Thread: Duffy

Default Duffy

Following in the foorsteps of Amy Winehouse, another Aimee- Aimee Ann Duffy- is making some recent success with her wonderful soul debut "Rockferry". I love it, it's '60s infused sound is very much my kind of thing, and respect for the 23 year old for voicing the praises of Dusty Springfield and her like, and saying she does not yet deserve those comparisons. Maybe so, but "Rockferry" is still a remarkably assured and emotive debut. The last track, "Distant dreamer", even prompted a tear or two from your truly- so there you go; a record that makes you cry. Result!

"Her current single, "Mercy", is No.1 in the Uk singles chart, so she's obviously on a roll. Anybosy else impressed by the young Welsh singer?

Incidently, I was on the Llyn peninsula a couple of weeks ago, visiting Whispering sands beach. On the way we passed through Nefyn, which turns out to be Duffy's birth place! Very remote and back-water, but quite beautiful.
    Last edited by Carol Baynes; 24th Mar 2008 at 1:20 PM.

She's too Welsh and Radio 1 playing 'Mercy' every half hour has destroyed my entire life.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Sarah Kennedy seems quite fond of it too. I've been tempted to buy it if only because my dad used to work in Rock Ferry (the place is two separate words) and if things had worked out differently I could have gone to school there.

I don't like her voice or her songs I'm afraid. She does nothing for me!

Si.

Her current single, "Mercy", is No.1 in the Uk singles chart
    Not any more!

Si.

Thank **** for that, we have indeed received mercy.

I've being following the Duffy thing since just before Christmas intrigued as to what this Girl had that attracts so many respected musicians.

As a runner up in the "WAW Factor" the Welsh equivelent to the "X Factor" initially she issued some really traditional Welsh folky stuff.

This new incarnation has some major positive points, and although I am slightly disappointed with the album as a whole there are some brilliant tracks and ideas. One major thing is the obvious searching for direction. It's not all "Mercy" kind of material and that may be the secret to her longevity.

I find Duffy refreshing todate in not following the traditional stuff, and for knocking Leona ( A manufactured item ) back for a short while.

All acheived on a fraction of the investment and publicity.

Already overhyped I hope that those guiding her future can place some measure in how she is promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    Sarah Kennedy seems quite fond of it too. I've been tempted to buy it if only because my dad used to work in Rock Ferry (the place is two separate words) and if things had worked out differently I could have gone to school there.

i think if you look up her comments on utube regarding this then the Rockferry in her songs is not about the actual place Rock Ferry, but a mythical place in her imagination.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stephenhannan View Post
    i think if you look up her comments on utube regarding this then the Rockferry in her songs is not about the actual place Rock Ferry, but a mythical place in her imagination.
    I didn't really think it would be about the actual place- it's just amusing that anybody should pick the name out for anything.

I didn't really think it would be about the actual place- it's just amusing that anybody should pick the name out for anything.
    Yep, it would be amusing if it was the actual place it was inspired by. As it is, it's just an an intriguing and ambiguous name and might not have been inspired by the place. It's a better title than calling your album "Bolton" (for example! )

It's probably a good thing I don't listen to the radio very much so I've not had Duffy in my ears, although can't you just switch it off if you want? I'd not heard owt from her until the other week.
    As for the album as a whole, I'm thinking not many of you like soul (especially that kind of '60s sound)? I can see it wouldn't be the popular choice if you're not into that kind of thing.

Captain Tancredi Guest

I can't really imagine Rock Ferry would inspire anybody much- it's the bit of Birkenhead more or less in between Tranmere Rovers football ground and what's left of the shipyards.

Having said that, I think I've reached the "old curmudgeon" phase of music appreciation- it's got words and a tune so may well pick it up at some stage this next week.

I can't really imagine Rock Ferry would inspire anybody much- it's the bit of Birkenhead more or less in between Tranmere Rovers football ground and what's left of the shipyards.
    You had a lucky escape not going to school there!
    Good friend of mine works as a social worker, and he tells me their are more rehoused sex offenders per square mile in Rock Ferry than anywhere else on the Wirral. Still like the song, although "Why won't you release me?" has been given a rather darker edge than I would have liked.

Loved it! I thought when Spike went over to Angel was a bit far fetched though.

Oh.... Duffy, not Buffy.

Quite liked the song myself... and before I even found out she was Welsh (she's like a good Amy Winehouse).
    Geoff

Captain Tancredi Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cloud (Slight Return) View Post
    You had a lucky escape not going to school there! Good friend of mine works as a social worker, and he tells me their are more rehoused sex offenders per square mile in Rock Ferry than anywhere else on the Wirral.
    Curious- 25 years ago when I was moving to secondary school, Rock Ferry had a reputation as the best boys' high school in Birkenhead. Didn't work out that way, anyway.