Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    WhiteCrow Guest

Default Favourite songs by "Legendary" groups ...

I thought as a bit of fun - what are your favourite songs produced by the following Legendary (*) bands?

1) The Beatles

2) The Rolling Stones

3) Genesis

4) Marc Bolan and the T-Rex

5) Duran Duran

6) U2

7) Blur

8) Oasis

9) Take That

10) The Spice Girls

11) Queen

* Here legendary is used to mean quite popular, over whetehr the band had much in the way of musical value
    Last edited by WhiteCrow; 13th Mar 2008 at 12:28 AM.

WhiteCrow Guest

1) The Beatles
    "Norwegan Wood" - still surprised IKEA hasn't bought the rights to this song. A simple one, and one of my favourites.

2) The Rolling Stones
    "Paint it black"

3) Genesis
    "Music Box" - I really like the early Peter Gabriel fronted Genesis, and think the group died a death when he left.

"Get it on"

5) Duran Duran
    "Reflex" - a hard call, I liked Duran Duran, but all their songs kind of sound a bit samey.

6) U2
    "In the name of love", one of those very passionate rock tracks U2 don't seem to write any more.

7) Blur
    "To the end"

8) Oasis
    "All around the world", not for musical value, simply as it's the song which was number 1 the day my son was born.

9) Take That
    "Shine" - a song I liked, and was actually surprised to find it was a Take That song.

10) The Spice Girls
    "2become1", I bought this on a CD single when I proposed to my wife. (Hint - she said yes)

11) Queen

"Don't Stop Me Now" - love the song, and Colly once sung it to me, it was one of those moments you realise you love someone and you're meant to be with them.
    Last edited by WhiteCrow; 13th Mar 2008 at 12:30 AM.

Wayne Guest

1) The Beatles

'Paperback Writer'. Top Riff.

2) The Rolling Stones

'Jumpin' Jack Flash'. I'm not a massive Stones fan, but this one rocks. :wayne

3) Genesis

'Calling All Stations' It's like aural belgian chocolate or something. Gorgeous!

'20th Century Boy' is passable.

5) Duran Duran

None.

6) U2

What's that dead old one of theirs that goes: "Walk Away Walk Away, Walk Away Walk Away, I Will Follow". (or something) That one.

7) Blur

None

8) Oasis

None

9) Take That

None

10) The Spice Girls

'Spice Up Your Life' It's a little bit Latin.

Pip Madeley Guest

3) is The Musical Box good choice, though the group didn't die a death until 1997 imo

---------------

My choices:

1) The Beatles - Glass Onion (from Love) (Beatles fan may be sharpening their knives now )

2) The Rolling Stones - Undercover (cheesy but I love it!)

3) Genesis - Ripples (bloody difficult choosing a favourite, but it's truly beautiful, a superbly crafted eight minute song with musicianship of the highest calibre... with respect I think Mr Crow must be tone deaf if he thinks Genesis died a death once Gabriel left, because the two albums that followed his departure are quite simply definitive Genesis... IMO )

4) Marc Bolan and the T-Rex - Get It On (easy choice)

5) Duran Duran - Rio (never been a real DD fan, but I don't mind this one)

6) U2 - With Or Without You (one of the best rock ballads ever written, first came to my attention when it was used in Friends, classic stuff)

7) Blur - To The End (beautiful strings, memorable vocals)

8) Oasis - Talk Tonight (Noel's finest moment, a strong relatively hidden gem with great acoustic guitar, and best of all I can sing along without going out of tune! )

9) Take That - Everything Changes (great pop song!)

10) The Spice Girls - Too Much (just a really classy, memorable pop ballad, well sung, excellent group vocal)

11) Queen - One Vision (it just ROCKS )

1) The Beatles

A Day in The Life

2) The Rolling Stones

Tumbling Dice

3) Genesis

Follow You Follow Me

4) Marc Bolan T-Rex

Get It On

5) Duran Duran

Save A Prayer

6) U2

New Year's Day

7) Blur

Pass on that one.

8) Oasis

Look Back In Anger

9) Take That

How Deep Is Your Love 'cos it's a Bee Gees song, come to think of it where are they in this list?

10) The Spice Girls

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morgan View Post
    How Deep Is Your Love 'cos it's a Bee Gees song, come to think of it where are they in this list?
    I tried to limit myself to 10 bands, and try and get at least 2 bands who could be associated with every era. The criteria was more their popularity-ish.

Yeah Bee Gees could have easily made it into the list, if only I'd thought of them. I was going to go for Fleetwood Mac, but I didn't think they were quite big enough. [I can hear the hate mail building up already]

Likewise I was also toying a bit with INXS instead of Duran Duran.

Oh crud - I was going to add Queen on as well!

EDIT
    In fact I've had to add it - simply because I was listening to Queen on my MP3 player and the idea for this thread came up. Cannot miss out the band which started the thread!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    ....I was going to go for Fleetwood Mac, but I didn't think they were quite big enough. [I can hear the hate mail building up already]
    If you were going to add Fleetwood Mac you'd then be asked to differentiate between two different eras, you can't win.
    And by the way... 10cc should go in there as well as Queen.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morgan View Post
    If you were going to add Fleetwood Mac you'd then be asked to differentiate between two different eras, you can't win.
    The same is kind of true for Genesis. I like to think of the Peter Gabriel years as true Genesis. The Phil Collins years I think of as Exodus ...

1) The Beatles
    I am the Walrus. Such a multi-layered song. I love the child like lyrics that seem to mean something ebcause John snarls them, George Martin's superb arrangement with the cellos and french horns and Roger Delgado being one of the voices heard in the snippets of King Lear at the end... epic!

2) The Rolling Stones
    Not a huge fan, but I do like You Can't Always Get What You Want a great deal.

3) Genesis
    Tricky. I'll have to have choose 2 I'm afraid- the masterful Firth of Fifth and my childhood favourite Follow You, Follow Me.

Get it On. It's such a sly tune.

5) Duran Duran
    View to a Kill. Like a phe-o-nix from the flame! Makes me smile whenever I hear it.

6) U2
    Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me.

7) Blur
    Beetlebum. I really didn't like it when I first heard it, but it really grew on me, and is one of my favourite songs ever these days. There's something about the way the chorus sighs and soars that makes my heart race... and Damon looked incredibly sexy in the video too. Yum!

8) Oasis
    Live Forever. Epic anthem!

9) Take That
    Shine. It's such a great spangly pop song.

10) The Spice Girls
    Who Do You Think You Are? Always been a favourite.

11) Queen
    These Are The Days of Our Lives. For a moment in 2003 that I'm not going to explain, but it was special.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

1) The Beatles
    HEY JUDE

2) The Rolling Stones
    PAINT IT BLACK

3) Genesis
    I don't know if it counts but the Turn it on Again medley they performed at Knebworth in 1990 (I think). It's fab and goes on for about 15 mins

GET IT ON

5) Duran Duran
    Can I have ELECTRIC BARBARELLA?

6) U2
    WHERE THE STREETS HAVE NO NAME

7) Blur
    PARKLIFE

8) Oasis
    Hmmm.... never been a big fan of Oasis, so I'll settle for the standby option: WONDERWALL

9) Take That
    Ick.... errr ok SHINE (the new album's fab)

10) The Spice Girls
    Favourite song? Okay it'll have to be SAY YOU'LL BE THERE as the video is pvc-tastic.

11) Queen
    Can I only pick one song for such a fab band? Okay Bohemian Rhapsody's too obvious so gonna go for THE MIRACLE.
    Geoff

(1) The Beatles

"She's Leaving Home" has always been my favourite - a lovely song.

(2) The Rolling Stones

Possibly "You Can't Always Get What You Want" though I'm not a big fan (yet).

3) Genesis

I couldn't name a single song, sorry.

Deborah!

5) Duran Duran

I don't like them. But I'll say "View to a Kill".

6) U2

I only really like one song, and that's "The Sweetest Thing".

7) Blur

I always liked "Charmless Man". Their best singles were off "The Great Escape" I always thought.

8) Oasis

Mmmm, how does one pick a favourite. "The Masterplan" is the best song technically, but I'm going to be really obscure and pick a lost song because of a personal meaning - "Shout It Out Loud". I played it practically on loop during a certain few months in my life.

9) Take That

It's got to be "Back For Good" hasn't it? With "Patience" running it a close second.

10) The Spice Girls

"Viva Forever". For the lovely breathy Melanie Brown harmonies.

11) Queen

I think either "Days of Our Lives" or a song called "You Take My Breath Away" which is unbelievably lovely.

Si.

[QUOTE=Si Hunt;98277
    ..a song called "You Take My Breath Away" which is unbelievably lovely.

Si.[/QUOTE]

Yes indeed, it's a lovely song, and often overlooked in the Queen catalogue tucked away on the Day At The Races album..

For one of my favourite Queen songs I'd say Lily of the Valley from Sheer Heart Attack, but Flick of the Wrist from the same album got a lot of play when it was the B side of Killer Queen.

Pip Madeley Guest

3) Genesis

I couldn't name a single song, sorry.
    I'll remedy that.

1) The Beatles

Hey Jude

2) The Rolling Stones

I'm not a fan at all, but I did like their version of "Like A Rolling Stone"

3) Genesis

No Son of Mine is quite good.

Get It On. Bang a gong!

5) Duran Duran

Really don't like DD, but "View To A Kill" is my favourite at a push.

6) U2

The Perfecto remix of "Even Better Than The Real Thing"

7) Blur

The Universal is one of my favourite songs ever.

8) Oasis

Don't Look Back In Anger

9) Take That

Never Forget

10) The Spice Girls

Viva Forever

11) Queen

I Want To Break Free

1) The Beatles

Cor! where to begin? For the moment I'll say While My Guitar Gently Weeps, because of the guitar work on the White Album version and George's beuatiful performance on the demo.

2) The Rolling Stones

She's A Rainbow, though I can't help but think of rabbits when I hear it...

3) Genesis

If you count Supper's Ready as one song, I'll have this epic, otherwise Follow You Follow Me.

20th Century Boy. Rocks.

5) Duran Duran

A View to a Kill. Also one of the better Bond themes.

6) U2

Beautiful Day. Just because.

7) Blur

I only know three of theirs offhand; I'm not keen on Parklife or Beetlebum so I'll go for Country House by default.

8) Oasis

How Sweet To Be An Idiot. Or Whatever it's called.

9) Take That

Shine, though i've heard it so many times now i'm beginning to go off it. Never Forget would therefore be first reserve.

10) The Spice Girls

I really don't know. I'll say Wannabe for the sake of argument.

11) Queen

Bohemian Rhapsody. I really don't blame Kenny Everett for playing it fifty times a day.

1) The Beatles - Let It Be.

2) The Rolling Stones - Sympathy for The Devil, probably. Just started listening to these guys properly now, got 'Rolled Gold' recently.

3) Genesis - The Cage? Or Firth of Fifth. Firth of Fifth, probably.

4) Marc Bolan and the T-Rex - Get It On!

5) Duran Duran - I'm joining the View To A Kill fanclub here!

6) U2 - El - EEEE - Vay SHUN!!!

7) Blur - I really, really like Out Of Time.

8) Oasis - The Importance Of Being Idle, all their other songs are crap.

9) Take That - Shine! Can you believe it.

10) The Spice Girls - Wannabe has never been topped for sheer cheesy pop annoyance. I'll tell you what I Want, I rillyrillyrillyrillyrillyrillyrillyrillywanna zigaigaigaiziga.

11) Queen - Headlong. The 'cool' choice. Although Those Were The Days Of Our Lives is their best song.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

1) The Beatles..Hey Jude

2) The Rolling Stones.....don't like them

3) Genesis don't have one

4) Marc Bolan and the T-Rex..dont have one

5) Duran Duran...Rio

6) U2.....Pride(in the name of love)

7) Blur

8) Oasis

9) Take That....one of their recent singles just can't remember the name think it;s called Shine

10) The Spice Girls... Spice up your life

11) Queen...... Bohemium Rhapsody & Under Preasure

How Sweet To Be An Idiot. Or Whatever it's called.
    ?

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Larry View Post
    7) Blur

8) Oasis
    Larry's refusing to take sides in that age old 90's feud!

For Mr. Hunt's benefit...

Whatever was the subject of legal action because EMI pointed out to Neil Innes that the first line has the same tune as the first line of his song How Sweet To Be An Idiot. He settled out-of-court for a quarter of the publishing rights.

I can be more cryptic in future if you like...

I guessed it would be something like that.

Oh well, it's still a great song! Though they obviously don't think so, as it didn't make their recent "Best Of" despite being in the charts for literally years and making the Top 3...

Si.

This is hard! It's near impossible to pick a favourite from most of these, but here goes...

1) The Beatles Hey Jude

2) The Rolling Stones Honky Tonk Women

3) Genesis Home By The Sea

4) Marc Bolan and the T-Rex Ride A White Swan

5) Duran Duran A View To A Kill

6) U2 When Love Comes To Town

7) Blur I'm not a fan, offhand I can't even think of a song of theirs!

8) Oasis Don't Look Back In Anger...I love that one, but I'm not a huge fan of the rest of their stuff

9) Take That again, not my type of music but I really liked their comeback singles...I thought they were much better than any of the songs they did first time round.

10) The Spice Girls 2 Become 1

11) Queen this is the hardest one of the lot, as Queen are possibly my favourite group of all. Tenement Funster/Flick Of The Wrist/Lily Of The Valley? You And I? The Prophet's Song? I could pick practically anything from their 70s output but my choice (for now!) is....Save Me

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    11) Queen this is the hardest one of the lot, as Queen are possibly my favourite group of all. Tenement Funster/Flick Of The Wrist/Lily Of The Valley? You And I? The Prophet's Song? I could pick practically anything from their 70s output but my choice (for now!) is....Save Me
    If it wasn't for an emotional attachment to one song, because of the person involved, I'd agree with this.

Interestingly no-ones gone for Bohemian Rhapsody, supposedly the ultimate rock anthem. And although it's an excellent piece of rock, I don't find it quite as emotionally engaging as some of their other songs.

Agreed. Although I do think it's an excellent song, even though through familiarity it's easy to forget just how unusual this release was, particularly when compared with other singles in the charts at the time. I just feel that Queen had so much more to offer than the hits that they're best known for. Much of their best work was buried away on their albums, receiving no radio airplay.

I actually do think Bohemian Rhapsody is one of the finest pieces of music ever created (it's still as good now as the first time I heard it)... but I think people are staying away from it because it's the obvious choice. However I'm really surprised that people don't class Innuendo as being as good because to me it's very very similar. Balladic beginning, alternative music style, rock ending. But I could go on and rave about so many different Queen songs for so many different reasons: Kind of Magic, Breakthru, Who Wants To Live Forever, Flash, These Are The Days Of Our Lives, etc.
    Geoff