Thread: Sleep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default Sleep

We had a thread about this on the old PS, but it's a worthy subject to bring up again, especially as I begin a new daily routine of early mornings and sensible bedtimes.

8 tips to help you sleep better...

Keep it regular - Make sure you go to sleep and wake up at roughly the same times every day, including the weekends. This helps set your biological clock - in no time, your sleep schedule will become a routine.

Avoid alcohol and caffeine - Avoid drinking caffeinated-beverages before bed. While many people think of alcohol as a sedative, drinking it before bed results in disrupted and poor-quality sleep.

Stop smoking - Nicotine is a stimulant and affects sleep in the same way as caffeine. Smoking can cause disrupted sleep.

Make your bedroom a place for sleeping - Your bedroom should be the place where you feel the most relaxed - so get rid of any clutter, keep the lighting low and, most of all, banish the telly to the living room. If you normally send emails from bed, your body is going to recognize it as a place to be alert.

Relax your mind and body - For the best night's sleep, wind down with a bubble bath, candlelight and music, yoga, or a good book. You'll fall asleep more quickly and sleep better if your mind and body aren't wound up. If you exercise on the way home from the office, try stopping by the gym on the way in.

Sleep in a comfortable bed - If you want to wake up well-rested, sleep on a mattress that is not too hard, not too soft, and not too old.

Leave your troubles at the door - If you’re worrying about what you need to get done tomorrow, make a to-do or priorities list. When you wake up, you'll feel organized and ready to take on the day.

Put some thought into what you eat - Going to bed over-stuffed can leave you feeling uncomfortable, making it hard to fall asleep. However, going to bed on an empty stomach is just as bad. Have a small dinner 2-3 hours before you go to sleep, and if you need a snack, try turkey, milk, or peanut butter. They contain the amino acid tryptophan which causes you to feel sleepy.
    What's your sleeping routine like? Are you an early bird or a night owl? How many hours can you manage each night? No Tim.

4.5 hours

4.5 hours
    A week?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

A month!

I manage to sleep about 6 - 8 hours a night..ish.

If I sleep more than 6 hours then I'm fine. If I sleep less than 5 hours then I'm fine, but if I'm woken up after sleeping for 5 to 6 hours then I'm in a foul mood all day & likely to lose my rag at the drop of a hat.
    Last edited by Dirk Gently; 9th Mar 2008 at 8:26 PM.

Pip Madeley Guest

What time do you tend to go to bed/wake up though?

Go to sleep between 11 & 2am & up between 6 to 8. Depends what I have on.

Pip Madeley Guest

Depends what I have on.
    Your pyjamas or Angela's underwear?

What is spleep?

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Noun describing a very short sleep.

What are pyjamas?

Captain Tancredi Guest

One word for you- cocoa. Specifically Whittards' flavoured cocoa- the mint and ginger varieties are heavenly.

I aim to go around 10.30 and get up about 6.15.

I go to sleep the instant my head touches the pillow, usually assisted by 10 minutes light reading beforehand. I usually go around midnight, and I'm up at 6.20am for work.

Si.

You're lucky, Si. I usually lie there waiting for it to happen and it takes a long time. I'm a light sleeper and a variety of things wake me up, which can often be a pain because it sometimes takes me a while to nod back off again.
    Still, I'm usually in bed between 10.30 and 11, and I'm up when Steve brings me tea in the morning around 6.45ish. I don't always sleep right through so I feel very pleased when I do.

I have no ability to nap either. I can't sleep in the day unless I'm ill (or as I found recently, jetlagged) so if I don't sleep properly I'm stuck until the next night and so sometimes I'm caught in a knock on effect of lack of sleep. That makes me rather tetchy!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I sleep as soon as i hit bed and can survive on 5hours a nite easily,usually wakin up at 5-30am for a 6-30 start at work

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    I usually lie there waiting for it to happen and it takes a long time.
    <snigger>

I usually get into bed at around 12 and read for an hour and then drift of too sleep fairly swiftly as long as I haven't napped earlier that day or spent all day watching telly or not doing anything. I find sundays can be like that and then it can take me ages to fall asleep.

usually lie there waiting for it to happen and it takes a long time.
    I've often thought about exactly what's involved in falling asleep. Being able to go to sleep so easily at night, I've often tried to do it at other times, but it doesn't work. Once I'm awake in the morning for example, I cannot go back to sleep. I deeply envy people who get woken up, grumble or talk to people, then can just doze back off again. Once I'm awake, I'm awake for good and I can't replicate that instant falling asleep.

I've come to the conclusion that falling asleep involves "putting" yourself into a certain inert place deep in your mind - basically training your mind to completely relax as soon as close your eyes. This isn't possible if you are too awake, or if something is on your mind, because then you keep yourself awake. So in the morning when you immediately start thinking about what you're doing that day, your mind isn't relaxed and you can't sleep.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Yeah - I've suffered from insomnia in the past which is a right pain.

I usually go to bed just after 12, and wake up about 7:30. I need to keep active at least every other day or the insomnia really kicks in. Anything upsets me and that's sleep out of the window.

But oddly enough I have a wierd skill for sleeping in stupid places. I think it must be a student thing, but I can get to sleep sometimes much easier on the floor/couch. My best nights sleep ever came when I fell alseep on a collection of Camerons cuddly toys after reading him a story one night.

Last week I ended up sleeping mainly on the couch, just because I could get really comfortable on it. But it helps having the sound of a fan on, because I've kind of trained my mind to sleep to the sound of it.

I don't go to sleep automatically, and can find those last moments before you go to sleep both the most enlightening and terrifying moments of the day.

Wayne Guest

It's rare that i'm in bed before 2am. 2.30-3.am is the norm. I usually sleep for about 6 to 7hrs, getting up between 9 & 10am.
    In winter i tend to get even later, probably crashing out around 4am & getting up around 10.30 - 11am, but i don't like to sleep too late in the summer.
    I'm a light sleeper generally, but i don't usually have much trouble sleeping. Though i have had periods of insomonia if unresolved issues have been at the back of my mind i guess.

i'm lucky i can sleep anywhere/anywhen i need to, lucky as i do 4 on 4 off 11pm to 7;30 am shifts, strangest place i ever slept hsbc atm foyer hudds. ( look it was 04:30h i couldnot be bothered to fork out £10 for a taxi home at that time of day!!)

I'm lucky in that once I go to bed and close my eyes I go straight into sleep but as Si Hunt was saying I agree in the morning if I get woken early, my mind sets about the tasks of the day so I can't get back to sleep even if I want to. I usually head for bed around midnight so I can get 7 hours sleep. I'm grumpy if I get less than 6 hours and I can easily sleep for 9 hours if I choose. 7 is the ideal mid week amount for me to feel ready for a shiny new day

As for where I sleep - the most important aspect is a pillow and a firm surface so I can sleep on floors OK if necessary but if I can't get my head comfy it's impossible.

Pip Madeley Guest

Everything worked out okay last night - I went to bed at 10.30pm, was asleep by 11pm and woke up at 7am. Let's hope my body clock can manage it tomorrow!

Because Monday to Thursday I get up for work at 5am I have to be in bed reasonably early and will always be in bed between 9.30 and 10 o'clock and normaly because i'm very tired i'm asleep pretty quickly. So I get around 7 hours sleep a night which is just about enough,. how ever on the days I don't work the night before it will normaly be around 11 to 12 midnight before I go to bed and then I won;t get up untill 9am the next morning.

I'm alsoi the same as Si Hunt, that's once I'm up and awake I can't go back to sleep or bed no matter how early it is.

I'll pump some life into this ancient thread

For the last two nights I've slept about 9 hours a night

I get to bed between 10 and 11pm, and get woken up, by my alarm clock, around 8am.

It's fantastic !

I've been suffering from sleep deprivation for a while,
    Pretty much since I started my current job, as I had to get up at 6am, in order to get into the office for 8am (it's a long commute at that time of day )

With a sleep deficit of at least a couple of days, getting 9 hours a night I'm sure it won't take me long to get on top of my sleep again
    Assume you're going to Win
    Always have an Edge