Default BF 106: Dark Husband

Couldn't find a thread for this but the first McCoy in what seems like forever is now out

It hasn't plopped on our mat yet. Perhaps we could try this downloading thing.

Of course, Sophie's vocal talents are quite familiar to us. It seems that every other advert she's telling us about Glade Plug-Ins, or TravelSupermarketDotCom.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Sophie Aldred is the voice of Twenty First Century Advertising! Who'd have thunk it?

Si.

It has arrived. On the back, Sean Connolly is credited as "Snot monster".

My excitement about this story has just changed considerably one way or the other.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Although very traditional this gets the thumbs up from me,the regulars are on fine form,aided by some very clever dialogue by writer David Quantick and Danny Webb's Brian Blessed impersonation

I might have to get this one. Didn't realise it was the David Quantick one.
    He's a comedy writing hero of mine.

I enjoyed this one quite a lot. It was no classic, but the dialogue was fun and it was quite satisfying.

Of more concern is that Hex and Ace were written almost exactly the same as Rob and Nick from the PS Audios. Apart from them fancying each other. The whole TARDIS scene at the start seems rather familiar, with the Doctor hiding holiday brochures in the TARDIS washroom for Hex to find. And their talking about going to a beer tent at a festival... it's not quite the same, but it's the sort of thing I could well imagine them getting up to. Weird.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

If Hex ever says "Ah, a bit of a dare I see!" then we'll know they're secretely pilfering from our scripts.

Si.

It would be no bad thing if Mr Quantick was a fan of the PS Audios.

It was quite enjoyable, mostly because, as Steve said it felt like something we'd write! and McCoy was quite good too. The slight alteration of a line from Battlefield made us laugh.

8/10

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    Of more concern is that Hex and Ace were written almost exactly the same as Rob and Nick from the PS Audios. Apart from them fancying each other. The whole TARDIS scene at the start seems rather familiar, with the Doctor hiding holiday brochures in the TARDIS washroom for Hex to find. And their talking about going to a beer tent at a festival... it's not quite the same, but it's the sort of thing I could well imagine them getting up to. Weird.
    Also, spookily, one of the characters is a Scouser, while the other is an outrageous OTT Londoner. Although, naturally, Rob is far more believeable!

This is indeed like something we'd make! In fact, worryingly, the opening scene is exactly the same as something I just wrote for the start of our next story, damnit.

This aside, I have done Episode 1 so far and it's pretty crap, as per usual with the 7th Dr Audios. Why do he, Ace and Hex always have dull adventures on dreary futuristic alien planets?

Si.

It's taken me two weeks, but I've finished this now. I can honestly say it was the dullest, most smug, irritating, nonsensical pile of bollocks I've ever had to listen to. They were obviously lured into using the script by the pull of a famous comedy writer who's non-professional ambition has evidently always been to mess about with his favourite show for a laugh.

When they talk about always having to relate back to Earth or humans in the new series we all groan, but here is exactly why they do it - have I EVER felt so uninvolved? The alien Ri and Ir are at war, and only the planet Tuin can arbibrate by arranging a wedding between the shining wife and the dark husband and observing the rituals so that... GOD KILL ME NOW! It's like the spoof that DWM invented once of crap unlovable New Adventure novels featuring boring politics. The entire two races on the planet are represented by two actors, one doing a Brian Blessed impression the other speaking very slowly whatever's happening the action to demonstrate that he's the thinking part.

The characterisation's ludicrous - Ace has turned into Rob from our stories, Hex is suddenly a bloke on a stag weekend. The entire story finishes up in the classic worst-Doctor-Who story fashion of lots of people in a big cave talking for 40 minutes. The explanation is too complicated, boring and uninvolving to even remember. And for an apparent comedy writer it's utterly unfunny.

Blimey, I never want to hear this again! Worst story since "The Settling".

Si.

Actually the Ri and the Ir are played by the same actor, Danny Webb.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I was getting that gist from the CD extra's shortly before I turned them off fearing the onset of rigour mortis, but then I looked at the box and two names are credited.

Si.

Andy B Newb and Benny Dawb are both anagrams of Danny Webb - his performance was one of the few highlights of a story which probably sounded great in the pitch (blah blah divided self blah blah) but didn't work once he had to add a hundred minutes of story and dialogue onto his précis.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

It was odd they had an extra who sounded almost exactly like Brian Blessed (but not quite). It would kind of work, if Brian Blessed didn't exist. Because he does but is probably beyond Big Finish's entire yearly budget, the performance was the equivilent of those cheap foreign import brand 'Adidos' tracksuits. A fairly good copy that continually makes you miss the real thing.

Si.

I think Brian Blessed would do Big Finish if they asked him. Can you imagine the fun he'd have alone in a sound proof booth? I'm sure he wouldn't cost any more than their other guest stars. Speaking of guest stars, Danny Webb's other main voice was clearly Leslie Philips even though the real thing would be along in a couple of months.

#dammitbrent