Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

I have listened to the audio book of The Eyeless and it was a very good listen, the story never seemed to drag and Russell Tovey was a good reader. He had very good character voices.
    I hope what I just wrote made sense, it did when I was thinking it.

I just experienced part 1 of The Ghosts of N-Space.

I preferred the book.
    For every fail, there is an equal and opposite win.

...Oh, who am I kidding?

Twas an improvement on Paradise of Death, I believe, but still quite rough and ready in terms of scripting.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

After picking up The Stage Plays at Utopia (no wonder I'm always skint!), I'm going to have a Dalek 'season', taking in the aforementioned plays and ending with Enemy of the Daleks. I'm opening with Masters of War, which left me cold the last time I played it, although it's a lot better than I remembered this time.
    'In search of some rest, in search of a break
    From a life of tests, where something's always at stake
    Where something's always so far...'

Bit of a grower for you then? It is a good'un.

The first time it felt like it was just going on and on, with David Warner sounding totally lost. A sharp contrast to Sympathy For the Devil, and his amazing performances as Steel.

This time it's still over long, and David Warner isn't on top form in it, but he seems more like McCoy in his dark and brooding moments. It's a quiet performance, and good that it's a contrast to Sympathy, after all this is 'some time later'. The twists on the Dalek story are pretty good though, and the incidental music around the Quatch is very creepy. And Terry Malloy is always reliable as Davros - the biggest misfire for New Who was not casting him to reprise the role in my opinion.

Started The Ultimate Adventure last night! Oh My God - I was hoping for something in the vein of 'so bad it's brilliant,' but this isn't even that. Anyone who hates Dimensions in Time should avoid this totally! To give people an idea of just how bad it is the songs are the best thing about it.

Act Two to listen to later.

I'm not sure it translated too well onto CD really. It was fine on stage when you've got the excitement of seeing it all happen a few feet in front of you, but the audio version is lacking something of that excitement sadly. Seven Keys is far better.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Restarting the Companion Chronicles later with The Transit Of Venus up first

As well as hearing the marvellous first episode of The Wealth of Craytians, I've also relistened to part 2 of Magical History Tour this past weekend. It's a very ambitious story, especially so considering how 'early' it is, and the whole thing is very layered. I remembered, of course, the classic part 2 cliffhanger but I must admit that somehow I'd forgotten all about that cameo by Yoko Ono! Outstanding!!

Wayne Guest

Still slowly catching up with the Target Audiobooks, having listened to 'Pyramids of Mars' whilst on a quick visit to my folks last week.
    Tom's Sutekh is fun.

Still got loads of these to catch up on, but i'll be making way for the last two PS audios of this season once the CD's are available.

Currently the DWAD's Emblems of Darkness, with my mom, who just sorta became a casual fan! (One down, one more to convert...!)

Quote Originally Posted by Terileptil View Post
    Currently the DWAD's Emblems of Darkness, with my mom, who just sorta became a casual fan! (One down, one more to convert...!)
    Julio's an excellent writer. Enblems is one of my favourite DWAD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    Julio's an excellent writer. Enblems is one of my favourite DWAD's.
    Yeah, it's too bad about his Unnatural Time being cancelled.

Just listened to Bernice Summerfield and the Summer of Love, and.... I'm speechless. There's never been a Doctor Who audio quite like that before!

I'm not going to reveal what I'm listening to at the moment, suffice to say that if the Doctor & friends are to make it through to episode two, then they'll need to escape a giant robot fridge.

And a Merry Christmas to you all at home!

I did eventually realise why the TV Doctor Who Christmas specials aren't that Christmas-ey. It's because they get watched all year round!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Captain Tancredi Guest

Currently a quarter of the way through the audiobook of 'The Daemons'- the fact that it's Barry Letts reading his own adaptation of a script that he co-wrote does make it rather special. Last week I finished Martin Jarvis reading 'Dinosaur Invasion'- for anybody of my generation, Martin Jarvis reading anything is very familiar from children's television and so on- a good reading of a very good adaptation, just not sure about his take on Professor Whitaker as played by Danny La Rue.

Over the next few days I suspect we'll be listening to Lis Sladen reading Planet of tghe Spiders and Rula Lenska reading The Happiness Patrol. I'll report back on how good they are (if indeed they are good) next week.

Si xx

I am currently listening to The Mutant Phase, yes I did get Dr Who Adventures to get it free.
    I hope what I just wrote made sense, it did when I was thinking it.

There are those of us who bought said play at full price you know, no need to show off!

Am close to finishing Emblems. But my mom can't stand it as it "goes right through her [head]" because she's not well at the moment.

Keepsake. I figure it's well past time to catch up on the PSA's.

for Jeff. Hope you enjoy them.

Well now, we've done two BBC audios on our trip to Yorkshire. The Happiness Patrol was a fine novelisation that shows what the story should have been like if the BBC set designers had been a little more creative and if the Kandyman had been done how the writer saw him. Rula Lenska does a fine job of the reading, with her blatant impression of Maggie Thatcher being a highlight. Her broad scots McCoy is a bit of a shock, but you kind of get used to it as the reading goes on. A fun one!

Planet of the Spiders was awesome! Sladen knows her stuff and her spiders are a joy to hear! She gets them spot on. It's a slighter book, although the added prologue with Jo is wonderful. I really enjoyed this one too.

Si xx

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    for Jeff. Hope you enjoy them.

Well now, we've done two BBC audios on our trip to Yorkshire. The Happiness Patrol was a fine novelisation that shows what the story should have been like if the BBC set designers had been a little more creative and if the Kandyman had been done how the writer saw him. Rula Lenska does a fine job of the reading, with her blatant impression of Maggie Thatcher being a highlight. Her broad scots McCoy is a bit of a shock, but you kind of get used to it as the reading goes on. A fun one!

Planet of the Spiders was awesome! Sladen knows her stuff and her spiders are a joy to hear! She gets them spot on. It's a slighter book, although the added prologue with Jo is wonderful. I really enjoyed this one too.

Si xx
    Stop it! Stop it!! I want these two even more now.

I must admit I've finally found a talking Target I've actively disliked though. Tom Baker gives the most boring, uninspired reading of Creature From the Pit. I'm halfway through the third disc, and don't feel I have the strength to finish it off.