nice to see them on Jools Holland, as they really deserve some better exposure.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

He's the sort to get them on. She obviously smokes and drinks heavily from her husky vocals, but that's sort of what make them enjoyable to listen to.

I'll be ordering this next month when I have cash to splash! I love "Short Stories" from their Myspace though.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    He's the sort to get them on.
    Indeed, and Sam has sung on a couple of Jools Holland albums, so I'm a bit mystified as to why they haven't been on. Unless they have & I simply haven't noticed?
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I must admit I've never heard of them, but they do sound quite intriguing, and possibly the sort of thing that would be up my street - I must give them a whirl some time.

I saw Sam Brown when she was doing backing vocals for Pink Floyd in 1994, and she's got an amazing voice - her solo part on 'The Great Gig In The Sky' was stunning.