Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

I'm doing my annual relisten to Doctor Who and the Christmas Gnomes. It's my favourite Christmas Doctor Who adventure.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    I listened to part 2 of The Paradise Machine today - good fun, and Alex steals the show as the increasingly insane Leckard. Surely a rematch must be possible?
    I have, many a time, thought up a story for 'The revenge of Leckard'...

I'm glad you've enjoyed TPM again Andrew, I was listening to it again a little while ago, and now I've just started dislike bits I'd written. Tor Garane's voice isn't quite right either...I think everybody steals the show in it though!

I've finished work for the year and I've just whacked on the Christmas Carols.

O Come All Ye Faithful!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

now I've just started dislike bits I'd written
    I think that's inevitable though, isn't it - you very quickly get almost over-familiar with your own stuff that you then run the risk of it just irritating you!

I've just been listening to David Tennant on Desert Island Discs, which was good. He just seems to be such a really nice bloke, and it was just a very nice, cosy, entertaining programme - plus, I'd heard of most of his music choices so I didn't feel like a complete cultural idiot.

I also (re)listened yesterday to The Curse of Ratanapura. Strange to say, I'd sort of forgotten the big twist (ie, that the Doctor is the ghost) so really enjoyed the plot unfolding. I'm still a little confused as to what Marwood was doing there (was he just passing and thought he'd pop in for a warm or something?) although it gave an opportunity to see the difference in attitudes between the Doctor and Rosalind.

Production-wise, it maybe could have done with some kind of background noise in some of the rooms (although I suppose, what does a drawing-room sound like?) to really help the setting, but the performances were first rate - Alex's "Bad show, bad show!" is a definite catchphrase, and I also enjoyed Tim's restrained menace (and especially the way he delivers "Doctor" like all the best villains).

Next up I fancy a spot of tea with the Trods!!

I can't remember now but I seem to remember the idea was that Marwood had been shipwrecked when his boat had crashed on the rocks, so he'd come in to seek shelter. Not sure if that made it into the final edit though!

Si.

If you can remember which issue of DWM the Pixley archive is in, I'll go and check that.

I'm currently enjoying Tom Baker's slightly unhinged, Obi-Wan Kenobi-ish Solon and his dotty old Maren in 'Doctor Who and the Brain of Morbius'.

Well since dotty old Tom's slightly unhinged anyway, typecasting anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    I'm currently enjoying Tom Baker's slightly unhinged, Obi-Wan Kenobi-ish Solon and his dotty old Maren in 'Doctor Who and the Brain of Morbius'.
    I was completely unaware until the other day (when an old friend told me whilst discussing DW in the pub) that these were airing on Radio 7, and had never heard any of the audio 'readings' so tuned in yesterday. The voices he uses for some characters are completely bonkers!

I've never been an avid radio listener, but thanks to recently buying a Freesat PVR, can now set them up to record on a series link!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

I listened to some more of Morbius last night....Solon sounded like he was being played by Peter Sellers' Inspector Clouseau, whilst Condo seemed to be the Sugar Puffs Honey Monster!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Whatever you or Tom have been on, where can we get some?

We listened to some but not all of the first Master Plan talking book over the weekend. It's good, but we all came away feeling that Peter Purves' chapters were better than Jean Marsh's. It's not that she was bad or anything, just that she reads rather softer than Peter does and so it was less easy to stay awake when tired when she was reading.

Knowing the story a bit better than I did when the books came out, I've noticed John Peel changed a fair bit and his first Doctor is rather grumpier and less likeable than he is on screen.

Si xx

for some unkown reason tonight I thought to my self that I really should make an effort to listen to all those BF audios I never got around to listening to after I lost interest. There were about 15 of them that as far as I can remember are still unlistened to so tonight for the first time in about 4 years I stuck a bf audio into my computer and listened to the whole of Renaisseance of the Daleks.

maybe it's all down to the long gap but I really enjoyed it my last BF was number 96, so tonight with my interest refreshed I decided to reniew my yearly subscription and bought stories 120-131. I will phone up BF tomorrow to see if I need to take out another subscription or now that they have my bank dets will they ust continue to send each release untill I say stop.

I bought Mission to the Unknown and it has arrived today - having almost done 4 out of the discs courtesy of Steve and Si a fortnight ago, I wanted to finish it off and as I said earlier after DIOE, I kind of intended to carry on with the Dalek stories at least. And at £7.79 from Amazon, for 5 discs @ 6hrs 20mins you certainly get your money's worth!

Needless to say, I shall be getting vol. 2 shortly!

last few day's i've listened to I.D and The No Where Place..

more bf 's i've just listened to The Settling and Scaredy Cat, after so long a gap it's a bit hard to remember what I have and haven't listened to.f

I've been having a listen to Spare Parts for the first time in ages. It's really very good, although all that ridiculous guff about the Doctor's bodyprint influencing the Cybermen is very silly and unnecessay. Otherwise it;s really rather classy, if only because we know whats going to happen and there's the rising sense of doom as it comes true.

One of the gems of the BF range.

Si xx

listened to Year of the Pig, today and despit it being over 2 hours long it moved along a nice pace.

I've taken a trip to Vilag today and have listened to Arrangements for War and now Thicker Than Water.

Doctor Evelyn Smythe is still one of the best things that Big Finish ever introduced to Doctor Who. One of my very favourite companions.

Si xx

Just in case the Big Finish Time Warp continues, I've been listening to the very atmospheric The Spectre of Lanyon Moor this week.

Si xx

The FANTASTIC Find And Replace

Just in case the Big Finish Time Warp continues, I've been listening to the very atmospheric The Spectre of Lanyon Moor this week.
    Me too! Except for the "very atmospheric" bit

With thoughts on Find And Replace,it's moving,nostalgic and thought provoking,thanks to a clever script by Paul Magrs.The character of Huxley played by Alex Lowe manages to stay on the right side of annoying,as befits his narrator character(previously introduced in Ringpullworld.)And the combination of Iris and Jo showcase the acting ability of Katy Manning to great effect,even her stab at Jon Pertwee isn't particularly bad.

In the first episode not a lot happens admittedly but the story is told in such a way,you barely notice the time go by.Find And Replace comes highly recommended and with hints of Huxley meeting The Master(presumably Geoffrey Beevers) in the offering,I for one can't wait.

I haven't heard any fo the Companion Chronicles, but I have to say I'm really intrrigued by this one. I like Iris anyway and Paul Magrs' work, so it's a good combination.

Si xx