Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

for more TARDIS appearances on the cover.

Hmmm - the Voracious Craw - wasn't he the guy who kept chasing Penelope Pittstop ?
    Bazinga !

Drowning TARDIS on the first, Nice. Tiny squeezed in the corner TARDIS on the second, cute & they couldn't even be bothered to fit it in on the third.

wasn't he the guy who kept chasing Penelope Pittstop

Captain Tancredi Guest

Some interesting figures in today's Sunday Telegraph, where the Who and Torchwood novels occupy nine out of ten of the places in the Science Fiction and Fantasy bestsellers. Figures as follows:

Torchwood- Another Life 19,190

Torchwood- Border Princes 17,699

Who- Sting of the Zygons 17,344

Torchwood- Slow Decay 16,378

Who- Wooden Heart 14,198

Who- Nightmare of Black Island 13,639

Who- The Last Dodo 13,225

Who- Price of Paradise 12,488

Who- Art of Destruction 12,253

All rather knocked into a cocked hat by the 59,756 copies shifted by Tolkien's Children of Hurin, though.

What strikes me as interesting is the differences across batches, though- given that most bookshops have them as an almost permanent 3 for 2, 4000 people decided to buy 'Sting of the Zygons' over 'The Last Dodo'.

Pip Madeley Guest

Three new Tenth Doctor novels in time for Christmas - none of them written by Cole, Rayner or Richards surprisingly...

Peacemaker by James Swallow
    The peace and quiet of a remote homestead in the 1880s American West is shattered by the arrival of two shadowy outriders searching for 'the healer'. When the farmer refuses to help them, they raze the house to the ground using guns that shoot bolts of energy instead of bullets... In the town of Redwater, the Doctor and Martha learn of a snake-oil salesman who's patent medicines actually cure his patient. But when the Doctor and Martha investigate they discover the truth is stranger, and far more dangerous. Caught between the law of the gun and the deadly plans of intergalactic mercenaries, the Doctor and Martha are about to discover just how wild the West can become...

The Pirate Loop by Simon Guerrier
    The Doctor's been everywhere and everywhen in the whole of the universe and seems to know all the answers. But ask him what happened to the Starship Brilliant and he hasn't the first idea. Did it fall into a sun or black hole? Was it shot down in the first moments of the galactic war? And what's this about a secret experimental drive? The Doctor is skittish. But if Martha is so keen to find out he'll land the TARDIS on the Brilliant, a few days before it vanishes. Then they can see for themselves... Soon the Doctor learns the awful truth. And Martha learns that you need to be careful what you wish for. She certainly wasn't hoping for mayhem, death, and badger-faced space pirates.

Wishing Well by Trevor Baxendale
    The old village well is just a curiosity - something to attract tourists intrigued by stories of lost treasure, or visitors just making a wish. Unless something alien and terrifying could be lurking inside the well. Something utterly monstrous that causes nothing but death and destruction. But who knows the real truth about the well? Who wishes to unleash the hideous force it contains? What terrible consequences will follow the search for a legendary treasure hidden at the bottom? No one wants to believe the Doctor's warnings about the deadly horror lying in wait - but soon they'll wish they had...

Covers of the new books:

Just what you'd expect!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Martha looks rather saucy in an "I've just had him" sort of way, on the cover of The Pirate Loop. Or is that my imagination getting overheated again?

I don't know, Andrew, but your new avatar is going to make me assume that from now on, you're old, deaf and dotty and that you just make stuff up because you want attention.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Will Andrew please stop pretending to be me!

but your new avatar is going to make me assume that from now on, you're old, deaf and dotty and that you just make stuff up because you want attention.
    It's eerily like me. Except for the... nope, it's eerily like me.

Mind you, now that I look at those covers again, the western one (forming a neat pair) shows the Doctor with an "I've had her" kind of expression on his face.

And clearly there was an embarassing "it doesn't matter, it could happen to anybody" moment before the photo was taken for "Wishing Well"...

Someone on another forum suggested that the Doctor looked like he was doing a Charles Hawtrey impression on the Peacemaker cover.

Spring 2008's novel details!

Martha in the Mirror - by Justin Richards

Castle Extremis - whoever holds it can control the provinces either side that have been at war for centuries. Now the castle is about to play host to the signing of a peace treaty. But as the Doctor and Martha find out, not everyone wants the war to end.

Who is the strange little girl who haunts the castle? What is the secret of the book the Doctor finds, its pages made from thin, brittle glass? Who is the hooded figure that watches from the shadows? And what is the secret of the legendary Mortal Mirror?

The Doctor and Martha don't have long to find the answers - an army is on the march, and the castle will soon be under siege once moreå

Snowglobe 7 - by Mike Tucker

Earth, 2099. Global warming is devastating the climate. The polar ice caps are melting.

In a desperate attempt at preservation the Governments of the world have removed vast sections of the Arctic and Antarctic and set them inside huge domes across the world. The Doctor and Martha arrive in Snowglobe 7 in the Middle East, hoping for peace and relaxation. But they soon discover that it's not only ice and snow that has been preserved beneath the Dome.

While Martha struggles to help with an infection sweeping through the holidaymakers the Doctor discovers an alien threat that has lain hidden since the last ice age. A threat that is starting to thaw.

The Many Hands - by Dale Smith

Edinburgh, 1759.

The Nor' Loch is being filled in. If you ask the soldiers there, they'll tell you it's a stinking cesspool that the city can do without. But that doesn't explain why the workers won't go near the place without an armed guard.

That doesn't explain why they whisper stories about the loch giving up its dead, about the minister who walked into his church twelve years after he diedå

It doesn't explain why, as they work, they whisper about a man called the Doctor. And about the many hands of Alexander Monro.

Si xx

Crikey, that info's out early isn't it? That's the bunch after the next bunch.

Anybody know who Dale Smith is? That last book sounds rather intriguing.

No Donna?

Dale Smith wrote Heritage for the PDAs I think.

Si xx

According to Wikipedia...

Paul Dale Smith (born November 1976) is a writer and playwright from Leicester, England but currently living and working in Greater Manchester. He writes under the pseudonym Dale Smith, and has had previous works published and performed under the names Paul Smith and Paul D. Smith.

He is most well-known for his novel Heritage, published by BBC Books as part of their Past Doctor Adventures range of novels based on the BBC science fiction television series Doctor Who. This was published in October 2002.

Work
    His first published works were the short stories "Front Line" and "The Gallery" published in Marvel UK's Doctor Who Magazine in 1993 and 1994 respectively. At the time these were published, Smith was acting with Haithi Productions, a Leicester youth theatre group he was a member of with future ER cast member Parminder Nagra.

Following that, his radio play "Hello?" was broadcast on LBC and performed at the Cambridge Theatre. Subsequent plays were performed in London, Manchester and at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival between 1994 and 1999. He is the winner of the Independent Radio Drama Productions (IRDP) Young Radio Playwright Competition 1994, and the Manchester Student Playwriting Competition 1998.

Before becoming a published Doctor Who books author, he wrote several fanfiction stories based on Doctor Who, published in several charity anthologies, fanzines and online. His most recent work is the novella The Albino's Dancer for the Telos Time Hunter range, which was published on 15 June 2006 and two short stories for Big Finish Productions, in the Short Trips collection The Solar System and in Collected Works, edited by Nick Wallace for Big Finish's Bernice Summerfield range.

Pip Madeley Guest

Mark Michalowski, Paul Magrs and Mark Morris are all doing a signing at Borders at the Manchester Fort in Cheetham in about a week's time - there's a Doctor Who quiz too. I might go along and kick ass.

Why? were you trampled by a donkey when you were young?

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Mark Michalowski, Paul Magrs and Mark Morris are all doing a signing at Borders at the Manchester Fort in Cheetham in about a week's time - there's a Doctor Who quiz too. I might go along and kick ass.
    It was being plugged at the Up Close exhibition when I went today- might pop along if I've nothing better to do. Hang on a sec- I'm on holiday this week, so by definition I have nothing better to do.

Pip Madeley Guest

Covers for the Spring 2008 novels:

They look really.... nice. But dull.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

New covers for September:

Si xx

Do you think they used all the make-up & wardrobe budget on C.T & D.T got naff all?

Nic covers though.

Pip Madeley Guest

Cool covers, particularly The Doctor Trap!

Excellent covers, some of the best of the range.

I have to say, too, that Tate looks stunning in all the new publicity photos....