Thread: Addicted to Who

Default Addicted to Who

How long can you go without watching any who and enjoy a fulfilling accomplished life - my track record is 16 years so it's unbeatable I reckon but then I'm an old git I'm just curious how many times and how often posters here have actually watched the show and can you really judge the entertainment value of the episodes with such over familiarity?

I certainly can't come close to matching you record, Ralph, but I certainly went a good 6 or 7 years (up till the new series aired in 2005) without watching any Who, after I got fed up with them due to over-familiarity in the late 90s. There just wasn't the same fun watching them when you knew what was coming up next all the time, I felt. And there was just too much other good stuff out there to keep up with! It's really only been in the past few years that I've really had the inclination to watch some of them again. I'm finding them much more enjoyable these days after that significant gap in my viewing schedule...there are currently quite a few stories which I haven't seen since the early/mid 90s which should be due a viewing in the near future, and I'm actually looking forward to watching them for the first time in ages!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    can you really judge the entertainment value of the episodes with such over familiarity?
    It's down to individual perspective of course, but if you can watch something (whatever it is) several times & enjoy it every time, then i'd say that puts you in a position to be able to judge it's so called 'entertainment value'. After all, 'judgement' is basically an opinion, & as such, these things are subjective. But i think it's good to have an informed opinion.

Back later to talk about how often i've watched stuff. Dinner is cooking.....

I am in no way addicted to watcing Doctor Who. The fact I have the stories means that I can watch them when ever I want...so therefore I don't watch them. I catch it on UKGold (Series 1&2 mostly) but I've not put a DVD in since Key to Time came out. I'm not sure what's wrong with me but I'm just not driven to watch them recently. I'm just waiting to be kicked out of here for not being a proper fan. (I still can't recall the season order without looking it up!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    I'm just waiting to be kicked out of here for not being a proper fan.
    Oh don't be silly!

Wayne hardly watches Who and he's not going anywhere, is he? And besides, we're not just here fon PS for DW, are we?

Captain Tancredi Guest

I didn't have a television in any shape or form when I moved into my last place about ten years ago, and it stayed that way for six weeks so no Who there- in fact between leaving my folks' at 18 and getting my own TV and VCR at 25, the only Who I had regular access to would have been the videos back at my mum and dad's, so it would have been about a month at a time.

The last big gap would have been the rest I took in between transmission of 'The Parting of the Ways' and the DVD 'Revelation of the Daleks'.

Well, I have to saythat perhaps half of the time I've been posting on PS, I've been dead to the idea of talking about Dr. Who (and usually watching it as well) I'm a big fan, don't get me wrong, but I'm no uber-fan and there's many times were it's the very last thing I want to see. But that's me all over- I'm into a lot of things and I only have so many hours to do them in!
    But I must like it for all the cringe-worthy 'RTD raped my childhood' "jokes" I wade through on the average Who thread! Maybe it's a woman thing....

I'm heading for a Who lull at the moment, after a recent time of viewing activity. I think "Brain of Morbius" comingout on DVD zand the new series will bring me back to Who-life!

I've never seen any of it. What's it about?

Pip Madeley Guest

Some thin bloke going round the universe in a blue box snogging girls.

The fact I have the stories means that I can watch them when ever I want...so therefore I don't watch them.
    I'm much the same, though to be honest I have a number of non-Who videos and I don't watch them much either. The day they drag Wayne and you and Carol away, they'll be carting me off with you. NOW you can be frightened!

Quite...

No, I've only watched four stories since Last Of The Time Lords went out, two of them were the ones BBC1 showed over Christmas. The one thing I do miss is new PDAs though, I enjoy reading the books, even when they're pretty dire. The EDAs and PDAs/ NAs and MAs were like two new adventures a month. We're still getting TDAs, but new adventures with old Doctors... there's only four Doctors on BF, you could get nine if they brought back the PDAs. But now I'm wandering off at a tangent I think. New books are more stories to appreciate than just the TV, but I'm more of a book person than a TV person, not that I'd disregard the TV episodes off-hand; plenty of people are the exact opposite. Horses for courses I suppose.

I am in no way addicted to watcing Doctor Who. The fact I have the stories means that I can watch them when ever I want...
    pretty much the same for me, I'm a fan but I'm certainly not a fan to the point of obsession where you watch an episode a day or several stories a week as I'd quickly get thoroughly bored with it. I don't know what's the longest I've gone with out watching an episode but most of the time (when the new series is not on) i'll happely go months without even wanting to watch one and then i'll have a splurge watching 2 or 3 stories in a couple of days.

Pip Madeley Guest

I just watch them now and then as I feel like it, though these days I usually wait for the DVD releases (I'll avoid watching Trial, War Games etc now). The last one I watched was "The War Machines" and that was last week.

The most recent Classic Who I've seen was on UKDrama & I missed an episode here & there & it never bothered me. I can always catch up later if I feel the need.