Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Doctor Who is EVIL!

I have just read this little nugget on sfx.co.uk.

Born Again Christian Spurns Doctor Who

A West Country born-again Christian is selling his collection of £7,000 worth of Doctor Who memorabilia because Doctor Who is evil, reports The Wiltshire Times.

Now that Simon White, 47, of Trowbridge, has found God, he is casting aside his Who collection because it represents the "greatest lie Satan ever told" (he hasn’t seen the new Flash Gordon, then). Items include a full-size TARDIS he built himself, a Dalek, two Cyberemen and a K-9.

"I had to retire early from my job as a nurse at the Royal United Hospital in Bath in 1998 because I was suffering from bipolar disorder,” says White. “I turned to drink and became an alcoholic and the Dr Who obsession was the only thing that kept me going. I wouldn't have given it up if you'd have put a gun to my head.” But now, “"God delivered me from the evil that is Doctor Who, materialism and alcoholism.”

If materialism is so bad, then why is he auctioning off his collection on eBay? Just give the stuff away, mate.
    Anyone want to bid?
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Now that Simon White, 47, of Trowbridge, has found God, he is casting aside his Who collection because it represents the "greatest lie Satan ever told"
    Oh come off it! Wasn't that supposed to be convincing the world he didn't exist?
    I was suffering from bipolar disorder
    Poor guy. Perhaps he's ebaying it all to raise money for charity?

In what way is Doctor Who evil then?
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

WhiteCrow Guest

I wonder if he's been told Doctor Who is evil because a gay man runs it now, and that's a sin.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    In what way is Doctor Who evil then?
    Quite. No-where in that article does it actually mention what it is about DW that's apparently evil....

"Torchwood" is more blasphemous than Who. We're repeatedly shown characters dying and reporting that beyond it lies simply nothing. So "Torchwood" at least is evil.

Si.

Perhaps he watched The TV Movie with it's McGann as Christ imagery?

It's sad though. There should be room to be a Christian and enjoy the escpaism of Doctor Who. It's not real you know!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Ah, I've got it - he's watched Timelash!

I think the link is that whilst a drunk he loved Doctor Who & has drink & Doctor Who linked in his mind. The evil of drink is backed up by the evil of Doctor Who. The guy is obviously delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    Quite. No-where in that article does it actually mention what it is about DW that's apparently evil....
    Look Guys lets make no mistake Doctor Who is consumed with Evil....

The Master is the personification of Evil, the Cybs are evil..not forgetting the Evil of The Daleks, Planet of Evil and even the Mind of Evil

...everywhere you turn there's evil in Doctor Who, it's the work of the devil...this poor fellow's clearly seen the light while everyone else id still possessed by this terrible affliction

Seems like he's swapped one obsession for another. He claims that his obsession with it was the only thing sustaining him through his problems with his alcoholism and bipolar disorder, which is relying on it to an unhealthy degree in the first place, and now there's the reversal where it has to be expelled as much as possible from his life because he believes it conflicts with his new obsession. As Tim suggests, maybe he blames it either for not rescuing him from those problems, or for him having those problems at all. So it's "evil" because it didn't do what his new-found religion did for him, even though it's not supposed to be a religion in the first place.

Although if he really feels it's so dangerous or wrong, it's odd that he's apparently happy to risk others being exposed to it.
    Last edited by Logo Polish; 25th Mar 2008 at 4:49 PM.

This bloke is hardly representing mainstream Christianity. Rather he's representing one man's long, drawn-out descent into madness. Although it might be interesting to know why he thinks Doctor Who is evil, it doesn't really matter because it's unlikely to be a coherent and meaningful argument anyway.

If he really thought that Doctor Who was the biggest evil in the world then he would destroy his collection, not allow it to be spread out across the land. And he certianly wouldn't be SELLING it all if he regarded capitalism as evil too. He's mad as a lorry.

He's a convert, and it often tends to be the newly converted who are the most zealous. However, I think it's true that his claims say more about him than they do about either Christianity or Doctor Who. Basically it's trying to edit out a part of his life that has painful associations for him by the sound of it.
    Last edited by Logo Polish; 25th Mar 2008 at 5:00 PM.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Logo Polish View Post
    Seems like he's swapped one obsession for another.
    I think you hit the nail right on the head there. HE BUILT HIS OWN TARDIS.

That takes a hell of a lot of obsession. You put together the other things a full sized Dalek and Cyberman.

The fact is if you're THAT obsessed, you only have room for one obsession in your life. He's turned to Christianity with the same zeal.

I think he has let his interest in Doctor Who go too far - it's something I always feared my own fandom would do. I think he's taking a brave step giving it all up, and I think he needs to, but I really don't agree with his reasons, and alas I don't feel his Christian-conversion will bring him all the peace of mind he hopes. Life is way to complicated for simple solutions.

Captain Tancredi Guest

It sounds to me as if he hasn't kicked the bipolar disorder quite as much as he thought if he sees the current stage of his life as involving a dramatic rejection of everything that went before.

Pip Madeley Guest

Born Again Christian Spurns Doctor Who

A West Country born-again Christian is selling his collection of £7,000 worth of Doctor Who memorabilia because Doctor Who is evil
    His evil is my good. I am Pip the Athiest. Where I tread I leave nothing but footsteps.

His evil is my good. I am Pip the Athiest. Where I tread I leave nothing but footsteps.
    And empty bowls of chips.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Now that Simon White, 47, of Trowbridge, has found God, he is casting aside his Who collection because it represents the "greatest lie Satan ever told"
    oh well yet another bible bashing religious crack pot sprouting his drival ..

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rob McCow View Post
    And empty bowls of chips.
    The time of the Potatosirans is long past.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    I think you hit the nail right on the head there. HE BUILT HIS OWN TARDIS.

Does that mean I'm mad too?

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post

Does that mean I'm mad too?
    Did I say mad? Nope.

Did I say obsessed? Yup.

I think you'll agree when you get something like that, you're going one further than the guy who spent £20 on a talking Dalek to put at the top of his wardrobe.

I do sympathise though - out of obsession I built the base for my own bed. Partly to see if I could do it. Partly to have sex without it squeaking.

Likewise I also one evening saw some loose wood in the shed, and built a full sized shield. Why? I haven't a bleedin clue, it was a "making a Devils Tower out of mashed potato" moment of madness.

Here's the original article.

http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news...le_on_ebay.php

I'd be interested to know why he's renouncing materialism yet is selling the goods. What will happen to the money? A cynical bit of me might think that its given his sale a bit of good publicity and upped his profit.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    I'd be interested to know why he's renouncing materialism yet is selling the goods.
    Yes, but now he's got to collect the Bible in every major translation; King James Version, Good News, New International Version ...

He's also busy creating a life-sized crucifix in his living room, needs space for his Holy Grail replica collectables, and is building a life-sized nativity scene in his garden.

But Christianity cured him of his obsessive behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Monk View Post
    Here's the original article.

http://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news...le_on_ebay.php

I'd be interested to know why he's renouncing materialism yet is selling the goods. What will happen to the money? A cynical bit of me might think that its given his sale a bit of good publicity and upped his profit.
    Ah, now this is interesting. Here's the man in question's reaction to the article on the comments on the same page:

Firstly I would like to thank Benjamin Parkes, and the Wiltshire Times for a tremendous article with pictures, and their support in helping me sell my collection. I do not remember using the word "evil" and never said Dr Who was evil. My obsession with it was very unhealthy and I loved Dr Who more than I loved God. The reverse is now true. The things I loved did not make me happy, only God has done that. Have a look at the 10 commandments. Dr Who had become my idol and it did not keep me going, it failed me, it's only a TV programme after all. Alcoholics Anonymous in partnership with God, and me helping myself delivered me from alcoholism. Now it is time to get rid of the reminders of the mistakes of my past life, and I'm hoping to raise money to pay for training to study theology, provided I am well enough in the future. I wonder if it is an assumption that if a Christian sells something they must donate all the proceeds to charity, I think it's a private matter how one then plans to benfit others, though at times of course there are benefits of doing something public to set an example. I had no idea the paper was going to make such a big story out of it!
    It's the opening bit I'm interested in. Sounds as though the "evil" bit might have been journalistic spin. Would appear to be as we were speculating, more or less. Obsession of any kind is unhealthy by its very nature, whatever the object. Good luck to him anyway.

I quite liked the reply from the guy that thinks he's Harry Hill.

God, Dr Who, God Dr Who Which one's best, Theres only one way to find out...

FIGHT!
    I’m being extremely clever up here and there’s no one to stand around looking impressed! What’s the point in having you all?

Good ol' newspapers - written by 12 year olds, full of pernicious, mindless lies.