Default TW2 is boring me now

Where's it going ? everybody knows everything about everyone:

Jack can't die (yet) and he fancies Gwen and Gwen fancies him and they both know it.
    Rees now knows what Gwen does and all about TW
    Owen is..... who knows ?!

There's some island about 10 foot from the coast full of ex-rift victims.

It needs some genuine deaths, new characters and new storylines.
    Last edited by SiHart; 20th Mar 2008 at 8:35 AM.

Hope you don't mind, but I've added a spoiler tag to your post, as not everyone has seens the episode yet...

Persoanlly I'm finding it all much more enjoyable than season 1, mostly because we know the characters a whole lot better than we did at this point last season. I find the dynamics between them are far better this time round because they mostly get on- it's better than all the tedious angst and arguing and holding each other at gunpoint we got last time round.
    I think there's still plenty to explore in the characters and as last night's BBC3 episode showed, there's lots of mileage in the relationship between Gwen's worklife and her home life with Rhys. I'm sorry you're bored, but I'm not!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

No, I'm not bored either. I don't need it to be 'going anywhere'. As with Doctor Who, I'm happy watching each episode on it's own merits. I didn't want it to be a soap with loooong story lines & thankfully that's not what we have. The only story lines we really have are Gwen & Rhys and Jack & Grey.
    That's enough for me.

I'm enjoying it, what I see of it. There's a few glaring plotholes again, and some rushed resolutions to storylines, but that can't be helped with the format. I think it's an improvement on last time.

Also, here's something else.

One of my best friends is an addict- he watches next to no TV at all- but loves Torchwood. Even without the Dr Who references. He had no idea who Martha was and how she knew Jack, or even which Doctor jack keeps referring to. He sort of assumed that all would be revealed later in the series. But the idea that it works for someone who barely knows Doctor Who is very promising.

I'm finding this series a lot better than the first. It's found its feet and is now an adult show without having pointless and gratuitous scenes that scream 'look, we're adult' in a very immature way. The characters have settled down a bit, and Rhys is a lot more interesting now he's not the clueless boyfriend Gwen kept everything from.

It still can't decide how secret Torchwood is, however, which is beginning to irritate now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Thompson View Post
    It still can't decide how secret Torchwood is, however, which is beginning to irritate now.
    Don't forget UNIT has been swinging back and forth from being an ultra-secret organisation to one that has a great big sign outside its HQ and gives press conferences since about 1968. Torchwood is still in the nursery compared to them

WhiteCrow Guest

It has been a bit of a mixed bag in the run up,

• the frantic fun of Something Borrowed
    • the brilliant, but seriously flawed From Out of the Run
    • the earnest but generally slow Adrift
    • and the flashback episode Fragments - which honestly feels like an episode which so helps to set up the characters, it should have been used a long time before

It's not great, it's good, it's getting better. It still feels somewhat raw though - like it should feel a bit more polished, and some areas aren't as well thought out as they should be. But thank god it's getting a bit of a sense of fun, and less earnest sometimes.

Not sure how I feel about the return of Captain John and his whole motivation. Seems a bit naff - it almost feels like they've had a 2 parter and put in 11 episodes in between.

Also we were talking about this - the ad for Torchwood back in Jan gave the impression this season would be a bit more story arc-y but it hasnt

Ok, bad day, it's not really boring me as such, it's just the cast is great, the whole idea is great but maybe I'm too fussy. I think with all it's got it should be delivering more ummphh ! And can someone tell me how I do these blacked out spoilers ?

this is a test for a spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Hope you don't mind, but I've added a spoiler tag to your post, as not everyone has seens the episode yet...

Persoanlly I'm finding it all much more enjoyable than season 1, mostly because we know the characters a whole lot better than we did at this point last season. I find the dynamics between them are far better this time round because they mostly get on- it's better than all the tedious angst and arguing and holding each other at gunpoint we got last time round.
    I think there's still plenty to explore in the characters and as last night's BBC3 episode showed, there's lots of mileage in the relationship between Gwen's worklife and her home life with Rhys. I'm sorry you're bored, but I'm not!

Si xx

pretty much agree with what Si, says it took me a long time to really take to series 1 but I have been enjoying series 2 far more and the stories have been consistanly good. Yes there are a few niggles but I have that with the new series of Doctor Who to.

What I love about "Torchwood" is that most of the time, like "Adrift", it's about STORIES. So we don't have to keep finding out big dark secrets, it's about small adventures that people have that make them wiser. And there's a "new storyline" every week. And why do we have to have "genuine deaths" to make it a better show?

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Master_Rose View Post
    And can someone tell me how I do these blacked out spoilers ?
    Yes. When you post by hitting 'reply' & not using the quick reply feature, you will see a row of 'functions' starting with Bold, Italic etc, it ends with S. This is the spoiler function. Click it & put text inbetween the tags.

Well done for explaining that Tim! I would have done it myself but I couldn't be bothered.

Si.

WhiteCrow Guest

I think Torchwood this season has been much improved. But it's still a way off being the polished final product it really ought to - esp listening to the talent banging on about it in Torchwood Declassified.

It's like a school report card, I give it a B for attainment, but also say "could do better".