Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

I listened to The John Nathan-Turner Memoirs last weekend. Highly enjoyable, candid stuff. The end was very poignant... JNT left us too soon. I bet he'd have loved the New Series.

I was thinking that just the other day, I bet he would have. In many ways it does with Who exactly what he would have loved to do, but was unable to for whatever reason (whether you think it was the climate of the time, the quality of the staff available, talent, whatever).

"The Gunfighters"... much better on audio!

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    I listened to The John Nathan-Turner Memoirs last weekend. Highly enjoyable, candid stuff. The end was very poignant... JNT left us too soon. I bet he'd have loved the New Series.
    We've been having a listen to that too, Pip. At the moment we're still on the first disc, but I'm enjoying it immensely.
    Good old BF sales. We got the entire Talksback range for a tenner. Now we just have to find the time to listen to them all.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Pip Madeley Guest

I'm onto Nick Courtney's memoirs now - he was a bit of a shagger in his youth, wasn't he!

Girl with the curves there, five rounds rapid.

Finally got round to listening to disc one of Pest Control last night. Not bad!

I took the opportunity to stick a load of BFs that have been sitting on the shelf onto my mp3 player to listen to while on holiday, so a quick rundown so far...

Red Dawn - good Ice Warriors but seemed very simple (showing its age really)
    The Sandman - very complex, so really great sci-fi ideas but too many big info-dumps
    The Creed of the Kromon - very dull and far too long - could have been cut down to two epsiodes very simply. Not sure I'm going to like Chariz very much (however you spell it)

Now on The Mutant Phase - hot Dalek action !!! with Council of Nicaea and Catch 1782 to go.

(have to confess - also listened to a couple of S&S as well, and they were superb - so snapped up a couple more off E-bay...)
    Bazinga !

Wayne Guest

I'll be taking a few Target audiobooks with me whilst i'm away for the week.
    'The Auton Invasion' has been selected for tomorrow's train journey.

Ooh! It's really good too. We did on the way and way back from Liverpool this weekend.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Wayne Guest

Actually, i ended up doing 'The Giant Robot' on the way there, & 'The Space War' on the way back instead.
    Both rather fun. Especially Geoffrey Beevers' Ogron impressions.

Doin my back catalogue of Big Finish and just finished Scherzo,which I think is vastly underated,theres some great sound design going on there

And on to Natural History Of Fear now

Especially Geoffrey Beevers' Ogron impressions
    I bet that's not a patch on me and Dave Tudor lumbering down Walthamstow High Street doing our best Day of the Daleks impressions!

Wayne Guest

I don't anyone got the 'walk' quite as good as Dave.
    Last edited by Wayne; 6th Sep 2008 at 7:00 PM.

Especially Geoffrey Beevers' Ogron impressions.
    I wonder if he does those for Carrie in private?

Si.

Not if he wants his dinner...

I've started listening to Barry Letts' CDs, and i'm really enjoying the first one.

Wayne Guest

I've been having a bit of an audio time of it today. Listened to 'Bride of Peladon', & 'Return to Vortis'.
    Peladon was quite good fun overall. Arcurtus & Ice Warrior voices spot on, but Alpha Centauri not so good. Though not as piss poor as Aggedor, which just sounded laughable!
    Fairly enjoyable story though. I like the mix of Peladon meets Pyramids, although Sehkmet was a bit lame, & i can't imagine a god using phrases like 'Go the whole hog'. Crappy scripting! Phyllida Law was excellent though. They shoul've got her to play the Osiran!
    I bet Si Hart liked this one, what with Erimen being written out.

Less to say about Vortis, largely because it wasn't as interesting, but not bad overall.

Currently listening to 'The Davros Mission'. It's good, but i don't know what Nick Briggs was on when he came up with the two slave characters. Sounds like he's been listening to Peter Cook & Dudley Moore.
    Last edited by Wayne; 8th Sep 2008 at 3:18 PM.

I've just done The Axis Of Insanity which was fantastic and great fun,the character of the Jester a real scene stealer

Up next Arrangements For War

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    I thought exactly the same thing. I think JNT has been judged harshly by fandom in the same way RTD has now become a pariah. He did more right than wrong in my opinion. When The Leisure Hive starts it's just an amazing revolution for Who - no more Deadly Dudley Simpson, no more cheap-looking Who, no more silly Cambridge humour - and look at his legacy. Everyone now seems to be keen on Peter Davison, Colin Baker's been redeemed by Big Finish and as I sit here listening to the early BBV Audios i can now appreciate Sylvester better. He really is very good.

I'm listening to Prosperity Island: Sylv, Soph, Peter Miles and Adam Bampton-Smith sounding eerily like Hugh Dennis. Love it.
    A revolution without dancing, isn't one worth having

Pip Madeley Guest

I've been listening to The Faceless Ones. Shame that Ben and Polly are sidelined so early (Anneke and Michael deserved a much better story to go out on) but Pat & Frazer give great performances and Donald Pickering is utterly chilling as Captain Blade.

I've just finished The Killing Stone (Richard Franklin does a Mike Yates version o Harry Sullivan's War sorta) and there's a rather wonderful interview after it. It seems Jon Pertwee had more depth to him than just being King of Vehicles.

And now I'm listening to Tom reading The Boy Who Kicked Pigs. It's wonderful!
    I think i'm going to drop "beyond the pale!" into every conversation i can.

I am currently listening to I, Davros part 1 Innocence. I think it is very good and I think that Rory Jennings is doing a good job as the youg Davros.

"The Killing Stone" is a thing of sheer wonder, especially turning Benton into a crazed country-bumpkin moron.

Si.

Have just done Scaredy Cat and have Time Works,Something Inside and Memory Lane lined up-I'm on a bit of a McGannathon at the moment

After giving up on the abysmal Invaders from Mars i'm now on Seasons of Fear which is better though it has the awful "boohoo i'm immortal i have to watch my wives grow old and die booohoooo" nonsense we keep getting.

Oh and the second (or is it the third?) clumsy reference to the upcoming Zagreus.

I remember hearing Zagreus the first time i went through the Big Finishers and hated it as much as the McGann in an alternate universe tosh.

Maybe it's just me? Does anyone else here dislike some stories intensely?