Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    WhiteCrow Guest

Default Music you're ashamed to like ...

I was in ASDA today and there was a song I've heard a lot and really like called Shine.

I asked my wife if she knew who sung it, and she told me it was Take That.

I told her it couldn't possibly be, because I hate Take That, and I liked this song.

But damn she was right!

I still think Bros are rubbish though, and Hansen are just a bunch of one-hit wonders ...

I'm not ashamed of any of the music I like!

And I own everything Steps ever released.

I've got some stuff that is a bit cheesy but hey what the hell! Karen Carpenter had a great voice!

It's a dirty old shame when all you get from love is a love song but the best love songs are written with a broken heart...

I'm not ashamed of any music I like. Who cares what other people think? I'd hate to be so unsure of myself that I had to apologise for the things I like.

Si.

The question is why do you 'hate' Take That? Is it to do with what they are or represent rather than what they sound like?

WhiteCrow Guest

I've never been a fan of any of their previous work, and in fact I'd say generally their brand of plastic pop never really appealed to me. So yeah quite taken aback that they've ever produced anything I went so far as actually liked!

I have an Aqua album on my MP3 which I'm slightly ashamed of, as I really like most of the songs on it.

Pip Madeley Guest

I'm with Si, never be ashamed of yourself - I like Phil Collins, so I've learnt not to give a toss! Speaking of whom, today we recieved a signed & personalised publicity photo from the man himself after my dad wrote to him wishing him happy birthday and thanking him for the Genesis tour. Not many would go to that trouble.

Wayne Guest

I'm not ashamed of any of the music I like!
    Niether am i, but then i have no reason to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Niether am i, but then i have no reason to be.
    thats cos you're a music snob! - being a musician n'all

Wayne Guest

I'm not ashamed of that either.

quite right! - oh and I love "Raindrops keep falling on my head"

Wayne Guest

Done much knitting today?

I'll knit your arse if you like

Wayne Guest

Pervert.

What's wrong with Aqua? "Barbie Girl" is cheesy but if you look beyond that they actually reveal themselves to be a quirky but highly intelligent group. If "Turn Back Time" was done today by Coldplay, everyone would love it. And "Cartoon Heroes" is just brilliant on any level.

Si.

I'm still vewy vewy pwoud of my Girlfriend/Let Loose singles and Wilmot album.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    I've never been a fan of any of their previous work, and in fact I'd say generally their brand of plastic pop never really appealed to me. So yeah quite taken aback that they've ever produced anything I went so far as actually liked!

I have an Aqua album on my MP3 which I'm slightly ashamed of, as I really like most of the songs on it.
    AQUA!!??

But yeah, Take That are plastic pop horror! Different brand of plastic pop though, I suppose!

I do like Take That's new music far better than the '90s stuff.

It's funny, but Take That are singers, they sing along while other people play, the same as Amy Winehouse does. Yet for some reason one of them is "plastic pop" and the other is vintage soul or something. What's the difference? She has a slightly better voice? Or just more dreary songs?

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Lets see - albums I've bought and I'm ashamed of owning ...

• The Best of Gary Glitter (obvious reasons why)
    • The Best of Roy Obinson
    • Climie Fisher
    • B*witched
    • Spice Girls/SpiceWorld (they were for my wife honest)
    • Aqua - Aquarium
    • The Best of the Lightning Seeds
    • Pulp - Different Class (it's all a bit pretensious at times)

I had a friend who once wanted a best of Phil Collins CD, but even though it wasn't for me, I couldn't take that chance, so ended up getting him a CD voucher instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    It's funny, but Take That are singers, they sing along while other people play, the same as Amy Winehouse does. Yet for some reason one of them is "plastic pop" and the other is vintage soul or something. What's the difference? She has a slightly better voice? Or just more dreary songs?

Si.
    More speech impediments?

Pip Madeley Guest

I had a friend who once wanted a best of Phil Collins CD, but even though it wasn't for me, I couldn't take that chance, so ended up getting him a CD voucher instead.
    *sharpens his knife*

'Shine' is the Take That song it's alright for everyone to like!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    Lets see - albums I've bought and I'm ashamed of owning ...

The Best of Roy Obinson...
    What's wrong with Roy Orbison!? One of the finest voices in all of popular music!

Wayne Guest

Yet for some reason one of them is "plastic pop" and the other is vintage soul or something.
    It's just different marketing. Winehouse as a base product has a stronger voice, which can be specially blended for retroheads who missed out on Phil Spector & 60's soul. Throw in the word 'jazzy', to attract the wannabe arty crowd, & meanwhile the trendy crack-head angle comes in handy for added drug coolness, & bob's yer uncle. Market cornered.
    Media fuelled record company dream. Guaranteed to make mega bucks in a world where even Pete wotziface who used to shag Kate Moss doesn't get out of bed for less than ten grand.

Hey, i could get a job on 'The Sun' doing this shit!

WhiteCrow Guest

What's wrong with Aqua? "
    Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    *sharpens his knife*

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    ' What's wrong with Roy Orbison!? One of the finest voices in all of popular music!
    I'm not really making new friends with this thread am I?

Actually one band I'm probably quite ashamed liking any of their songs is Oasis. Mainly because I feel if you say you like them, it's like you're buying into this whole "the greatest band, better than the Beatles" crap. Their songs are not bad, but a bit samey, and feel like things you've heard before, so never as revolutionary as some music journalists would have you believe.

Actually one band I'm probably quite ashamed liking any of their songs is Oasis. Mainly because I feel if you say you like them, it's like you're buying into this whole "the greatest band, better than the Beatles" crap. Their songs are not bad, but a bit samey, and feel like things you've heard before, so never as revolutionary as some music journalists would have you believe.
    Yes, you have a point here. You can't like Oasis either because they became big, successful and therefore it looks like you're bandwagon-jumping, or because the media say they're now "shit" and therefore it makes you look out of date. You can't like Aqua because they did that cheesy Barbie Girl song for kids. And you can't like Take That because they're beloved of teenage girls and Marks & Spencer shoppers.

Here's an idea! Why doesn't everyone listen to everything for themselves and MAKE THEIR OWN MIND UP!

It ain't rocket science.

Si.