Default Arguing Musicians

I was surfing around the net today, and read yet another story about how one band thinks another band's shit, and so on and so forth. And it's just really annoying me nowadays about how much musicians bitch at each other. Almost everyone seems to be doing it too, from Razorlight to Girls Aloud...

I find it really odd too considering it rarely ever happens in any other form of popular media, okay, the odd actor's complained about Dennis Hopper during his drug fuelled crazy days, but you never get Tom Cruise claiming how rubbish Mel Gibson is, or Johnny Depp saying that Robert DeNiro's a complete waste of space.

I know it's been something that's going on for decades, and probably hit a high during the days of Blur vs. Oasis, and that the main reason they do it is in the hope it'll get them soon news coverage in the tabloids, but is anyone else just really sick of Johnny indieband slagging off Cheryl Girlband, etc, etc? And is there any hope it'll ever end?
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

WhiteCrow Guest

I hear part of these feuds, particularly in rap is for publicity.

Band A has a pop at band B, and all of a sudden both are getting exposure in the media for free. It raises both band's profile.

It's like the feud between Jordan and Jodie Marsh - we'd have never really heard about Jodie Marsh but for this "feud".

Part of it of course goes back to punk, where bands pretty much said "everything which came before us was sold out shit". It kind of was a way of saying that "if you don't like current bands, you have to like us".

It's veering a little from the music related subject, but people like Kerry Katona and Jordan make a disgraceful living out of slagging each other off in the pages of "Heat!" and the like. Who's fault is it really? The people that buy it and keep them going. Buyers of cheap rags like "Heat!" and "Now!" ought to be ashamed.

Si.

Often is the case when you see a headline along the lines of "So and So SLAMS Britney" and then you read the story and all it is is So and So saying something like "I think Britney's great and I wish her well but I don't like her new single all that much". Those jackass tabloids like to stir.

WhiteCrow Guest

Of course in the case of Tupak and the Nortorious BIG the animosity turned out to be quite genuine.

Oasis and Blur haven't come to such blows ... yet.

Pip Madeley Guest

Tupak and the Nortorious BIG
    Middle-aged white man alert!