Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Torchwood on Radio 4 this summer!

From Digital Spy :

A one-off special of Torchwood is being made to air on BBC Radio 4 in the summer.

The 45-minute show is written by Joseph Lidster, who penned a recent television episode and is behind much of the BBC's online Doctor Who content.

Stars including John Barrowman will feature and the Torchwood team will produce along with BBC Wales's Kate McAll.

Airing as Radio 4's Afternoon Play, it has been planned to coincide with the opening of the world's biggest particle accelerator in Switzerland.

Lidster is working the story around a particle accelerator, according to Broadcast.

Pip Madeley Guest

Joe's a dark horse!

Oh my! That should be good!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

I look forward to it. Should be interesting.

Pip Madeley Guest

Mr Lidster's play has been scheduled:

BBC Radio 4 has scheduled the Torchwood radio episode Lost Souls for Wednesday 10 September at 2:15PM BST. This 45-minute radio episode features the cast of Torchwood shortly after the events of the Series 2 finale "Exit Wounds".

Lost Souls will air as part of the day-long coverage of CERN's (European Organization for Nuclear Research) experiment re-creating the aftermath of the Big Bang.

Written by Joseph Lidster, it stars John Barrowman, Freema Agyeman, Eve Myles, Gareth David-Lloyd, Lucy Montgomery (of Tittybangbang) and Stephen Critchlow.

I'm really looking forward to this.

Pip Madeley Guest

Mr Lidster's cover:

Must be exciting to have an official product with your name on!

Pip Madeley Guest

Don't forget everyone, it's on tomorrow, BBC Radio 4 at 2.15pm!

Looks like loads of folk were listening.

Well, a weekday afternoon slot is hardly conducive to a large portion of the population being able to listen! Obviously, we are able to listen online at anytime for the next week, so the question is - is it worth a listen?

Yes and no.Its not groundbreakin in any way,set before The Stolen Earth but after series 2,the performances are good enough and the story enjoyable to carry it through however

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Joe Lidster should be commended for managing to get so much info about CERN into a 45 minute story without ruining a great Tale! Kudos Joe!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

On a book website I came across mention of three new audiobooks, intriugingly titled Radio 4 Drama 2009/1, 2 and 3 -due out in June, and which Amazon describes as 'full cast BBC radio 4 drama'.

Anyone know any more than that ?
    Bazinga !

Pip Madeley Guest

I suspect Joe does but he probably won't be able to say anything

Pip Madeley Guest

Here's your answer, Jon:

Following the huge success of Torchwood: Lost Souls, which was broadcast as part of Radio 4's Big Bang season last year, the Torchwood cast are set to return to the airwaves in three brand new Torchwood radio plays. Three 45 minute episodes will air in Radio 4's Afternoon Play slot at 2.15pm. The three new radio plays bridge the gap between Torchwood: Lost Souls and the upcoming Torchwood: Children of Earth television series.

The episodes feature Captain Jack (John Barrowman), Gwen (Eve Myles) and Ianto (Gareth David-Lloyd) and have been recorded over the last two weeks. The episodes will be broadcast in advance of Torchwood: Children of Earth and will be available in the UK on BBC iPlayer and as a download for 7 days after broadcast.

Asylum by Anita Sullivan
    The story of a teen runaway called Freda who is brought to the attention of Torchwood by PC Andy. As Gwen, Jack and Ianto investigate where this troubled girl has come from, Andy finds himself drawn closer than ever before into the world of Torchwood.

Golden Age by James Goss
    Torchwood go to India to investigate the disappearance of hundreds of people. The trail leads them to an old colonial club which seems strangely stuck in the past as does its young and beautiful owner, the Duchess.

The Dead Line by Phil Ford
    A series of mysterious phone calls lead Jack into danger, and result in 'a very emotional moment for Ianto'.

BBC Radio 4 is available in the UK on 92-96FM, on digital or online at bbc.co.uk/radio4

Cheers Pip - I thought Lost Souls was pretty good (kudos to Mr Lidster), so I'm looking forward to these.
    Bazinga !

More details:

Outside the Government. Beyond the police. Fighting for the future on behalf of the Human Race. The 21st Century’s when everything changes. And Torchwood is ready.

Torchwood, the series created by Russell T Davies, is returning to BBC Radio 4 with three brand new extraterrestrial investigations, starring John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness, Eve Myles as Gwen Cooper, and Gareth David-Lloyd as Ianto Jones.

Episode one, Torchwood: Asylum written by Anita Sullivan. When PC Andy arrests a teenager for shoplifting, he thinks it’s going to be a routine case. Then he sees the weapon she’s carrying and decides to call in Torchwood. Under questioning from Gwen, the girl remembers her name but little else, and when she speaks, it is in a strange mix of English and Scandinavian, but with a Cardiff accent. Then the girl’s blood tests come through and the team is faced with a dilemma.

Episode two, Golden Age written by James Goss. On the trail of a dangerous energy field, Torchwood are led to Delhi. As the energy field grows once more, they witness the simultaneous disappearance of hundreds of people. Jack discovers that the field centres on an old colonial mansion – Torchwood India. Shocked to find that Torchwood India is still going strong – he shut it down himself over 80-years ago – he’s even more surprised to find that its members, including his old flame the Duchess, haven’t aged a day.

The final episode, The Dead Line written by Phil Ford. When a Cardiff Hospital is inundated with patients who have fallen into coma like trances, Torchwood move in to investigate. The trances appear to have been triggered by phone calls, all received on retro phones and made from a number that hasn't been active for over 30-years. Determined to find out who's been calling the unfortunate victims, Jack rings the mysterious number – two, oh, five, nine – nothing. It's a dead line. Until, it calls Jack back...
    Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Strangely enough, they sound as if they might be quite good. Except the Delhi one.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Pip Madeley Guest

Transmission dates:

BBC RADIO 4 Wednesday 1 July 2009
    Afternoon Play – Torchwood: Asylum Ep 1/3
    2.15-3.00pm BBC RADIO 4

BBC RADIO 4 Thursday 2 July 2009
    Afternoon Play – Torchwood: Golden Age Ep 2/3
    2.15-3.00pm BBC RADIO 4

BBC RADIO 4 Friday 3 July 2009
    Afternoon Play – Torchwood: The Dead Line Ep 3/3
    2.15-3.00pm BBC RADIO 4

Nice little feature in the RT this week about these - and the promise of a big feature for the following week on TW: CoE
    Bazinga !

The first of the three Torchwood plays was on Radio 4 yesterday and I thought it was ok, it was well written and the acking was what you would expect. It is now available for download for the next 6 days at the link below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features...wood/download/
    I hope what I just wrote made sense, it did when I was thinking it.

I thought it wasn't bad, but it seemed to fizzle out towards the end - don't know if the three stories are supposed to be interlinked in any way, but would be nice if some of the unanswered questions got resolved.
    Bazinga !

I enjoyed them all Asylum had plenty of PC Andy,The Golden Age made a refreshing change because of the Delhi setting,but The Dead Line was fantastic due largely to the performances theres a very effective scene with Ianto at Jack's bedside

Three new Torchwood plays on Radio 4 next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday

(all pre-Children of Earth so Ianto is in them )
    Bazinga !

Default The Devil and Miss Carew

Listened to the first Radio 4 Torchwood play. It had a very "Sapphire & Steel" feel to it - especially the first half. The topic of ageing and nursing homes is very topical at the moment! Being a South Walian living outside the Principality (i.e. England!) I get very homesick when I listen to Gwen, Rhys & Ianto talking Martin Jarvis' performance was suitably chilling.

Thought John Barrowman's performance was a bit stilted in parts, but apart from that it was a great start to Torchwood FM for the next 3 days