Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sugartongs View Post
    Still dragged down by the crap of Lungbarrow...
    I quite like Lungbarrow myself.

Project: Lazarus

While it's much better than Project: Twilight it's still not very good. The interaction between the Sixth and Seevnth Doctors is rather lovely, but I couldn't care less about Nimrod, The Forge and yet another bunch of military experiments backed up by one-dimensional armed thugs.

Please make it stop! No more agressive military types who don't understand science and just want to kill. It's a horrendous cliche and I've seen it far far far far too many times in Sci-fi.
    A revolution without dancing, isn't one worth having

"You gave The master the keys to my pub. There's no telling the damage he could do!"

Unbound: Sympathy for the Devil

This is more like it. An alternative version of The Mind Robber with Mark Gatiss the newly regenerated Master and David Warner along with the embittered Brigadier.

A really evocative feel of the outreaches of Hong Kong. Big Finish really should do more overseas stuff as it's so cheap to do on audio. Some very clever dialogue (particularly the final gag about the 96 TVM) and an interesting story too.

There's an actor in there too playing the UNIT Colonel with a very good Scottish accent. Can't recall the guy's name though.
    A revolution without dancing, isn't one worth having

Quote Originally Posted by sugartongs View Post
    "You gave The master the keys to my pub. There's no telling the damage he could do!"

Unbound: Sympathy for the Devil

This is more like it. An alternative version of The Mind Robber with Mark Gatiss the newly regenerated Master and David Warner along with the embittered Brigadier.

A really evocative feel of the outreaches of Hong Kong. Big Finish really should do more overseas stuff as it's so cheap to do on audio. Some very clever dialogue (particularly the final gag about the 96 TVM) and an interesting story too.

There's an actor in there too playing the UNIT Colonel with a very good Scottish accent. Can't recall the guy's name though.
    Kylie Minogue, IIRC...

By coincidence I'm halfway through the sequel, Masters of War. The cliffhanger's pretty obvious in certain respects, but the story's exciting and Messrs. Warner and Courtney are up to the standardy you'd expect from them.

We thoroughly enjoyed Masters of War recently too. In fact I'd say it's the best thing BF have produced for a fair old while.

I liked Sympathy for the Devil a lot too. It might be my favourite Unboud, though I'm very fond of Auld Mortality.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Does anyone know why it took so long for Masters Of War to come out? or whether there's plans for any more Unbounds?

I'm listening to The Sea Devils Audio Book again
    'Steed is one of my most valuable subjects he's too valuable to lose'

The Boy That Time Forgot-which I'm enjoying immensely.Yay for Paul Magrs

Wayne Guest

In complete contrast to 'Brotherhood of the Daleks', Doctor Who: Unbound - 'Masters of War', which i've just listened to whilst doing all manner of mundane things from dusting to sewing, was a really good, cohesive, Dalek based story that echoed a lot of precidents but without relying on previous storylines & mythology to the point of being unoriginal.
    Much like occupied Europe under the nazis, The Thals are living under Dalek occupation several generations after the original war. Davros is a mythical, almost religious figure, who's existence is buried so far in the past that, like Jesus, many doubt his existence.
    Being an Unbound story, this play is not contstricted by previous continuity, & tells the story of how the two factions of Daleks came into being in a completely new way, & here, the Doctor has never even met Davros before.
    Davros himself doesn't really appear properly until more than half way through the story, & he brings a new surprise with him when he does.
    The retired Brigadier gets a taste of what it's like to be a proper Tardis companion, & the character works well once again with David Warner's Doctor, who is a more thoughtful Doctor that may seem a somewhat stodgy opposite of the mad eyed, over-excitable, shouting Tenth Doctor that the new series brings, but perhaps unsurprisingly, is much more appealing a concenption of the Doctor for me.
    I wasn't expecting much, but i thought this was an exciting listen, & quite clever without being incomprehensible. If more BF stuff was like this, then i'd be happy. 8/10
    Last edited by Wayne; 11th Jan 2009 at 10:18 PM.

As I said above, it really was far better than most of the toher stuff they've done in rcent memory. A great story and all the beeter for being straightforward rather than unnecessarily convoluted like certain stories by Marc Platt and Alan Barnes recently where coherancy has been shelved for the sake of obtruse storytelling.

Si xx

I liked David Warner's slightly grumpy Doctor; he's a good change after the tenth's smiles almost all round and the ninth's forced bonhomie. Perhaps this is more the direction Colin should have taken it, rather than being Mr. Shouty.

I'm currently listening to Stones of Venice from the Paul McGann audio boxset.

I think it is a very good story and it is well acted by all.

I've always quite liked that one, but it seems to come in fro some flak. I think people just don't like Paul Magrs' Doctor Who very much.

Si xx

I haven't really had much experience of Pauls Magrs' Who stuff but going by this story I can't see why. It is nice interesting listen. I wil be hunting out his other who stuff.

His style of Doctor Who really appeals to me. I'd certainly check out his stories for Paul McGann and Sheridan Smith and the rather batty The Wishing Beast which I really liked.

Si xx

His McGann stories are excellent, I really enjoyed them both which actually surprised me!!!

"Horror of Glam Rock" is really good.

Si.

I have just listened to Masters of War and it was fantastic. The story was great and the acting was brilliant, David Warner, Nicholas Courtney and Terry Malloy were great but special mention has to go to Nick Briggs for his Dalek voices they were marvolous and had a better quality to them.
    I would urge anyone to listen to this story.

Hurrah! BF Adventures haven't been as good as 'Masters Of War' for years!!!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Forty-Five.Episode/Story 3-Casualties Of War is a thing of wonder

So is Catherine Tate's performance in The Forever Trap. Her Doctor's spot on. The story isn't bad either.

I am just about to start listening to series 2 of the 8th Doctor and Lucie adventures.

Wayne Guest

I listened to Sisters of the Flame/Vengeance of Morbius the other day.
    Not bad overall. It did have a bit of a sense of having heard it all before, but good performances pulled it through.
    Gotta say Sheridan Smith was superb as Lucie Miller in it. Kind of a shame in a way that she's in the audios, & therefore won't be a tv companion, because she's more than good enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Kind of a shame in a way that she's in the audios, & therefore won't be a tv companion, because she's more than good enough!
    It doesn't rule her out. Colin Baker was in the TV show & ended up being the Doctor...so it's still possible.

Wayne Guest

Yeah but they'd only go & spoil it by having her snogging Matt Smith at every oppurtinity. Maybe she's better off where she is.
    She'd definitely look good on screen though.