Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2:9 Something Borrowed

Now that was excellent. That's another this series has produced that I've thought was what I'm dubbing Typical Torchwood. That's what I thought Torchwood should be.

Top marks...well nearly.

Agreed, very good...... I have to say that Tosh in that purple dress...... !!!
    Anyway, I know RTD is gay and I'm not gay bashing at all but sometimes it's like "let's get a gay scene in there for the sake of it" Jack and Yanto dancing....... in front of Rhy's mother !!

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Rose View Post
    ...but sometimes it's like "let's get a gay scene in there for the sake of it" Jack and Yanto dancing....... in front of Rhy's mother !!
    I actually found that quite a funny scene. Gwen expecting the dance & not getting it.

Wayne Guest

I missed it, due to an unexpected call of duty down the pub. I'll have to catch the BBC2 showing next week.

I did much the same last week, hence no reaction from me until last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    I actually found that quite a funny scene. Gwen expecting the dance & not getting it.
    and where did they dig up nerys hughes from , i have not seen her in anything for ages....my memory has failed me as to which DW ep she was in, i'll have to look it up

Nerys Hughes was in Kinda.

quite a fun episode that..

I enjoyed that well enough, Gwen was a bit too whiney again for my liking but bar that it was a lot of fun - I just wish they'd allowed Rhys to get all Evil Dead on the shapeshifter instead of the way it did work out.

I thought the dance scene at the end was quite touching really, though I do feel a bit sorry for Ianto as Jack does seem to be just using him for sex... Still, if a woman as attractive as the Captain wanted to use me that way I suppose I wouldn't complain too much
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

and still no retcon for rhys!!!? i'm sure that must be breaking internal TW rules

If you remember Gwen refused to give retcon to him & then the very next episode he helped Torchwood with a mission. So I doubt he'll be getting retconed any time soon.

Not a brilliant episode this time around. I'm curious as to how they manage to retcon everyone in the reception apart from Torchwood and Rhys.

So everyone was drinking champagne? No "designated drivers"?

Oh... and hasn't Nerys Hughes let herself go?
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by enzo1701 View Post
    So everyone was drinking champagne? No "designated drivers"?
    Well, no. They were all staying at the hotel.

Wayne Guest

I wasn't over fussed about this one. It was ok but, i suppose the recent standard as been pretty high, so this one seemed a bit unremarkable by comparison.

I enjoyed it. Not quite as funny as it might have been but why was there no reaction from Rhys after one of his (presumably) best friends was hideously murdered?

It was fun and had us laughing at some of it. Nerys Hughes being the evil shape shifting mother in law was brilliant. We loved it when she turned all evil. John Barrowman's turn at evil was less good, as he still seemed to be smiling happily! I'm also wondering how Tosh managed to run so fast in those silver high heeled shoes- I'd love to have seen her jump through that window and land safely!

Good fun.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

What a complete farce! Still, there's nothing wrong with farce when it's done properly. Some brilliant bits, some rubbish bits -

- Nerys Hughes was fab, either as a psycho alien or as an aggressive mother. Her recation to Gwen's walking down the aisle while heavily pregnant was fabulous!
    - 'DON'T BRING MY HORMONES INTO THIS!'
    - They remembered that Owen was dead.
    - The Torchwood team had a good time together and were 'Team-like'. Back in Season 1, they all hated each other so much.

Bad: Gwen explaining to her father about Torchwood; the Gwen / Jack / Rhys triangle, she should blooming make up her mind! and Tosh rebuffing that banana guy in a very geeky way.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I thought it was excellent. The shape shifter bits I found far more scary than I think was intended! Casting Nerys Hughes was just excellent, and she looked wonderful with red eyes and fangs! I thought this was a very sweet episode, from Gwen determined to get married whatever to Jack and Ianto's sweet dance. For once this was about love, not sex, which I sometimes think they forget is just as adult a concern.

Jack and Yanto dancing....... in front of Rhy's mother !!
    Heaven forbid, gay people dancing in front of other people! For me this was a far more natural "gay scene" than all those bits in previous weeks when they allude to a sly dirty shag. In fact it wasn't a gay scene at all, just two people who care about each other having a quick waltz.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    ...just two people who care about each other having a quick waltz.
    Is that a euphemism?

WhiteCrow Guest

Was a fun episode.

Has the cyberman schematic always been in the autopsy room by the way?

It was great to see Collete Brown as the villianess. I remember her well from the excellent Ultraviolet, where she was pretty much vamp-bait. Shame you don't see more of her on TV.

Last edited by WhiteCrow; 16th Mar 2008 at 12:58 AM.

She should have been a series regular, perhaps? Is she companion material for Doctor Who?

According to IMDB, she's got the big hat-trick of UK medical dramas, Doctors, Holby City and Casualty, so perhaps she just fancies herself in a nurse's uniform.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

I'm sure someone fancies her in a nurse's uniform.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    She should have been a series regular, perhaps? Is she companion material for Doctor Who?

According to IMDB, she's got the big hat-trick of UK medical dramas, Doctors, Holby City and Casualty, so perhaps she just fancies herself in a nurse's uniform.
    I think she's a little less fanciable than when she was in Ultraviolet.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkie View Post
    and still no retcon for rhys!!!? i'm sure that must be breaking internal TW rules
    Given that Torchwood now consists entirely (so it seems) of five people in a subway in Cardiff, and 20% of the workforce made a huge song and dance of refusing to give Rhys retcon at all, I imagine the rules can be pretty much re-written as and when required. There was some implication in previous episodes that no-one has ever worked in Torchwood before who had an external relationship (or survived long enough to have a meaningful one), so the situation with Gwen and Rhys is unprecedented.

As to the episode itself, highly enjoyable. There's some serious retcon work involved though. Somehow they have to make everyone forget the monster, Gwen being pregnant, and the vicious murder of one of the guests, but still remember that a wedding actually happened that day. That's a 'don't think about it' thing though, I guess.