Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536

Maybe you weren’t in the right mood

Thoroughly enjoyed the audio reading of Last of the Gadarene. Really evoked the spirit of the Pertwee era. Loved the scene with the local villagers in the mock airplane cabin! Richard Franklin did a great job as narrator

Mark Gatiss at his best as a writer.

Hour Of The Cybermen. Nice idea to have Sixie with UNIT, and the Cybermen's plot is straightforward but sinisterly good. Shame there's such a lot of running around. Welcome back David Banks though.

I'm still working through the missing adventures on audio - I finished off old Pip's favourite, Fury from the Deep, a few weeks ago.

It's an oddly modern story in some ways - people with 'real' relationships, the occasional emotional pause, even the domestic setting of the Harrises house with a patio. It's not perfect, Harris is a bit annoying forever wittering on about his wife and then just wanting to blow everything up; and there's something odd about the climax to the crisis, where Robson & Mrs Harris appear on the video link from the control rig and say everything's fine, Van Lutyens is alive, it's all good. Either show us Van Lutyens, or (two weeks after he's been apparently killed off, and so we've stopped really caring) just don't mention him at all - it's like a Moffat-y 'and suddenly Rory wasn't actually dead after all' sort of thing.

On the other hand, there's bags of atmosphere, some very spooky-sounding cliffhangers, and three regulars who are a real delight. The sweet sadness of Victoria deciding to stay behind, and the different reactions of the Doctor and Jamie, is again another 'modern'-feeling element.

Next up (and in fact, already well under way in the space year 4000) is The Daleks' Masterplan!!

Done some BBC Talking books, The Ark and Mawdryn Undead. Sadly they're both examples of the books throwing open the flaws of the stories. I'd happily watch both of these but on audio the repetition, padding and nonsensical aspects of both stories come to the fore.

Can't fault Peter Purves and David Collings though. A superb pair of readers, pitching it spot on. Peter Purves impersonation of the First Doctor is always a delight!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Currently listening to Paddy Kingsland's soundtrack to Mawdryn on YouTube, by strange coincidence!