Default Doctor Who Myths

What’s your favourite Doctor Who myth?

I’m not talking about Rassilon and his immortality, or the Minotaur and Unicorn from The Mind Robber, but myths about the series itself – strange stories or facts which are bizarre in nature but maybe some of which we believed (or still believe?) to be true back in the days when Doctor Who reference was far more limited.

For example, that old chestnut about William Hartnell being given a 16mm print of The Feast of Steven, or perhaps that Invasion of the Dinosaurs Part One was wiped because someone thought it was an episode of The Invasion? It doesn’t necessarily have to be on the subject of missing episodes; I’m sure there are lots more myths and legends out there – name your favourites!

I love the myth that *there are episode hoarders that have missing episodes & refuse to tell/show them to anyone/the BBC because they like to feel special & to feel like they are the only ones who have seen so'n'so episode since it was broadcast. Ian Levine has been accused of this. As if he's going to refuse the "I saved Doctor Who" label.

*(sorry, it is about missing episodes).

David Burton filmed a pilot for Doctor Who in the 90's. As if?
    Why's it never been leaked?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    David Burton filmed a pilot for Doctor Who in the 90's. As if?
    Why's it never been leaked?
    Oh yes - I forgot about all that David Burton stuff! I wonder what became of it?

Kate Bush wrote Kinda and Snakedance and was due to star as Morgana in Greatest Show... Idoubt she wrote them- it ook her 12 years to do Aerial, so two Doctor Who scripts in the space of a year seems unlikely!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I was gonna mention the Kate Bush ones too. I love the idea she could have played Morgana. She's not unlike the actress that did play her.

I can't think of any although the rumours of a colour "Evil of the Daleks" turning up in the 80s and Part Three (or whatever) of "The Happiness Patrol" being done as an animation is slightly amusing. A little bit.

There were also rumours that The Happiness Patrol was going to be recorded in Black and White.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

The Dark Dimension starring David Bowie and K.D. Lang.

The one about Hartnell storming onto the set of "The Seeds of Death" and picking a fight with Troughton.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Actor Ronald Pickup did not have anything to do with The Reign Of Terror.

(a myth which Dave Tudor still believes )

The Hartnell scenes in "The Three Doctors" being filmed in the Hartnell's garage.

WhiteCrow Guest

Isn't there a myth Sarah Sutton and Peter Davison were having an affair, the reason why Nyssia was added to the series in Logopolis.

There's a myth that Katy Manning has been porked by 4 Doctor Whos and an even more bizzare myth that Ian Marter and Nick Courtney had a fling together.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    even more bizzare myth that Ian Marter and Nick Courtney had a fling together.

well when you read the biographies and hear the rumours about all the old Hollywood great male actors who were having flings/affairs with each other nothing would supprise me.

I heard a rumour that someone called Ian Levine ate all the pies; I don't know if it's true though.

well when you read the biographies and hear the rumours about all the old Hollywood great male actors who were having flings/affairs with each other nothing would supprise me.
    SO IT'S TRUE?!? OMG!! I KNEW IT!

Si.

The Master's real name being 'Jehosophat'. It may not be juicy and it may not be behind-the-scenes, but it had everyone baffled for a few days.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

The rumour that Sophie & Sylvester where having an affair has always brought a smile to my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Gently View Post
    The rumour that Sophie & Sylvester where having an affair has always brought a smile to my face.

I wouldn't like to think what they used that umbralla for..

Quote Originally Posted by Simon R View Post
    The Hartnell scenes in "The Three Doctors" being filmed in the Hartnell's garage.
    Not to mention Troughton's opening scene in the same story coming from 'The Macra Terror'...
    Your people? Your people??? They are MY people now!

Because I tended to pick up pre-200 DWMs in random order, I was confused by the Tenth Planet in COLOR~! story they did one April Fools Day.

I don't know if it is true or if it is a myth or just speculation but I think we should all officially adopt Tat Wood's claim that there wasn't a cancellation in 1985 - it was a perfectly normal decision not to make Doctor Who in the 85/86 tax year for financial reasons. Ian Levine will almost certainly melt if people stop believing the show was axed and then saved by him and some other people.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    Actor Ronald Pickup did not have anything to do with The Reign Of Terror.

(a myth which Dave Tudor still believes )
    But show me the proof, man, the proof!!!

Not such a myth, but more of a rumour, that in one of the many aborted 90's revivals (maybe even the TV Movie) the TARDIS was to 'rap' and have lips. That one still leaves me in a cold sweat.

The completely unfounded myth that The Gunfighters was the worst story ever

Or slightly less subjectively, I'm sure some people seem to think this was the Hartnell story with the lowest viewing figures, although this is clearly not true either.

My Dad also clung to the belief that William Hartnell died while in the role and was temporarily replaced with another actor until Patrick Troughton took over. But this is hardly a widespread myth.

The myth that The Massacre features a character called Anne Chaplette.

The myth that Dodo ever speaks with a Cockney accent (although this might be true, but I never heard it).

And the biggest myth of all.... that the Third Doctor only got his freedom to roam the Universe again after The Three Doctors, but if you actually watch his stories in order and pay attention to what's actually said and done, it becomes blatantly clear that he fixed the TARDIS ages before this. (no-one seems to agree with me on this, but it's true )

WhiteCrow Guest

How about the whole myth around Ian Levine?

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    How about the whole myth around Ian Levine?
    It's no myth, Ian Levine is indeed round.