Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    Wayne Guest

I'd forgotten this was a Robert Holmes story! I'd never've believed it if it wasn't true!
    Btw, i watched 6 eps of 'The War Games' last night, & as i was up early for a bloke to fix my radiator at 8.30 this morning, i've just finished watching the last 4 eps.
    So i'll be finishing off this thread, shortly.

Wayne Guest

The War Games

I've only watched this twice before, & both times have found it a bit of a chore despite containing some really good elements, especially in the latter eps. But i've not seen it for well over 10yrs, so i've been quite looking forward to giving it a long overdue appraisal.
    No problems with Episode 1, i rather enjoyed it. The WW1 setting is very convicing & the supporting characters are all well played. Especially Noel Coleman as General Smythe who stands out particularly well, as it becomes apparent that he's not all that he seems, including having some sort of hypnotic ability over his men. Clearly, there's something more going on here, as the Doctor is already beginning to suspect. The Doctor's outrage & protestations against the Tardis crew's 'court martial' are also good 2nd Doctor moments, played well by Troughton. A good opener with plenty of atmosphere, & a strong feel of intrigue!
    Episode 2 is also quite effective. There's more Troughton entertainment when the Doctor is posing as a War Office official, & it's now becoming more obvious that events are manipulated from behind the scenes somehow. Not only does a redcoat from Jamie's time get imprisoned with him, but we also see General Smythe using what seems to be a Tardis like device. Then later the Doctor manages to convince Carstairs & Lady Jennifer that there's something wrong, after they see the scanner in Smythe's office, & there's no doubt at all when they appear to drive into a different time zone altogether, at the cliffhanger. All in all, a pretty good ep!
    In Episode 3 the time travellers are aprehended by the Germans, & we see that there's a german counterpart for General Smythe called Von Weich, with a similar hypnotic devic. We also finally see 'behind the scenes' in this episode when the 2 officers travel to a futuristic control room governed by the War Chief, & in the meantime Doctor & co make their escape, & travel through more hazardous time zones, until the Doctor & Zoe are separated from Jamie & Jennifer after investogating a type of Tardis which appears. Not a bad ep. It's starting to feel like a little bit of a runaround, but still quite watchable.
    It's in Episode 4 that things start to flag a little bit for me. More so the rather dull scenes from the American civil war time zone, where Jamie & Jennifer are trapped. Meanwhile, the Doctor & Zoe are in the war games complex, where the captured Carstairs is re-processed, & the Doctor rather cleverly manages to find out that the machine is capable of deprocessing people. A somewhat slower episode, but still reasonable.
    Episode 5 has is actually slightly better, i think. We meet another key member of the war games 'organizers', in the Security Chief, who interogates the captured Zoe. He's rather theatrically played in quite entertaining fashion by James Bree. I rather enjoyed his little spat with the War Chief. Meanwhile, Jamie & the rebel resistance group capture Von Weich & are themselves ambushed when they attempt to attack the war games complex. Not too bad an ep, this one.
    In Episode 6, Jamie is interrogated by the Security Chief, but is later rescused by the Doctor, who also sets the resistance fighters free. Meanwhile, the Security chief continues to suspect duplicity on the part of the War Chief, of whom it's established is from a different race, & David Troughton crops up in the American civil war time zone, & eventually kills Von Weich who almost affects an escape for himself. Another fairly good ep then.
    Episode 7 starts well. There's now open confrontation between the War Chief & the Security Chief, & the appearance of Philip Madoc as the War Lord fuels the tension at the war games complex even further. Madoc does a great job of this character, giving the Warlord an air of having an icy, dangerous confidence, with an edge of the suave smug quality the Roger Delgado would later bring to The Master. Despite these plus points, the overall storyline is starting feel a bit padded by now, particularly in the latter half of this episode where things seem to get a bit ploddy. So, not a great ep, but not an especially bad one either.
    Things pick up a bit more once again in Episode 8. There's some good scenes where the Security Chief tries in vain to interrogate the Doctor, & then when the War Chief intervenes, he talks with the Doctor & tries to convince him that he has motives are ultimately for the cause of a greater peace. Meanwhile the resistance plotline continues to play out with various other characters from different time zones coming into play, & staging attacks in the different time zones, until they seemingly are betrayed by the Doctor, which makes for an interesting cliffhanger.
    It's all go in Episode 9 as the Doctor continues to feign his new allegiance in order to save the humans from the neutron bomb, & the Security Chief finally catches out the War Chief, after recording his conversation with the Doctor. Later, the resistance fighters, with the help of the War Chief, take over the resistance room, & the War Chief kills the Security Chief, before calling a halt to the war games. The War Chief tries to escape, but is intercepted by the War Lord, who has him killed. After the rebels capture the War Lord, the Doctor contacts the Time Lords, & tries to escape to the Tardis, but ultimately fails of course........ This was a pretty action packed episode which built to a great cliffhanger scene. Great stuff!
    The final episode is of course something of a landmark episode for Doctor Who mythos. The concept of the Time Lords was created, & we get to see the Doctor's own people & home planet for the first time. I can't but feel that this must've been very exciting at the time it was broadcast, especially for anyone who had watched the show since day one.
    It's a good episode as well. Philip Madoc portrays the arrogant defiance of the War Lord brilliantly. I've always had the highest regard for his acting abilities, & his performance as the War Lord is probably my favourite of his various guest appearances after Solon. Meanwhile, i'd quite forgotten just how powerful the Time Lords are represented here. They're a bit like god like Vulcans! They're calm & placid, but they have strong mental powers which they use to great effect to make the War Lord speak, & later to place a forcefield around him before they wipe him & his soldiers completely out of time. Blimey! I wouldn't wanna mess with these guys!
    The Doctor's speech in his defense is good Troughton stuff for his final appearance, & his goodbye's to Jamie & Zoe, especially Jamie, who's been with the 2nd Doctor almost from the start, is really quite an ahhhh moment. The Doctor's indignance over his sentence makes me smile. Very entertaining stuff from Troughton.
    Well, i must say that despite a little bit of sagging along the way, my overall perception of 'The War Games' has improved from this viewing. It does get a little slow/padded in parts, (mostly ep 4, & some of 7, IMO) But not as much as i'd remembered. Of course, not having seen it for so long, & the fact that it comes after 'The Space Pirates' probably helps, but i did enjoy it more than i expected.
    So that brings me to the end of the Troughton era. I'll make some overall comments to bookend the thread with my opening comments on my perception of the era, shortly. But first of all here's my rankings for Season 6, which for the most part, bar the obvious weak link, has gone up a somwhat in my estimation.

The Invasion
    Seeds of Death
    The Mind Robber
    The War Games
    The Dominators
    The Krotons

The Space Pirates

Wayne Guest

The First 'New' Doctor Who.

First of all, i'd like to thank everyone who's contributed to this thread, & just highlight some bits from my first post, to give some context to a few final thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post

My own history with the Troughton era begins as a 10yr old boy. In 1973, those of us not old enough to remember previous incarnations were introduced to them in 'The Three Doctors' <<<<

>>>> As regards 'The Three Doctors', my first impressions of Troughton were laid out in my review of the story on my Pertwee era thread:
    "I remember being most confused by Patrick Troughton. He interpretation of the Doctor was of course quite different to Jon's, & i found it very hard to take in, at the time. Because in some ways he plays it a bit 'Anti-Hero(ish) compared to Jon, i immediately thought of him as in some way inferior. He wanted to toss a coin because he didn't want to go into Omega's domain first, wheras my hero Jon, grabbed the coin in mid-air & goes in first, anyway. I didn't like the recorder playing business, & generally thought he was a bit silly. In short, i was not that impressed by my first encounter with the 2nd Doctor!" <<<<

>>>> I got my first viewing of a 'proper' Troughton story when the BBC Videos started coming out. I can't remember what year 'Seeds of Death' came out, but that was the first one, & whilst i enjoyed it, i still felt some reservations towards Troughton's slightly whimsical/comedic content. I did buy the rest of his era that was available on video, but whilst i didn't actively dislike his portrayal; he remained my least favourite of what i then considered to be the 'classic' Doctors. (ie. the first 4) <<<<
    In terms of Pat Troughton's portrayal, i would say overall that he's gone up a several notches in my estimation, but i also have to say; Not significantly when the other Doctors come into play.
    As i alluded to on Page 1, i've been impressed by the various things i've seen Troughton in over the years. He's a great character actor, & in truth i can't really find too much to fault him on in his portrayal of the Doctor.
    Certainly, the whimsical/comedic content isn't actually quite as pronounced as i'd previously perceived. I think it's very much been a case of 'first impressions' lasting. Some early impressions from my first real viewings of Troughton in early video releases like 'Seeds of Death' & others have perhaps lingered at the forefront of my mind. But in actual fact, Troughton has a lot of solid, serious content throughout his portrayal, & perhaps especially so in his first season.
    I think for me with Troughton, it's a bit like how Mr.Curnow feels about Jon Pertwee's Doctor. For me, it's not so much that Troughton gives a poor portrayal at all, It's just that there are elements of most (but not all) of the other Doctor's that i prefer. Obviously, Jon & most of Tom are my personal eras. They've always been my favourites, & it's highly unlikely that that will ever change, But Hartnell is a fair comparison in the sense that i've had a similar exposure to Hartnell, as i have to Troughton, ie: First seeing him in the 'The Three Doctors', & aside from a few early Target books, i've mostly discovered his era as an adult when BBC vids started coming out.
    Yet i very quickly developed a great affection Hartnell's Doctor, that never quite happened with Troughton's Doc. Even after this thread i find Hartnell's portrayal much more charismatic & than Troughton's. He just has a certain magic. It's a 'Je ne sais quois' thing really, because as i say, it's not really down to any fault on Troughton's part. Aside from the odd bit of whimsey, the only other thing i could perhaps say is that occasionally he's come over a little bit bland, & doesn't always stand out for me like many of the other Doctors do.
    Take Peter Davison for instance: Many times i've seen him described as 'bland' by a lot of fans, & yet for me, i've grown to like Davison's portrayal a helluva lot more than my early impressions of the 5th Doctor. He's pretty high on my favourites list now, whereas once he was near the bottom. To me, he brings loads of energy & zest to the role; Something else which i feel Troughton doesn't acheive so well, for me personally. So i can only repeat that whilst i've come to appreciate Troughton's Doctor a bit more than i used to do, & have for the most part, found many things to enjoy in his portrayal; He's still outshone for me by the energy & charisma of several of the other doctors.
    As for the stories, it's been a difficult era to rate fairly because of the sheer amount of missing stories. For me, with the best will in the world of wanting to judge each story on it's individual artistic merits, This factor does impact to some extent on the overall enjoyability of the stories, & has had some effect on my overall rankings. And yet i don't feel that i struggled so much on the audio stuff when i did my Hartnell era thread, & that's not just because i prefer Hartnell's Doctor, but also because i feel that the stories (most of the historicals aside) were more compelling for the most part. All things considered, i do guenuinely feel that the Hartnell era is a bit better overall than Troughton's. But i accept that obviously preference plays a large part in that.
    Anyway, back to the Troughton era: Stories like 'The Moonbase' & 'The Ice Warriors' which have the advantage of at least half or more of the original episodes still in existence, were much easier to place accurately with the complete stories, & i found them an enjoyable experience. Many of the others which were completely missing or only had one original episode were harder going; So in that context, 'Power of the Daleks', easily the highest completely missing story in my overall rankings, is not to be underestimated.
    So, thanks again to you all for taking part, (especially Logo for his fine in-depth reviews) & here are those final rankings of mine, for the complete Troughton era. I'd say that the first 9 stories of these rankings represent the best that the Troughton era has to offer, & i'd give them scores ranging from 8/10 to 10/10. The next 9 i'd say were fair to good, & i'd give them scores ranging from 6/10 to 7.5/10. This leaves only 3 stories that i would score with a 5/10 or under. 'Wheel' might just scrape a 5/10 on a good day, but the remaining 2 would certainly be well under. Very much so! These may not reflect how i've rated them on MacNimon's 'Into the Vortex' thread, but that's the nature of re-appraisal for you.

Tomb of the Cybermen
    The Moonbase
    Power of the Daleks
    The Invasion
    Seeds of Death
    The Mind Robber
    The War Games
    Evil of the Daleks
    The Ice Warriors
    Enemy of the World
    The Abominable Snowmen
    The Dominators
    Web of Fear
    The Krotons
    Fury From the Deep
    The Faceless Ones
    The Macra Terror
    The Underwater Menace
    Wheel In Space
    The Space Pirates
    The Highlanders
    Last edited by Wayne; 8th Feb 2007 at 12:32 PM.

I'm seven episodes into The War Games at the moment. I've been really enjoying it over the past few days, and like Wayne I find the Civil War episodes to be the weakest. Yes, it's a bit padded by this point, but it's the fake American accents which annoy me the most! Even so, the episodes themselves aren't at all dull, at no time have I had the inclination to switch off or go do something different. I'm looking forward to episodes 8-10 later today and tomorrow.

Wayne, I think I can speak for all of us who've followed all your re-evaluation threads and say a big thank you to you, for a) undergoing such a big task and b) keeping an open mind about what you're watching. While it's clear that we like very different things from our Doctor Who (Very few like what I like!) I've really enjoyed finding out what you think about all the stories along the way. That you've found a love for some things you never thought you would is just one of the great things to come out of this.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    Wayne, I think I can speak for all of us who've followed all your re-evaluation threads and say a big thank you to you, for a) undergoing such a big task and b) keeping an open mind about what you're watching. While it's clear that we like very different things from our Doctor Who (Very few like what I like!) I've really enjoyed finding out what you think about all the stories along the way. That you've found a love for some things you never thought you would is just one of the great things to come out of this.

Si xx
    Aww thanks for that, Si!
    It does make it feel more 'worthwhile' knowing that people have taken an interest in reading.
    It's hard to believe that i started my first one, the Davison era, in July 2003! (I just checked on the old forum!) Of course that immediately led on to me doing the rest of the 80's, which in those days was my neglected era, & although i've revisted quite a lot of favourites that came out of those threads, there are still many of the 80's stories, i've still only seen that once, And now it feels so long ago that i almost feel i should re-visit the 80's again!
    Last edited by Wayne; 8th Feb 2007 at 12:48 PM.

I've got to applaud you, Wayne, for how you managed to keep going through each era from start to finish. The only time I attempted it (except for the original broadcasts!) was when I tried (and failed miserably) to keep up with you in the Hartnell thread. I'm OK at this sort of stuff if I'm enjoying what I'm watching, but once I hit a story I don't enjoy then my enthusiasm (and good intentions) disappears. I wish I had your willpower...I'd love to be able to say that I've watched/listened to the entire series in order, but I suppose that's never to be. Foe example, I'm currently in the midst of enjoying a run of early Pertwees and Troughtons, but not in order. I'm really enjoying that era at the moment, but I'm enjoying watching the stories in a random order...first it was the Power/Evil recons, followed by Inferno, The Mind Of Evil, The War Games...and I've got the Fury recon lined up along with The Krotons and The Ice Warriors for viewing over the next few weeks...in whatever order takes my fancy. It's been years since I watched any of these, and I'm really enjoying them...but I just couldn't do what you've done. So once again, thanks for a great thread and well done for what must have seemed like a thankless task at times!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MacNimon View Post
    I've got to applaud you, Wayne, for how you managed to keep going through each era from start to finish. The only time I attempted it (except for the original broadcasts!) was when I tried (and failed miserably) to keep up with you in the Hartnell thread. I'm OK at this sort of stuff if I'm enjoying what I'm watching, but once I hit a story I don't enjoy then my enthusiasm (and good intentions) disappears. I wish I had your willpower...I'd love to be able to say that I've watched/listened to the entire series in order, but I suppose that's never to be. Foe example, I'm currently in the midst of enjoying a run of early Pertwees and Troughtons, but not in order. I'm really enjoying that era at the moment, but I'm enjoying watching the stories in a random order...first it was the Power/Evil recons, followed by Inferno, The Mind Of Evil, The War Games...and I've got the Fury recon lined up along with The Krotons and The Ice Warriors for viewing over the next few weeks...in whatever order takes my fancy. It's been years since I watched any of these, and I'm really enjoying them...but I just couldn't do what you've done. So once again, thanks for a great thread and well done for what must have seemed like a thankless task at times!
    Thanks Mac.
    One thing worth bearing in mind though, is that i've probably got a lot more time to get through things than most people, because i'm generally at home all day, so i don't expect many people to keep up with my pace.
    And strictly speaking, i've never watched the whole series in order. It all started out with the 80's, most of which i'd never seen, & i felt like i was missing out on being able to give a proper view of the vast majority of them in discussion threads.
    The only 80's stories i had when i first joined PS in 2002 were the Dalek stories. (No surprise there then) I'd seen some early McCoy stuff back when it was first broadcast, & a few bits & pieces since i stopped regular viewing after Season 15 aired, but it was all too long ago to make a fair assessment.
    Although, technically the 80's started with Tom, i kicked off with the Davison era, & followed straight through to Colin & Sylv. I was surprised about how much i enjoyed, & although not everything proved to be to my taste, it was good to get a working knowledge of everything so that at least i could have an informed opinion. As i said on page 1 of this thread, i did eventually cover Tom along with the other Doctors, but this thread has been a long time coming for various reasons. It's 18 months since i did that Hartnell thread!
    Last edited by Wayne; 8th Feb 2007 at 3:00 PM.

So once again, thanks for a great thread and well done for what must have seemed like a thankless task at times!
    Especially The Space Pirates! The B&W era of the programme is my favourite, and the Troughton era - possibly because of its not being very well (or indeed adequately) represented in the Archives - tends to be overlooked rather often. It's good to see that there's been a couple of threads on PS recently that's been reviewing the period.

Now then...

The Seeds Of Death

More nostalgia, as this was my first video. When it was released, it was good in a way that it was in film rather than episodic format; partly because of my not having the patience to sit through all the credits at age 17, and mostly because I didn't have to put up with the editing of the last cliffhanger.

It's nice to have the extra layer of Ice Warrior society, even if the same actor played it in the same way again subsequently. A shame that the Warriors themselves are pushed into the background. The human characters are largely cliched, but still enjoyable. (Is it me, or does Fewsham look like Dobby from Harry Potter?)

The overall theme of putting your eggs into one technological basket, or at least the side issue of moonbases is becoming topical again with the US wanting to return to the Moon, as are teleportation seeming to be a fact now, albeit on an atomic scale, worldwide distribution and transport in general. Perhaps this is one of the most science fictiony stories that the series has done given its prescience.

The Space Pirates

There's not much i can say about this one that Wayne and Logo haven't said already. Actually there's not much to be said for it at all.

There's a lot of cliched characters, but unlike Seeds, they're more hackneyed than a carriage in a Sherlock Holmes story. Clancey is fun to begin with but he's starting to grate by the end of the third episode, and very quickly sounds like a second-rate impersonator sending up James Stewart. There's a cardinal sin that appears in the story as well. Leaving the Doctor out for most or all of one eipsode worked in Mission To The Unknown and Love & Monsters, but over a period of six weeks...? No it's not a good idea to leave the main characters out for too long.

And nothing much seems to be happening - another cardinal sin; wherever the Doctor and co. have gone, they've taken the plot with them. That Dom Issigri is still alive is a surprise, but as there's not much happening other than the dreadful, shrill singing and lots of flying through space, it's a good job that he is. Mind you, talking of men called Holmes, you'd be mistaken for thinking that Robert might not be asked back. Just as well he was a couple of stories later, as that's when he started getting into his stride. But that's another story, and so is The War Games, which I'll come back to if noone minds...

I must say that I've enjoyed this thread, even though I haven't added many personal comments. I would have liked to have listened/watched the episodes but I just haven't found the time over the last few months.
    It's interesting to see how many members of PS have joined along in watching the episodes, their comments often praising the Troughton era, and incidentally it's good to see how popular a Doctor he has become here on PS.
    Wouldn't you agree that Doctor Who as a series grew up during the Troughton era, the series, although still aimed at children, began to take a broader outlook with its stories and monsters hiding in the underground, creating some frightening and iconic images throughout the latter part of the sixties. I think it's also safe to say that after The War Games, amid threats of cancellation, and a rethink of the series direction for the future, its relauch in colour in 1970 proved that it's audience had grown up and Doctor Who was no longer a children's programme.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Wallis View Post
    But that's another story, and so is The War Games, which I'll come back to if noone minds...
    Oh, not at all! I've enjoyed reading all your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Morgan View Post
    Wouldn't you agree that Doctor Who as a series grew up during the Troughton era, the series, although still aimed at children, began to take a broader outlook with its stories and monsters hiding in the underground, creating some frightening and iconic images throughout the latter part of the sixties. I think it's also safe to say that after The War Games, amid threats of cancellation, and a rethink of the series direction for the future, its relauch in colour in 1970 proved that it's audience had grown up and Doctor Who was no longer a children's programme.
    Fair observations, i think. I've read that the programme wasn't doing so well ratings wise n' everything, in the late 60's, & certainly the move to colour & the more adult feel of Season 7 must've changed people's outlook of the show to some extent? Even if it did start to get a bit more cosy & warm throughout Season 8.

...I've read that the programme wasn't doing so well ratings wise n' everything, in the late 60's, & certainly the move to colour & the more adult feel of Season 7 must've changed people's outlook of the show to some extent? Even if it did start to get a bit more cosy & warm throughout Season 8.

I'm not sure about the ratings bit, but Troughton's final series was a little under par when compared to his previous outings, and his decision to leave did leave a question mark over the series future. However, and we've discussed this before in your "Tall Lighbulb" thread on old PS, the "Gritty realism" of season 7 would have changed a lot of peoples perception of the series, and as for being "cosy and warm" throughout season 8, isn't that what we love about the Pertwee era?

Wayne Guest

"cosy and warm" throughout season 8, isn't that what we love about the Pertwee era?
    Oh yes.

Where's Ralph?
    Last edited by Wayne; 8th Feb 2007 at 4:30 PM.

D'you know, somehow I knew one of those Katy pics would have to turn up.

Wayne Guest

D'you know, somehow I knew one of those Katy pics would have to turn up.
    Well, she's a bit more 'cosy & warm' than Liz Shaw.

Yeah, know what you mean there, no disrespect to Caroline John, but I always found Liz to be a bit icy.

I haven't been able to contribute much due to a) having been making my slow way through the Troughton era and seeing Wayne leave me in the distance yonks ago and b) not having the time to post much anwyay of late, plus some duplication with MacNimon's project.

However, I do heartily agree with what Si wrote earlier - it's great to get Wayne's perspective on it, and as I've confirmed to myself in the last 12 months, it really is rewarding to view/listen to the show in order - it forces you to re-evaluate lesser loved stories, rather than just skip them to get to what you know you like already (harrumph, harrumph you know who you are!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post

However, I do heartily agree with what Si wrote earlier - it's great to get Wayne's perspective on it, and as I've confirmed to myself in the last 12 months, it really is rewarding to view/listen to the show in order - it forces you to re-evaluate lesser loved stories, rather than just skip them to get to what you know you like already (harrumph, harrumph you know who you are!!)

You couldn't be talking about anyone round here surely, Jonno....

But seriously, that was my thought entirely a year or two back when Wayne started on his Hartnell thread. And for most of that first season in particular, it was really no problem for me. It was a joy watching that original Tardis crew getting to know each other, growing as the series went on. I only wish I could have the willpower to see it through....I stalled a bit at The Sensorites, then rallied but finally ground to a halt at The Web Planet. I just disliked that story so much last time (15 years or so ago!) that I couldn't bring myself to watch it again...that's when my good intentions really went off the rails. I've since watched most of the other existing Hartnells again, and am currently watching Troughton's stuff. I think my big problem wasn't so much the occasional bad story, as the combination of this and the fast approaching missing episodes, which tended to put me off a bit. What I am considering doing though, is that once I'm fished with these Season 5-7 stories (albeit out of order) I'll try to get back on track a bit and watch from Season 8 onwards in broadcast order. Whether I go through with that plan only time will tell...

And strictly speaking, i've never watched the whole series in order.
    Why not make that your next big project then, Wayne? Although I don't think you'll be in a great hurry to watch the Troughton era again in a hurry!

To be honest, despite what you posted recently on this thread Mac, it wasn't you I was thinking of with my cheeky comment! I'm saying no more though...

Yikes this thread has fairly moved on!

I'm afraid i've not got round to this yet.

I really think its only fair to review stories once i have rewatch/listened to them. So i have written reviews for the troughton stories i have done so far (out of sequence) so once i get my copy of 'power of the daleks' back from my nephew i can start posting them!

(This week i've done season 5, i'm currently half way through 'Fury from the deep' )

Wayne Guest

Go for it.
    Just because i've finished, doesn't mean we can't still discuss any story or aspect of this thread. I'm still looking forward to seeing Logo & Stuart's 'War Games' reviews as well.

Go for it.
    Just because i've finished, doesn't mean we can't still discuss any story or aspect of this thread. I'm still looking forward to seeing Logo & Stuart's 'War Games' reviews as well.
    Thats great to hear because I know I was looking forward to this thread and haven't kept up or commented at all hardly. I would like to chip in thoughts as I get round to the stories again and compare notes. Oh and nice pic of Katy

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I would like to chip in thoughts as I get round to the stories again and compare notes.
    Cool. I know you've been struggling with 'Web of Fear', but i'd still like to hear what you think of it.

And referring to my 'sum up' post of the era, I'm also curious to hear how people feel about Troughton's Doctor overall, in relation to the other Doctor's etc...

Go for it.
    I'd like to cover the era in order though-because i think there is a very interesting progression through the various story styles that i will touch on!

I've got a window on monday so i'll write up 'power' then and start posting season 4.

Wayne Guest

You'll have to look on the back pages if you want to compare notes with anyone else, but yes, In order is best.