Thread: Whats your sub?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Whats your sub?

Now that the Subway Invasion is well underway with world domination of your sandwiches I just wanted to ask what you choose?

When I first went in I was daunted by the choice - there's at least 6 types of bread for starters!

I chose Honey Oat and simply as I can't be arsed haven't changed since. My favourite Sub has to be the BMT, though as a canny Scot, I'm now aware that the best deals are Sub of the Day so I've been trying these out. Italian BMT's my favourite. Since a local branch opened just last month it's left the poor old Boots meal deal cast aside and abandoned.

So what do you reckon?..are you a Sub virgin or all you all subbed out?

I was a bit put off by them, on the occassion that they forgot to microwave my chicken pieces for my hot chicken sandwich. The guy put them in the microwave, then took them out. No buttons were pressed.

Here in Victoria, there are many places to get Sub-style sandwiches, best of which is (Sir Reginald) Styles on (Bill) Strutton Ground. They cost from 1-2 and they have a huge selection. Yum!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

It's Cheese and Meatball Sub all the way. I've loved them since my first one when we were at the 2003 Invasion in Barking.

My classic favorites are the Seafood and Crab, or the Pizza/Meatball sub (they are pretty much the same thing but the just use the sauce on the pizza sub and leave off the meatballs.) I like trying the flavors when they come out sometimes to.

EAT FRESH!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    I was a bit put off by them, on the occassion that they forgot to microwave my chicken pieces for my hot chicken sandwich. The guy put them in the microwave, then took them out. No buttons were pressed.

!
    well that's exactly why I don't go any where near these sandwich places as I simply don't trust them..

I've never been in Subway, and don't particularly intend to. I just have a problem with chain sandwich shops - in fact, for every kind of shop now, from book shops to coffee shops, from bakers to hairdressers, there seems to be a big, national chain, visible on every high street. The day will come when there will be no independent retailers in our town centres...

Sorry, rant over, but that's how I feel.

And besides, why are they called 'sub' rolls, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post

And besides, why are they called 'sub' rolls, anyway?

Someone thought they were shaped like submarines, thus Submarine Sandwich, or 'Sub' for short.

They're also referred to as 'Hoagies' and 'Poor Boys' in different regions.

EDIT- Surprise, surprise. Wiki has its own webpage for subs.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_sandwich
    Last edited by Jeff; 29th Nov 2006 at 9:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Someone thought they were shaped like submarines, thus Submarine Sandwich, or 'Sub' for short.
    I wondered if that was the reason, but thought it was just too daft to be true! Thanks, Jeff.
    Last edited by Dave Tudor; 29th Nov 2006 at 9:31 PM.

It's great to once again be able show my propensity for Totally Useless Information.

Wayne Guest

There is now a 'Subway' situated about 30 seconds walk from my flat, So it's kind of too easy not to use. Though i only go about once a week.
    I do like the fact that you can have every type of salad on your sub if you want, without paying any extra.
    Anyway, i tend to have a 6" Tuna/Light Mayonaisse, with double cheese, Lettuce, Peppers, Cucumber, & Sweetcorn, on a Honey Oat. It's a healthy choice, & it's really tasty, for only 2.50.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Anyway, i tend to have a 6" Tuna/Light Mayonaisse, with double cheese, Lettuce, Peppers, Cucumber, & Sweetcorn, on a Honey Oat. It's a healthy choice, & it's really tasty, for only 2.50.
    2.99 here but only 1.99 on a Monday when it's sub of the day

Everyone in the one local to my office is Polish I believe - at first communication was a bit hit or miss but sorted now!

You know Saville is going to get excited by questions about subs.

I went in a Subway once but there was dead stuff in every sandwich so I didn't stay long.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

I like a bit of dead animal in my sub now and again

What Dave said.
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I like a bit of dead animal in my sub now and again
    It beats trying to eat a live one.

Subway's are OK, but Blimpie were better.

Ah Lissa, you know me so well...

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lissa View Post
    I went in a Subway once but there was dead stuff in every sandwich so I didn't stay long.
    They do a Veggie Delite, but it seems to be some kind of strange vegetable patty thing- for a shop which makes a big thing out of the number of salad combinations you can have, they do seem to make heavy weather out of making meat-free sandwiches. Benjy's have some more interesting combinations and Boots do a nice falafel wrap.

I never quite took to Blimpie because their idea of salad dressing seemed to be half a pint of vinegar.

I had one in Soho Square the other week. It was some sort of chicken and bacon on italian bread or something and it was nice.

It's a good story Granpa

Had my first of the year yesterday, trhe polish girl behind the counter knew what I was going to ask for.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Had my first of the year yesterday, trhe polish girl behind the counter knew what I was going to ask for.
    And did she give it to you, sir?

every time without fail.

Am I allowed to post pictures of my latest sub?

Wayne Guest

I miss your presence on these boards Mike! Come back soon!

I had a cheese & salami sub in Indiananpolis a couple of years ago but I've not had one in England. I'm not sure where the nearest Subway to me is, I think there is one in Buckingham & there is almost definitely one in M.K's shopping centre.

I got a big smile when I went in for my sub today...