Thread: 2.5 Adam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2.5 Adam

He's my man, so I only thought it be fitting . Plus, no one else started it (cos' apparently Si isn't here)

Mind you, just this Saturday we're getting "Meat", so it may be some time before I comment on Adam

Oh well, so long as my beloved wee Blythe is on the show, I'm happy

Last edited by FlyingBeastie; 13th Feb 2008 at 9:36 PM.

Wayne Guest

Nice big borders.
    Last edited by Wayne; 14th Feb 2008 at 12:40 AM.

Clever story cos when I first saw Adam I thought "who the hell is that ?" which 10 seconds later was Gwen's reaction, then it all made sense.

Wayne Guest

I liked this one. I thought Owen as a nerd was really funny.
    The Jack back story was a bit meh, but overall another good ep.

Bollocks! I want to see the behind the scenes but I can only see the site through text only... :-( I wanted to see my Blythe and Capt. Jack do some shenanigans

I enjoyed it but I didn't understand any of it! Who was he, just some random alien? What significance did the box have? Why did it open at the end? Why did Adam appear in Jack's memories? Why did Adam dissolve at the end?

It had me stumped I'm afraid.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    I enjoyed it but I didn't understand any of it! Who was he, just some random alien? What significance did the box have? Why did it open at the end? Why did Adam appear in Jack's memories? Why did Adam dissolve at the end?

It had me stumped I'm afraid.

Si.
    The box was part of Adam, I think, since its hinted that he appeared when they found it. When he stopped "exsisting" in memory, he died and the box became useless.

I think it's one of those shows best taken at face value rather than picked apart (and yes, I know that what fandom does!)

How cute was Geek Owen?

It's not exactly "picking it apart" to want to know how the ending actually made sense!

Why did the box open at the end? How did he stop existing "in memory"? It looked like a really good story if I could just understand what was going on.

Si.

It was a good story & well done but with no word of a lie I knew what was happening within the first 2 minutes. Why? Because it's a reworking of Border Prince, the Torchwood novel of several months ago. It's simplified & truncated but it is definitely the same basic story.
    That disappointed me a little, but the like Dalek/Jubilee, it did work & was enjoyable enough.

Ah, I've not read "Border Princes"! Maybe I should. Wasn't that by Dan Abnett though?

Si.

Yes it is & the script writer may say that it's not a reworking but the similarities are too strong for me to believe it isn't. The premise of memories being changed & a 'new' colleague being there without anyone realising & Gwen the first to say anything but then being integrated in to the web of lies is just too alike to the book not to be the source for this story IMO.

another solid and very enjoyable episode.

As soon as I saw Adam I thought - Border Princes too. However I thought the same about Girl in the Fireplace... there was a 9th Doctor / Rose novel pretty much the same. PLUS... the Warriors of the Kudlak story reminded me of the pig v hedgehog 9th Doctor / Rose story.
    Geoff

I was reminded of a Buffy S4 episode in which loner Jonathan had a spell cast so that he was very popular, desirable etc. and everyone else he interacted with had always known him to be like that. Even the regular opening credits scenes were slightly altered to have him in them, and sure enough so did Adam.

I really liked this anyway - it hit the ground running and I liked the fact he was already established there, adding to the mystery. The fact that he could only survive by feeding on their memories reminded me a little of Enlightenment too. Burn Gorman was brilliant as the nerdy Owen - I really felt for him when Tosh rejected him so blatantly for Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    I was reminded of a Buffy S4 episode in which loner Jonathan had a spell cast so that he was very popular, desirable etc. and everyone else he interacted with had always known him to be like that. Even the regular opening credits scenes were slightly altered to have him in them, and sure enough so did Adam.

I really liked this anyway - it hit the ground running and I liked the fact he was already established there, adding to the mystery. The fact that he could only survive by feeding on their memories reminded me a little of Enlightenment too. Burn Gorman was brilliant as the nerdy Owen - I really felt for him when Tosh rejected him so blatantly for Adam.
    I see your Buffy and raise you, Stargate SG1 "The 5th Man" Anyone?

Adam mentioned something about "the void" about being trapped in it. So does that mean the "breach" that Tennent was supposed to have sealed in DrWho2 is not so sealed and is that setting the scene for the return of Rose Tyler ?

Good point! You never know...

Si.

I thought it was more of a reference to the empty blackness that Susie mentioned in the first season when she was brought back to life.
    Geoff

I thought it was great up until the whole "Jack becomes Jesus" bit where he got the team to get their memories back and take the amnesia pills. That was far too mushy / nauseating for me.
    Why build an engine when you have a perfectly good whale?

Have we really gone this far without anyone mentioning Dawn?

This was another episode where there were some shockingly good bits and some shockingly bad ones. Kudos to Ianto for his false memory bit, anti-kudos for all that Tatooine nonsense with Jack and his family.

And Adam's powers must've been greater than anyone realised because he seems to have been able to make Owen forget that he wasn't short sighted.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

I was thinking Buffy but moreso my namesake, as I alluded to above. However, on reflection, Dawn is closer! And I've just realised that the episode title could have been a nod to the S4 "Big Bad".

I was thinking Buffy but moreso my namesake, as I alluded to above. However, on reflection, Dawn is closer! And I've just realised that the episode title could have been a nod to the S4 "Big Bad".
    And you can't say Dawn without saying Rini!

*crickets*

...Sailor Moon anyone?

Not to sound like a Wheadon-basher (I LOVE Joss) but he has ripped off many aspects from Sailor Moon and has reused them for Buffy. Which isn't bad, I'm just pointing it out... (btw, what happened with Dawn on Buffy- SAME thing with Rini. Fake sister, yadda-yadda-yadda)

I've never heard of Sailor Moon! Did it cross the Atlantic?

I've just watched this now thanks to the BBC iplayer and really enjoyed it, it's the first 'serious' episode that's really grabbed me. Funnily enough I preferred the revised versions of the characters more than the usual ones, it's a shame that Burn Gorman didn't stay as geeky Owen somehow.

The ending was a bit stretched out, with Adam's final attempt to stay alive, but bar that I thought it was top stuff, and hope the rest of this series is this strong.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

I've never heard of Sailor Moon! Did it cross the Atlantic?
    It's a Japanese Anime. Here ya go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailor_Moon