Aunt Dolly once kept her ears open and her eyes firmly shut. The inevitable happened with every lamppost that singularly failed to hove into view...

Quote Originally Posted by Nyder View Post
    Sorry to say but for me the second half of Assassination Games fell a bit flat. I really am trying hard to like Sylv's Doctor (honest) but in this story it felt like he was going through the motions and just reading a script - all the intonation was in all the wrong places. Two of my pet hates were prevalent throughout all this story - Sylv rrrrrrrolling is rrrrrrrrrrs (I'm sure he's getting worse!) and Ace calling him "Professor" - I cringe everytime she does it.

On the plus side, it's always good to listen to the Counter Measures team and the plot was an intriguing, complex one - resulting in the long overdue Info Dump in Part 4!

Of these anniversary stories, I've much preferred Fanfare & The Space Race.
    I've listened to all the '1963' trilogy and I found all of them pretty good. 'Fanfare' had an odd but interesting plot, 'Space Race' has some bizarre plot twists and 'Assassination Games' has Countermeasures plus another new enemy for the Doctor with lots of plot potential.

I listened to Ghost in the Machine on the plane. Really good I thought, quite chilling and excellent performance from Katy Manning.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Yes I enjoyed Ghosts - Katy is very versatile - The Lady With 1000 Voices

Dust Breeding

I loved the sinister background noises. But were they Daleks? And yes, Caroline J was incredibly OTT but I enjoyed her performance. Even Sylv wasn't too bad - and that's saying a lot for me! Very enjoyable darlings!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Helicon Prime. Excellent start, hokey science, not quite as good a finish.

The Dying Light

Quadrigger is back and he's not happy! Terry Molloy is wonderfully tetchy in this

I had a listen to the Trial of the Valeyard last night. Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. What a waste of three good actors- it was a confusing, pretentious (it was divided into acts for gods sake!), mess of a story. There's a good story about the Valeyard waiting to be told, but this really wasn't it. It's a shame, because there's loads of mileage in a Trial sequel, but I think Big Finish have just gone and squandered it.

I'm very much enjoying the audio of the Target of Tomb of the Cybermen (if you see what I mean). Michael Kilgariff's voice is tremendously appealing, even if Kaftan's accent seems to waver between the orient and the highlands!! I've finished 3 of 4 discs, and the addition of Nick Briggs as the Cybermen has only 'upped the ante' as they say - the echoey metallic sound is also pretty darned spooky.

I really enjoyed that one too Andrew. Nice straightforward reading. Michael Kilgariff was a great narrator.

The Suffering.
    A four-part Companion Chronicle read by Maureen O'Brian and Peter Purves. The TARDIS lands in England 1912. The Doctor has to deal with an alien skull and Suffragettes. A good story and worth a listen. Oh, and spot the references to another First Doctor story.

The Dying Light

Quadrigger is back and he's not happy! Terry Molloy is wonderfully tetchy in this

I'm planning to buy these three adventures next month, particularly Luna Romana, as I want to hear how Ms Landau handles the part of Romana. Are you getting this one?

Landau was very good as the future Romana in the final Gallifrey stories. Hopefully she'll be just as good in Luna Romana.

Polished off Justice of Jalxar and Phantoms From the Deep this weekend - two average to middling Tom stories.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyard View Post
    I'm planning to buy these three adventures next month, particularly Luna Romana, as I want to hear how Ms Landau handles the part of Romana. Are you getting this one?
    Depends on which part of Romana she's handling...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    Depends on which part of Romana she's handling...
    Walked into that one!

We don't just throw this rubbish together you know! Well we do, but as long as you never think otherwise...

The Crooked Man by John Dorney

The fourth 4DA of Series 3 and easily the best so far in a creepy tale of sinister books and beings from an imagined place. The interplay between The Doctor and Leela is an absolute delight in this one - some genuine LOL moments (with apologies to the other commuters on the same train carriage!)

This season is such a vast improvement on the very patchy first Tom & Leela series. You really feel that the main characters are working so well together.

Recently heard 'The Traitor' the first part of "Dark Eyes 2". Looking forward to hearing more when I get the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Brinck-Johnsen View Post
    Recently heard 'The Traitor' the first part of "Dark Eyes 2". Looking forward to hearing more when I get the chance.
    Times Horizon is the best of the four. Don't expect a neat conclusion to the set. Listen out for the special guest at the end.

The Dying Light

Having just listened to 'The Beginning' I'm not surprised!

Bloodtide

It's good to have Evelyn back!

The Evil One

The 4th Doctor continues with a Nick Briggs story about some very nasty metallic insects, and Leela acting very bizarrely....

I know there are a lot of people who are allergic to NB stories. My reaction isn't that violent, but on the whole they are quite humdrum. However I'm pleased to report that this story was reasonably enjoyable, with Louise Jameson proving yet again what a wonderful actress she is as she's forced to confront her own past. Great Xoanan!!! There is a fair bit of exposition in the last 10 minutes, but sometimes this is inevitable in a 50 minute story.

I would say this was the weakest story of Series 3 FDA so far, but this is only because the bar has been raised quite high this season!

I'm off home for a long weekend, and the tradition is for me for take a classic Who audio with me. So it's The Highlanders for me. Och aye!

Oh aye, that!

Well Polly is definitely showing some pluck! During Ep.2 she's piggy-backed her way out of an animal trap and told a wee lassie to stop crying all the time! Good on yer Duchess!!