Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 10th Doctor Novels (updated Jan 9th)

Some information on the books due for 2007, courtesy of Andrew F at Roobarbs...

Doctor Who : The Last Dodo ( previously known as The Last Museum ) by Jacqueline Rayner

After a trip to the zoo, the Doctor and Martha go in search of a real live dodo, and are transported by the TARDIS to the mysterious Museum of the Last Ones. There, in the Earth section, they discover every extinct creature up to the present day - billions of them, from the tiniest insect to the biggest dinosaur, all still alive and in suspended animation. Preservation is the Museum's only job - collecting the last of every endangered species from all over the universe. And for millennia the Museum has been trying to trace one elusive specimen: the last of the Time Lords...

Doctor Who : Sting of the Zygons by Stephen Cole

The TARDIS lands the Doctor and Martha in the Lake District in 1909, where a small village is being terrorised by a giant, scaly monster. The search is on for the elusive 'Beast of Cumbria', and explorers, naturalists and hunters from across the country are descending on the hills. King Edward VII himself is on his way to join the search, with a knighthood for whoever finds the Beast. But there is more at work in the Lakes than just a monster, and when the Doctor discovers certain old enemies have made an appearance, the hunting party - and even the king - may find danger they couldn't have imagined.

Doctor Who : Wooden Heart by Martin Day

On a large silver spaceship, seemingly deserted and spinning slowly between the stars, Martha and the Doctor make a horrific discovery. Is this really a floating tomb, and why has a stretch of wooded countryside suddenly appeared in the middle of the craft? Things become even more mysterious as they explore the woods and find a village within - a village traumatised by missing children...

There's also a new Quick Reads novella, Made of Steel by Terrance Dicks, with the Doctor and Martha reportedly pitted against the Cybermen. March 2007.

Pip Madeley Guest

Sting of the Zygons isn't very original, is it...

They sound a lot more interesting than the last batch! I wonder if the new Zygon story is an enormous clue as to a returning monster in the new series? Although we've already had plenty of aliens-disguised-as-humans.

I hope The Last Dodo features the return of Ms.Dorothea Chaplet. She almost caused an extinction. It sounds rather good!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

The Zygon one is surely exactly the same plot as Terror of the Zygons!
    Couldn't they have been put into a completely different setting, rather than a lake in the countryside?

Zygons and Cybermen?

ooooh the originality!

Ant x

Watchers in the Fourth Dimension: A Doctor Who Podcast
    Three Americans and a Brit attempt to watch their way through the entirety of Doctor Who
    ----
    Latest Episode: The WOTAN Clan, discussing The War Machines
    Available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, and Podbean
    Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter at @watchers4d

Quote Originally Posted by Ant Williams View Post
    Zygons and Cybermen?

ooooh the originality!
    Stephen Cole and Jac Rayner. Same old, same old there then too.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    The Zygon one is surely exactly the same plot as Terror of the Zygons!
    ?
    that's what it pretty much seems to me..

I wonder if the new Zygon story is an enormous clue as to a returning monster in the new series
    it would really depend on when these books are due out if it's before the series is to start or during it then i'd say it's unlikely..
    Last edited by Larry; 29th Nov 2006 at 7:40 PM.

I don't think the Zygon one is THAT similar to Terror of the... is it? Yes, it's set in the North, but then it would be wouldn't it, but apart from that... I certainly wouldn't say that in the TV story, we get much of a sense of Tullock as a village being terrified by a monster, nor of any people going out to hunt the beastie!

It'll be interesting, mind you, to see whether it fits that comfortably with the TV tale - since by definition, if it's the same lot of Zygons, the Doctor won't be able to really defeat them at the end of the book will he?

I still haven't bought the last batch...

or read any of the Tenth Doctor ones.

I do agree with Paul C that a couple more new writers would be appreciated rather than Mr. and Ms. Writes-quickly. Still, Zygons!

Quote Originally Posted by Milky Tears View Post
    I still haven't bought the last batch...

or read any of the Tenth Doctor ones.
    I bought the first lot of Tenth Doctor, books and all 3 of them are currently sitting on my "still to read" shelf..

Covers are looking good.

http://freemaagyeman.com/news/2007/0...ha-bookcovers/

Some more titles as well.

I quite like those, and particularly the inclusion of the TARDIS on one of them. On the same cover, the Doctor looks like he's trying to summon something to his hand using the power of the Force. And as if he's been using too much hair-gel.

Pip Madeley Guest

Better quality images:

Why does Freema's head keep leaning to one side? Has she got a loose neck?
    Sting of the Zygons
    Wasn't he in The Police?

Why isn't there anything of any importance in this post?

Looking at them again, it looks like Martha is groping the Doctor's behind in each of those pictures. He clearly doesn't enjoy it!!

The latest batch of Tenth Doctor novels are out there and summaries of the next three titles (released 6th September) are up on David Tennant.com:

http://www.david-tennant.com/

Wetworld by Mark Michalowski

When the TARDIS makes a disastrous landing in the swamps of the planet Sunday, the Doctor has no choice but to abandon Martha and try to find help. But the tranquillity of Sunday's swamps is deceptive, and even the TARDIS can't protect Martha forever.
    The human pioneers of Sunday have their own dangers to face: homeless and alone, they're only just starting to realise that Sunday's wildlife isn't as harmless as it first seems. Why are the native otters behaving so strangely, and what is the creature in the swamps that is so interested in the humans, and the new arrivals? The Doctor and Martha must fight to ensure that human intelligence doesn't become the greatest danger of all.

Sick Building by Paul Magrs

Tiermann's World: a planet covered in wintry woods and roamed by sabre-toothed tigers and other savage beasts. The Doctor is here to warn Professor Tiermann, his wife and their son that a terrible danger is on its way.
    The Tiermann's live in luxury, in a fantastic, futuristic, fully-automated Dreamhome, under an impenetrable force shield. But that won't protect them from the Voracious Craw. A gigantic and extremely hungry alien creature is heading remorselessly toward their home. When it gets there everything will be devoured.
    Can they get away in time? With the force shield cracking up, and the Dreamhome itself deciding who should or should not leave, things are looking desperate...

Forever Autumn by Mark Morris

It is almost Halloween in the sleepy New England town of Blackwood Falls. Autumn leaves litter lawns and sidewalks, paper skeletons hang in windows, and carved pumpkins leer from stoops and front porches.
    The Doctor and Martha soon discover that something long-dormant has awoken in the town, and this will be no ordinary Halloween. What is the secret of the ancient chestnut tree and the mysterious book discovered tangled in its roots? What rises from the local churchyard in the dead of night, sealing up the lips of the only witness? And why are the harmless trappings of Halloween suddenly taking on a creepy new life of their own?
    As nightmarish creatures prowl the streets, the Doctor and Martha must battle to prevent both the townspeople and themselves from a grisly fate...
    I look forward to buying them from eBay round about 2012.

It'll be interesting to see what Paul Magrs' one is like. Not necessarily good or bad, but interesting...

Captain Tancredi Guest

It's a slightly more out-there choice of writers- perhaps somebody's finally allowed them to take a risk or two.

Indeed - I've only read one book from each of the other two authors, but since I enjoyed both "Relative Dementias" (from the punny title onwards) and "The Bodysnatchers" it'll be interesting to see how their New Series books turn out.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Michalowski's Benny novel 'The Big Hunt' is rather good, as far as I remember, as is 'Deep Blue'.

I'm guessing that Sick Building is the novel that was originally going to be called The Wicked Bungalow until RTD insisted they change it.

Presumably so. Given that Magrs has always in the past gone very much his own way with his Who books (I think I'm right in saying that he made it part of the contract for "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" that the cover feature a pink poodle); and given that RTD also has very much his own view of Who, it would have been very interesting to be a fly-on-the-wall for any discussions between PM and RTD over this book.

Pip Madeley Guest

Three more...

Doctor Who: Wetworld by Mark Michalowski

When the TARDIS makes a disastrous landing in the swamps of the planet Sunday, the Doctor has no choice but to abandon Martha and try to find help. But the tranquillity of Sunday's swamps is deceptive, and even the TARDIS can't protect Martha forever.

The human pioneers of Sunday have their own dangers to face: homeless and alone, they're only just starting to realise that Sunday's wildlife isn't as harmless as it first seems. Why are the native otters behaving so strangely, and what is the creature in the swamps that is so interested in the humans, and the new arrivals?

The Doctor and Martha must fight to ensure that human intelligence doesn't become the greatest danger of all.

Doctor Who: Forever Autumn by Mark Morris

It is almost Halloween in the sleepy New England town of Blackwood Falls. Autumn leaves litter lawns and sidewalks, paper skeletons hang in windows, and carved pumpkins leer from stoops and front porches.

The Doctor and Martha soon discover that something long-dormant has awoken in the town, and this will be no ordinary Halloween. What is the secret of the ancient tree and the mysterious book discovered tangled in its roots? What rises from the local churchyard in the dead of night, sealing up the lips of the only witness? And why are the harmless trappings of Halloween suddenly taking on a creepy new life of their own?

As nightmarish creatures prowl the streets, the Doctor and Martha must battle to prevent both the townspeople and themselves from suffering a grisly fate

Doctor Who: Sick Building by Paul Magrs

Tiermann's World: a planet covered in wintry woods and roamed by sabre-toothed tigers and other savage beasts. The Doctor is here to warn Professor Tiermann, his wife and their son that a terrible danger is on its way.

The Tiermanns live in luxury, in a fantastic, futuristic, fully-automated Dreamhome, under an impenetrable force shield. But that won't protect them from the Voracious Craw. A gigantic and extremely hungry alien creature is heading remorselessly towards their home. When it gets there everything will be devoured.

Can they get away in time? With the force shield cracking up, and the Dreamhome itself deciding who should or should not leave, things are looking desperate...
    Due out September 6th.

Ooh, nice!