1 5.88%
  • Gunfighters

5 29.41%
  • Greatest Show in the Galaxy

3 17.65%
  • Deadly Assassin

3 17.65%

Default Target Cover Competition - Group 24

This was a tough choice. None of the covers are excellent by any stretch of the imagination, but they are all pretty good.

Terror of the Autons is a simple but effective image and the Nestene looks far better than it did in reality. It's a shame the Autons themselves don't appear on the cover, but it's good all the same.

Sunmakers is colourful if a little dull, but is certainly a well drawn cover, and I like the neat touch of having the suns going through the titles.

I like the Gunfighters cover. It effectively covers the basis of the story with a good likeness of the Doctor on it.

Greatest Show in the Galaxy's cover makes it look like an interesting story...so a lie really, and the Gods of Ragnarok look very good. I like the slightly swirled look of McCoy on the cover too.

Deadly Assassin features all the main elements of the story but has two distinct drawbacks to it. The first and more minor one is the fact that the two Time Lords look a little too cartoony. The more major problem is that the Master appears to be adorning the Doctor's head like a hat.

Good covers generally and only one vote. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm giving a positive vote for Greatest Show in the Galaxy.

Greatest Show for me please, because it's a great and and very atmospheric cover.

Terror of the Autons is ok, but a bit weird, The Sun Makers is a fine painting but very dull, The Gunfighters is nice and The Deadly Assassin is good with the blood dripping from the Master's cloak but where's Tom's hair?

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

the Deadly Assassin is good with the blood dripping from the Master's cloak but where's Tom's hair?
    As I said, it's under the Master hat.

Pip Madeley Guest

Greatest Show is awful, particularly the expression on McCoy's face.

I went for The Sunmakers.

This was a tough choice. None of the covers are excellent by any stretch of the imagination, but they are all pretty good.
    I agree fully with Paul's summing up, and by the looks of the early voting it could be a closely fought group. I almost went for Greatest Show, but got swayed by the cracking Hartnell likeness on The Gunfighters.

Terror Of The Autons. Best monster to grace the cover of a novelisation, even if it didn't appear in the series as such.

Pip's right about Sylvester on GSITG - the artist must've been told that Johnny Ball played the Doctor...

See Paul's post. I've always liked that GSitG cover.

Wayne Guest

They're all a bit Division 2, but i think 'The Deadly Assassin' is the best one.

They're all pretty good, but the iconic 'Terror' wins hands down for me - scary, realistic and atmospehric (even if takes a few liberties), it's one of my favourite covers.

I went for The Gunfighters, it is a great novelisation, and the cover is nearly faultless! ;-)
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

The Gunfighters for me to..

Terror of the Autons, although the black background it looks like the little Nestene is trapped in a cave and has lit a candle to see better...

The Terror of the Autons cover is probably the scariest thing ever put out with the Doctor Who logo. No wonder I was disappointed when I got to see the story!!

Aw, I like 'em all, although McCoy's face takes up too much space on the cover of Greatest Show. The Sunmakers is nicely-painted, if a little dull (I like the heavy red/oranges though) and The Deadly Assassin is hugely nostalgic for me (at the time I got it, it completed my collection of Targets to that point). However, I'm voting for the cover to The Gunfighters mainly, if I'm honest, because it has the 'Hartnell in a hat' factor.