Pip Madeley Guest

Default The New Series Questionnaire

It's been a while since we've had one of these...

1. Christopher Eccleston or David Tennant - who's your Doctor? And why?

2. Who's your favourite Tyler? (choose from Rose, Jackie, Pete & Mickey - he's practically one of the family)

3. Who's your favourite Jones? (choose from Martha, Francine, Clive, Tish & Leo)

4. Name (in order of favourite) your three favourite monsters/villains, with reasons.

5. Derek Jacobi or John Simm - who's your Master? And why?

6. Who's your favourite New Series writer? And why?

7. Who's your least favourite New Series writer? And why?

9. Name your three favourite episodes (in order) from series one, with reasons.

10. Name your three favourite episodes (in order) from series two, with reasons.

11. Name your three favourite episodes (in order) from series three, with reasons.

12. What's your favourite Christmas special?

13. Name three of your least favourite New Series episodes, with reasons.

14. Name three random things you want from future episodes of Who.

15. What's your favourite item of New Series merchandise, and why?

16. Vanilla DVDs or the big box sets?

17. Do you watch Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures?

18. Give us five random things you LIKE about the New Series.

19. Give us three random things you DISLIKE about the New Series.

20. Jackie Tyler or Francine Jones - who'd win in a mud-wrestling competition?

Pip Madeley Guest

Although Chris is an amazing actor & should rightly be credited for being the key to the success of Dr Who 2005, David is a brilliant Doctor and has given some extraordinary performances, giving the Doctor a new emotional lease of life that I never thought possible. Plus he looks so cool in that suit.

2. Who's your favourite Tyler? (choose from Rose, Jackie, Pete & Mickey - he's practically one of the family)

I'd have to say Mickey, Noel Clarke took the rather rubbish character in 'Rose' and made him into a thoroughly likeable guy. I'd have liked to have seen him in Torchwood.

3. Who's your favourite Jones? (choose from Martha, Francine, Clive, Tish & Leo)

Martha. I had my initial doubts about Freema, but she proved to be the best companion since Sarah Jane (in my honest opinion) with some superb performances in the latter half of series three.

4. Name (in order of favourite) your three favourite monsters/villains, with reasons.

1. The Master - so deliciously evil and funny!
    2. The Family of Blood - particularly Son of Mine, superb!
    3. The Daleks - particularly the one in "Dalek"

Derek Jacobi was great in those short minutes, but John Simm did a wonderful job playing the psychotic Time Lord with a twisted sense of humour. A real match for Tennant.

Paul Cornell - I was going to say Moffatt, but Cornell really knows how to do traditional Who for a New Series audience.

Matthew Graham - he might've been behind Life On Mars, but "Fear Her" was pretty poor.

1. The Parting Of The Ways - that night it was the most exciting Doctor Who I'd ever seen!
    2. Dalek - Chris Eccleston's finest 45 minutes?
    3. Father's Day - shocking, emotional, wonderful.

10. Name your three favourite episodes (in order) from series two, with reasons.

1. Doomsday - it made me cry, it was that good!
    2. The Girl In The Fireplace - the ending made my jaw drop in wonder
    3. The Impossible Planet - truly unnerving, dark stuff.

11. Name your three favourite episodes (in order) from series three, with reasons.

1. Utopia - the last 10 minutes are the best Doctor Who ever
    2. The Family of Blood - a strong conclusion...
    3. Human Nature - and a thirlling start to a memorable story

The Christmas Invasion - what a great Christmas Day it was!

1. Fear Her - the whole bit with Huw Edwards made me want to vomit
    2. 42 - Michelle Collins? Eek!
    3. The Long Game - some good bits, but paled in significance with the rest of the series

More TARDIS flying in space shots, the return of the Zygons, a closer look into the TARDIS (beyond the console room).

The Flight Control TARDIS. It's just a beautiful piece of workmanship. And the windows light up!

Vanillas, though I plan to buy the box sets when they fall to a daft price.

I watched all of The Sarah Jane Adventures, but I've only seen the first series of Torchwood, and the opener of this series. I'll get round to watch 2.2-2.13 sometime soon, as I don't want it to be spoilt for me now it's all over!

The redesign of the TARDIS console room
    The pre-titles sequences
    The joy of walking into a shop and seeing Doctor Who toys on the shelves
    Murray Gold's music (well, most of the time)
    The TARDIS motorway scene from The Runaway Bride - awesome!

The scary rise of Tennant fan girls
    The next-time sequences that spoilt things
    Bruno Langley as Adam

Francine, she's one feisty mama!

Wayne Guest

I like Tennant a bit more than i used to, but when it comes to the crunch i'm afraid Eccleston pisses all over overacty Tennant in my book.

Jackie! I loved her!

Martha. I can't even remember the others apart from the Mom, vaguely.

Daleks! (What do you mean, Why?)
    Cyberman. Because the New Series is yet to come up with anything as effective/memorable/iconic.
    Do the family of blood count? (Yes, i see from Pip's answer that they do)

Derek Jacobi. Because he CONVINCED! Whereas Simm's Master had a level of OTT that was beyond even Tennant at his worst, & made Ainley's panto Master seem brilliant by comparison. The characterization was appalling. One of my least favourite things about the New Series so far. Awful.

Couldn't really tell you who wrote what. Even on the classic series. I know a few but i can't really answer the question properly.

See above

'Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways' - Still yet to be matched in my book. I was on the edge of my seat with excitement. Rose trying to get back the Doctor was Billie's finest acting ever!
    'The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances' - Loved the setting. Stunning visuals. 'Are You My Mummy?' 'Everybody Lives!' Gas mask faces. Brrrr.... Need i say more?
    'Father's Day' - Lovely poignant story. Beautiful acting. A genuine drama highlight.

'Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel' - Just a great story/adventure. Loved the alternative universe. Return of a classic enemy. Mickey at his best. Tennant plays it more or less straight. Beautiful stuff from Billie when Mickey stays behind.
    'School Reunion' - SARAH JANE SMITH! That's enough! Sladen was superb, & Tennant mostly got it right.
    'Love & Monsters' - For daring to do something different! For being really funny/entertaining! For upsetting all the nose in the air fans! Loved the Jackie/Elton stuff especially.

'Human Nature/The Family of Blood' - Hugely atmospheric! Great performances. Tennant was really good when playing John Smith.
    'Blink' - Really eerie! Triggered my imagination.
    'Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks' - A bit formulaic in parts, but i really enjoyed it. But i love the Daleks & i'm not a nitpicker. (We need a wooden spoon emoticon)

The first half of the first one. The Christmas specials are ok, but none of them have been a patch on my favourite 'proper' episodes.

'The Last of the Time Lords/The Sound of Drums' - Something about childhood, Simm's Master, & rape. (*nods at milky) Oh & the Gollum Doctor.
    'Aliens of London/World War Three' - Yes, i'm afraid i hated the fart gags. Just so childish & inane. Not funny, but most of all just not needed. And they kept doing it. Once would've been more than enough.
    'The Girl in the Fireplace' - For being so utterly dull, & yet so rated. (Actually, 'Fear Her' was almost as bad, but at least everyone accepted the fact that it was dull)

A new Doctor who'll play it more straight & less silly/OTT bits.
    More 2 parters.
    A decent monster.

The chunky daleks of course!

Neither. (apart from Series 1)
    Digibox, DVD Recorder, Datawrite DVDrs, & an Epsom printer, thanks.

Yes. But SJA doesn't get the Epson treatment.

I don't have to buy it. (unless you count buying a tv licence)
    It proved Billie Piper could really act.
    The Daleks are better than ever!
    I like all soapy stuff that all the moaning old fan boys hate. (there's that wooden spoon again)
    The historical side has generally been great. (apart from 'The Girl in the Fireplace')

What apart from the obvious things?
    It's no so much that i dislike loads of things about the New Series, it's that i really dislike the things that i don't like.
    Anyway......

The constant Rose/Martha being in love with the Doctor thing.
    Finding excuses for the Doctor to keep having a snog.
    The misplaced 'humour' at times.
    The Tardis interior
    Sorry but Tennant's overacting. It's not all the time, but it's been the most consistently niggly, jarring thing that keeps interfering with my overall enjoyment of it. Just when you think he's starting to get it right, up it pops again.

Jackie of course. But i'd like her to challenge me.

Tennent, for me he not only nailed the part from day one but is your more traditional Doctor, and is able to do the complete range of emotions that you never really got from Eccleston

probably Mickey, cos he's just such a likable normal bloke.

no contest Martha.

Cybermen - have always been my favourite and with the exception of Earthshock, it was the first since the Troughton we really got the fealing that they were an unstoppable indistructable army.

Daleks - pretty much for the same reasons as above you finally believed that these updatted versions really were the all conquering beings.

The Master(John Simm) - In truth i've never been a fan of The Master,but simm played the part with a wonder insane manic way mixed with black humour..

going to pass on this one as we simply did not get enough of Jacobi, how ever what we did see of him I can actually see Jacobi's Master, being almost Identical in character to Roger Delgado.

Paul Cornell, I don't really think I need to go into my reasons why do I

Helen Raynor, after the previous high quality Dalek, stories of series 1 & 2 this was just a massive dissapointment.

9. Name your three favourite episodes (in order) from series one, with
    reasons.

Dalek - The emtion displyed by Eccleston and the cronfontation in the cell between The Doctor, and the Dalek, were one of the highlights of series 1. also see reasons above.

Fathers Day, quite a few episodes I could of picked but this is the only episode ever in old and new series that I have come close to sheding a tear. Pete's sacrifice at the end was a true emotional moment.

Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways - just nudges out The Empty Child/Doctor Dances, I loved the black humour of the reality tv obsessions of modern tv, and The Doctors "Rose i'm coming to get you speech" is still a punch the air moment. P.OW has just to many moments to mention.

0. Name your three favourite episodes (in order) from series two, with reasons.

School Reunion - well it's got Sarah-Jane in it nuff said I think.

The Girl in the Fireplace - i've always had a softspot for the historical stories and this is no exception.

AOG/Doomsday - Just because of the fantastic endings to both episodes.f

Human Nature/Family of Blood - for me probably the best story every in new and old series the writing was brilliant and the acting from all the main characters high quality stuff.

Utopia - the return of Captain Jack and The Master says it all.

don't really have a third fav.c

Christmas Invasion

The Long Game - probably because it was just such an anti climax after the previous episode Dalek

Love and Monsters - hats off to RTD for trying some thing different but it just wasn't my cup of tea.i

no 3rd one can think of

less use of the sonic screwdriver

the return of the Brigadier

Zygons

have never bought any thing ............yet

Vanilla , because i've been very dissapointed with the extras you get in these box sets as most of them have no interest for me

watch Torchwood

David Tennent

updated versions of cybermen and Daleks

quality writing

prosphetics/sets

New theme tune and titles.

constant use of sonic screwdriver

to many earthbound episodes

just a bit to much family stuff.

oh definitely jackie.

Quite tough. Loved the Eccleston U-Boat Captain jacket and survivors guilt.
    But Tennant has developed it further. Chris man! You were a fool to go!

Jackie. Got a thing for older women, I'm sorry! I'd even pass over Rose!

Tish, we didn't see enough of her. Martha's sweet, but Tish should have gone on the Tardis! We didn't have chance to get to know the Jones as much as the Tylers.

The Gasmask Lad (It gave me a nightmare for the first time in years!)
    The Weeping Angels. Statues coming alive. Old idea. But it worked.
    The Ood. "Design classic"

Derek Jacobi. Utopia was that series best episode.

Stephen Moffat. He'd spread himself too thin if he was put in charge though.

Helen Raynor. How can you make the Daleks dull?
    Also Matthew Graham should have stuck with the Gene genie.

Rose-It bought the show back. Wheelie bin included.
    Dalek-It bought back the Daleks. (ok,the Dalek)
    The Empty Child-Tense,creepy best performances all round.
    (CRAP! I forgot Father's Day!)

School Reunion-Not just nostalgia. Best comedy.
    The Age Of Steel-Just for the factory scenes alone.
    Army Of Ghosts-Wins out over Doomsday for the hopelessness of the ending.

Blink-raised the benchmark for all TV not just Who.
    Utopia-because you work out what's happening before the Doctor does.
    The Sound Of Drums-For the "How the F*** are they going to get out of that?" factor.

The Christmas Invasion. (although I thought the Empress was sexy)

Last Of The Time Lords-Bit of a letdown after all that came before it.
    Gridlock-Not as clever as it thought it was.
    Tooth & Claw (ending rushed to set up Torchwood? Do one your Maj!)

The Doctor not to know everything.
    The Doctor not to have a device in his Tardis that fixes things at the last minute.
    No default settings. The population remains depleted!

Not bought anything unless you count the box sets. And that's for the commentaries.

Huge big boxes! Easier to grab in a fire. Did you not think of that completists?

Yes, SJA wins out over Torchwood even without body count!

It's got kids back on board. My friends 3 year old always says "Quick Doctor! Run!"
    It cleans up at awards which is two fingers to all the snobs who wrote it off.
    It's better than Primeval
    Er...
    That's it.

Media spoilers
    Celebrity guests that have no business stinking up the placesharonosbourne.
    four minutes at the end when we could have an extra two minutes of foe confrontation.

Jackie, because I'd help!

It has to be Eccleston. Tennant's performances are too rangy from very good to very bad. With Eccleston you always got a great performance. Even in the stories I didn't like that much, that was always a saving grace.

Rose. Despite initial reservations about Billie Piper, she ended up making Rose an excellent character.

Martha, but there's not much in the way of choice really. I didn't like Martha all that much as a companion, and never really took to her though.

Daleks. They've had the best atories overall of the monsters.

Cybermen. Although I generally prefer them to the Daleks, they haven't been best served by the new series so far. I'm hoping this will change though.

Weeping Angels. I don't think brining them back will work, but for that one episode they were absolutely excellent. Far scarier than the Daleks or even the Cybermen, but obviously not in it so much, so they only scoop third place.

John Simm. There were ceretainly aspects of his portrayal I didn't like as much, but Jacobi didn't have time to show that what he could do to really make this a competition.

Stephen Moffatt, simply because he's wrote the best stories of the new series. Cornell is up there too, as his are the other stories up the top for me.

RTD. He's done some good stories, but also some poor ones. Nobody else has really done that, and have had sole poor episodes instead, so RTD gets the vote for the number of poor stories he's done.

Father's Day. Deeply moving and wonderfully written.

Empty Child/Doctor Dances. Again, it's great writing, this time with a great stroyline and setting.

Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways. The best thing RTD's done, a great season closer and the best use of the Daleks so far.

Girl in the Fireplace. Again, it's a brilliantly written story and has some great performances.

Love & Monsters. This was something very different from the norm, and for me it worked wonderfully. Great fun and very engaging.

Impossible Planet/Satan Pit. It had its faults but it was still a great couple of episodes with a real Sci-Fi setting.

Blink. Scary as hell and excellently written again.

Human Nature/Family of Blood. A great adaption of one of my favourite Doctor Who novels, the added elements were and extra bonus.

Utopia. Mainly for the final fifteen to twenty minutes which was just riveting viewing. Shame about what came next though.

Voyage of the Damned is the best of what is otherwise a pretty average bunch. The one good thing is that the Christmas Specials have got better with each year, so we should get a real treat soon.

Boom Town. I know it's a filler story, and it does deal with consequences in a way no over story has before, but it's also extremely dull and I don't like the Slitheen all that much.

Aliens of London/World War III. Nothing to do with the farting, just a poor story with a poor monster.

Fear Her. It's a bit dull really, another story that's just a little bit meh!

A new monster that I'd be keen to see return. I haven't seen one yet.

More of the TARDIS to be seen.

Final two parters that don't seem a carbon copy of Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways but done sub-standardly.

Radio Control Daleks x 2

Boxsets for me, Vanillas for Kieran

I watch Torchwood and will get the SJA DVD's.

The story length, I really like it.

The great merchandise

The quality of most of it.

The spin-offs it has spawned

The theme tune.

The reliance on monsters from the past. The Cybermen and Daleks were a given, but I'd rather see more thought put into creating somehting new.

RTD's overextending himself with the writing of too many stories.

The way some fans wither glorify it all or despise it all, both with little reason as to why.

Jackie, easily.

With Eccleston, I thought it was a bad casting choice, but was won over after 10 minutes of screen time. With Tennant, I thought it was an excellent choice of actor, but took 11 episodes to even begin to warm to him. Eccleston was perfect for the first year, in that he wasn't precious about the part, he wasn't a fan at all, so he just took the part as he saw it on the page and ran with it - he didn't have any "Ooh, would Doctor Who do that?" sort of baggage, and that was just what the show needed. Tennant had a hit & miss first year, with some very dodgy angry acting in, amongst others, New Earth and The Idiot's Lantern, although by the season finale I'd taken to him. During season 3 though, he totally won me over, and that sense of not quite knowing what he's going to do next, his unpredictability, reminds me of Tom circa 1979, which was what I fell in love with in the first place. So I suppose my answer is.... David Tennant, but with the qualifier that I'm very glad he wasn't chosen for season 1.

Rose. Although it's probably tremendously shallow of me to have chosen based on looks, I'm afraid I have. (I presume you've listed the potential candidates, Pip, to prevent us all nominating Old Ma Tyler!)

Martha. I actually prefer Martha to Rose, and I think Freema was and is fantastic. She's one of the main reasons I soooo enjoyed season 3.

It's a toughie. I'm going for Daleks, then the Judoon, and in third place the Slitheen. Maybe.

John Simm made the part his own, but... Derek Jacobi was just brilliant.

RTD. He seems to get singled out by some parts of fandom as the weak link in the writing chain, but I just don't see it. His ability to push the show as far as it will go in terms of, particularly, fun & being funny, was a real surprise back in 2005, and again reminded me of 1979. Plus his knack of slipping in some suddenly very touching stuff in the mix, and at the same time keeping the whole thing moving along at a fair old pace, is superb. Plus he's demonstrated a good range, from the almost Adams-y End of the World, to the elegant Tooth & Claw (the dinner table scene in that one is one of my favourites of the whole show).

Tricky - the only New Series story I've hated is RTD's New Earth. All the other writers have done sterling work. I suppose almost by default I'm going to go for Rob Shearman - his Dalek story never quite 'did it' for me, maybe because in general I don't usually go for that dark and grim style of Who. It's a bit unfair though, because he's only had the one story; if Steven Moffat had only written The Girl in the Fireplace, I might have chosen him instead.

I'm taking episodes literally, so my top three are probably:
    World War Three - partly nostalgia, in that I can remember watching it with Little Miss and us both being totally engrossed; but also, I still think it's a damn fine episode.
    The End of the World - it showed us that "Rose" wasn't a one hit wonder, and made me laugh and made me cry within the space of 45 minutes.
    The Parting of the Ways - I was inexplicably disappointed with this one first time around, but I've since seen The Error of my Ways. It's an amazing roller-coaster, and an absolutely stonking season finale.

Fear Her - if only because it was the episode where I finally accepted the tenth Doctor, and stopped pining for the ninth.
    School Reunion - it's a bit rushed plotwise, but scores heavily for K9 being back. And Sarah too.
    Tooth & Claw - an unusual RTD script, small-scale and very focused, it's a gorgeous watch. As mentioned above, the dinner-table scene is excellent, the characterisation superb, and I would say it's one of the most perfectly-cast Doctor Who stories ever, with even the small parts (such as the Steward) performed to the hilt.

Very tricky, because I just loved season 3. Today I'll go with...
    Gridlock - I didn't know anything about this one prior to watching it, so it came totally out of left-field. By turns hilarious, moving, and uplifting, it's an absolute gem.
    Smith & Jones - Freema makes us forget Billie almost at once, making an assured, and pitch-perfect debut. Plus those Judoon are a great monster.
    The Lazarus Experiment - a good old-fashioned romp, I just find this one so effortlessly and stylishly entertaining.

The Christmas Invasion, although a lot of that is probably down to nostalgia. It's still very watchable though (saw it again this past week) and is probably the New Series episode I've seen the most times. Brand new Doctor. New Doctor Who. Christmas Day. Unbelievable.

New Earth. Simply because it felt so derivative, and so NOT new. Cassandra's back, Boe's back, the spiders are back. Worse, the incidental music is largely recycled, the 'everybody lives' ending is a steal, the Doctor & Rose getting separated with the lifts is just very lazily done, and it seems an odd way to reintroduce a show by having the lead characters playing somebody else for half the time. It's just a very weak link in a very strong chain.

The Girl in the Fireplace. Some of it (eg, the pre-credit sequence) is excellent. But for the Doctor to be so overtly interested in a woman he's just met, to the extent that he's bragging "I've just snogged Madame de Pompadour" is just (at the risk of sounding like a total fanboy) wrong, wrong, wrong. Plus, again, Tennant's drunk acting is rather cringe-inducing.

The Idiot's Lantern. It's not a bad story, but it doesn't quite work for me. Maybe it's the too blatant speech-making by Tommy, or the poor performance of Mr Connolly, or the bad angry-acting by the Doctor. There are some nice bits in it, Maureen Lipman amongst them, but it's just not quite as good as some of its stablemates.

More Martha.

To actually be surprised on a big scale (ie, if somehow they keep the return of, say, Chris Eccleston a surprise, or manage to conceal Tennant's departure until we find ourselves watching the regeneration).

A celebrity historical with either Gilbert & Sullivan, or Tony Hancock.

Remote-controlled K9 (nephew's got one). Simply because it does my occasionally-cynical heart good to see a generation of kids who instantly recognise a slightly-pompous, fussy old robot who was around when I was 7.

We don't as a rule get either, but I'm plumping for vanilla. The box sets somehow seem very disappointing on the extras front, considering the wealth of material that ought to be available. Plus most of the vanilla covers are rather gorgeous.

Yes.

-The 'next time' teaser.
    -Its courage (particularly initially) to not only acknowledge, but openly include, the old series.
    -The way Tennant puts his glasses on.
    -The fact that, to me at least, it's just more Who. I don't think in terms of Old Series on the one hand, and New Series on the other, it's just all Doctor Who. I did worry prior to "Rose" airing that it would be totally unrecognisable - but it's not.
    -"Lots of planets have a North."

-The TARDIS interior. It looks good, don't get me wrong, but it just doesn't seem very homely to me. Although I do like the 'running up the ramp' action.
    -Confidential being on straight after. Sunday night, when the episode has had a day to settle, would suit me much better.
    -New Earth.

Jackie, although I don't think it would be a pushover by any means.

Tennant p*sses all over Ecclestone. They're both gurning *****, but Eccleston was also Northern... so that edges it for Tennant. Ecclessseetoneee also quit before I finished reading the question. Work-shy ******!

None of them. They're all soapy *****.

None of them. They're all hammy *****.

None of them have been memorable. NU WHO MOSTERS SUCK ASS!!

None of the above. Simmmmssss lacks gravitarse and Jacobi was too gay and grey.

I don't even know who writes nuwhooooo. I much prefer the quality of the classic series writers.

The Chinball Wizard. He raped everything!

Rose - as good as nuwho got.
    Aliens of London - Farting Slitheen!! FFS!!
    Bad Wolf - Ecclestone at his Northern best.

New Earth - as good as Tennant and Bingo got.
    Love & Monsters - My gran is still going on about that frikkin paving slab!!
    Fear Her - Chloe Webber's Dad made me wet me kecks!

42 - Chinball's finest work?
    Daleks In Manhattan - BEST MUPPET MOVIE EVAH!
    Utopia - The Futurekind were neat.

Doctor Who Meets Slade

The Empty Child - Fat Hevva from EastEnders lacks gravitarse.
    Blink - More smug wankery from pervy Mofffeeettttt
    Human Nature - Cornell's voice is too annoying.

Decent writing, quality acting, non-soapy plots.

Ecclestone's underpants

Big box sets. Vanilla DVDs are for fudds.

Yes

Gurning, Campness. Annoying Music, Farting Slitheen and Deus Ex Machina endings

The cast, writing and production.

Jackie's arse would destroy everything.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Clement View Post
    The way some fans wither glorify it all or despise it all
    That really gets me as well.
    On the one hand there are who would eat a turd so long as it's got Dr Who written through it like Blackpool Rock. Those who can't seem to bring themselves to criticize any aspect of it. As if the programme is an actual person who might get upset & start crying, instead of just a tv programme.
    Then on the other hand there are those who just seemed determined to trash it no matter what. Seemingly refusing to see anything in it at all that might be possibly be construed as good. Everything has to be negative, & before each season or episode even begins they've already decided well in advance that it's already going to be crap, or they're going hate it, - posting barbed comments & snide remarks all the way through the run up to each season or episode, never mind after.
    The one thing that i can never fathom with this last category, is why oh why do they keep watching it? Why don't they just watch something that they actually might like? Perhaps they enjoy being unhappy?
    Luckily, from what i've seen these extremes mostly exist on other forums. There are things i've loved about it, & there are things i've hated about it, but i try to keep an open mind at least until the fat lady has sung.

DT for me. I liked Eccleston's Doctor, but he was hard to love. Tennant's Doctor is more my cup of tea I think.

Jackie. What's not to love?

Martha, though I think it was a mistake for her to fall for the Doctor.

This is a tricky one, as there's lots I've liked- it's probably Daleks in Series one because they were so damn tough and cool, The Slitheen, because they upset so many people and The Judoon because they were such a great design and very well executed.

Derek, because the switch from the lovely Yana to Master was one of the most shocking moments of the series. Two completely different characters brought so brilliantly to life by one astonishingly brillaint actor.

Paul Cornell. I've just loved his stories!

Steve Moffat. I just don't get on with his adventures. Controversial, but true.

1. Father's Day: Because it made me cry
    2. Dalek: For it brilliant reinvigoroation of the Daleks.
    3. Boomtown: It was just a great, enjoyable episode.

1. School Reunion: Just fantastic from start to finish, K9! My Sarah Jane!
    2. The Impossible Planet/ The Satan Pit: Atmospheric and exciting
    3. The Idiots Lantern: A highly enjoyable episode with a great villain.

1. Human Nature/ Family of Blodd; Just because it was perfect.
    2. The Shakespeare Code: Brilliantly made, witty and clever.
    3. The Lazarus Experiment: Mark Gattis made this for me.

Voyage of the Damned, probably.

Blink: I just didn't get it at all. It didn't scare me, it bored me.
    The Girl in the Fireplace: I just didn't buy inot the Doctor's romance.
    Aliens of London/ WW3: Just not that brilliant.

More space-y adventures, a pure historical, Penelope Keith to guest star.

The remote control K9, because I'd waited since 1979 for one.

BIG BOX SETS!

Yes.

That bit in the titles with the TARDIS coming into space for a moment, Penelope Wilton as Harriet Jones, that it's got my nephew and so many other 6 years olds hooked on the show, That Doctor Who is popular as I always knew it should be, for good or bad, it is Doctor Who- hooray for that!

The lack of more TARDIS rooms seen on screen, the way reactions it inspires in fans of the show, not enough episodes directed by the mighty Euros Lynn.

Jackie! She's stronger than she looks.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Eccleston. I didn't instantly like him, it took a few episodes for him to grow on me, but it was well into Tennant's second season before I could easily accept him as the Doctor, as I felt his performance was patchy in his first season. I was really disappointed to see Eccleston leave, but I don't quite feel as attached to Tennant's Doctor.

Jackie's brilliant. I just think she's hilarious...she got some great scenes!

Martha. I didn't see enough of her family for them to grow on me much.

The Weeping Angels. This just copied the 70's theme of taking everyday objects and making them seem scary, but did so very effectively imo.
    The Master (Derek Jacobi)...unfortunately he only appeared for the one single episode but for the last ten minutes or so showed that he could easily have been the most evil Master ever, given the chance. Jacobi was totally convincing in the part.
    The Macra...OK, so this was maybe only a cameo appearance but was one of Series 3 highlights for me.
    (Daleks are bubbling under for me, if they had only appeared in the first series they would have been up there but I feel that their impact has been lessened by weaker stories each time they show up)

See above. Simm just lacked Jacobi's presence. They should have kept Jacobi for all 3 episodes, imo.

Stephen Moffatt. Only just, mind you. He's consistantly given us excellent stories, they're always among the highlights of each season for me. Paul Cornell is a close second.

RTD. Simply because of the sheer number of episodes that he's written. Some have been among the best (Bad Wolf/TPOTW) but also he's written some of the worst (S3 finale). He's good with ideas but not always successful at fleshing them out. He'd benefit from writing fewer episodes each season.

Bad Wolf/TPOTW: thousands of invading daleks and a brilliant regeneration scene.
    The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances: I loved the scenes with Rose over London, the introduction of Captain Jack, and an effective 'villain' with the child in the gas mask.
    Father's Day: perhaps the saddest episode of DW ever made. I, for one, had a lump in my throat at the end.

School Reunion: Sarah Jane, K-9
    The Girl In The Fireplace: it shouldn't work seeing the Doctor fall in love, but somehow it does. Sophie Myles helps, as well.
    The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit: very tense and atmospheric. Plus it was good to finally see a new series story set on an alien world rather than Earth/New Earth/spaceEarth, New Earth or a space station.

Blink: great villains, great supporting cast and an exciting story. It was good to see time travel being used as an integral part of the plot for a change.
    Human Nature/The Family Of Blood: simply such a strong story with great performances from all involved, this had you really caring for the characters
    Utopia: not a brilliant episode in it's own right, but Jacobi's performance was one of S3's highlights imo

Voyage Of The Damned

The Sound Of Drums/Last Of The Time Lords: a huge disappointment, an overblown mess imo. All style with no substance. Probably the most disappointing story of the new series, as I had such high expectations.
    The Long Game: not a bad episode as such, but being placed between two of the strongest stories of the season didn't do this one any favours
    Love & Monsters: sorry, but I just couldn't get into this one myself.

Zygons. Less cop-outs (ie sonic screwdrivers, resetting time, etc). And a genuine big surprise not being leaked onto the internet/ to newspapers in advance.

Remote control Dalek. It's great to see all these things on the shelf at Woolies etc again rather than just in Cult shops like Forbidden Planet.

Box sets

Yes, although I've still got several episodes of both series to watch yet.

The simple fact that we actually have a new series, after a 15 year gap.
    The high quality of most of the writing
    Saturday evening timeslot....it's traditional home!
    Kids love it
    Generally good casting and characters

RTD spreading himself too thin, writing too many episodes
    Companions in love with the Doctor
    The BIG end of season two/three parters. It worked in Series 1, but these have steadily getting weaker in each passing season. Here's hoping this year's doesn't disappoint.

Jackie, easily

Tenant. Eccleston didn't stay long enough to earn my love, and frankly the whole way he departed still leaves a sour taste in the mouth. I wish he'd publically make it up with the production team and agree to come back for a multi-Doctor story. Let's have Tom, Peter, Colin, Sylv, Paul, Chris and David in "The Seven Doctors" for the 2009 Easter Special!

Jackie I think - I just love her. What other Doctor Who character flashes their knickers about and screams "it's the Slickeen!!"

The family as a whole are hard to love. I'll say Tish because she has an iconic name.

The Cybermen, the Judoon and the Weeping Angels. The design of the Judoon is just beautiful and the Weeping Angels are the scariest thing seen yet. The Cybermen wern't perfect (legs look crap) but they ARE Cybermen.

Easily Jacobi. Simm was just a mis-fire - too over the top and ridiculous. It's one of my biggest laments of the new series that Jacobi's excellent Master was immediately regenerated.

Helen Raynor! Just kidding. Either Paul Cornell or Steven Moffatt. I don't like Moffatt as a person, but I love his stories. Cornell's "Fathers Day" was pretty damn good, and "Family of Blood" was superb.

Either Helen Raynor for the awful Dalek two-parter last year, or Chinball Wizard for "42" (though he seems good at writing "Torchwood"). Gareth Roberts has never lived up to the promise of his Missing Adventures either. Perhaps he's only good at writing Season 17 stories?

"End of the World" - our first voyage into outer space, and Cassandra was the new series first great memorable villain

"Fathers Day" - a few niggling plot oddities (the weird 'empty' TARDIS moments and all that silly stuff with the key) but Piper gives probably the best companion performance since Barbara in "The Aztecs".

"Boom Town" - A brilliantly dark character peice, with a great comedy opening and Annette Badland shining.

"Tooth and Claw" - wonderful dark chiller, and a very witty script from RTD.

"School Reunion" - one of the most perfect episodes, with a lovely return for Sarah-Jane and K9. It's like a 1990's 4.45pm kids TV drama, in the best possible way. But with added Doctor Who nostalgia.

"Love & Monsters" - lovely and odd. They JUST about get away with the Absorbaloff, but the real stars are LINDA - and the tale of a happy fan group having their fun ruined by a big fat uber fan spoilsport is curiously sad. And surely "a bit of a sex life" just means they can kiss?

"Smith and Jones" - the best opener so far, the Judoon look great and the whole plot about a hospital on the moon is delicious comic book.

"Human Nature" - the Scarecrows coming to life is the Doctor Who moment you always remembered but never actually happened. And that possessed prefect guy was eerie.

"Blink" - Terrifying, and made you jump in all the right places. The Doctor being effectively stranded inside a DVD Easter Egg also made for quite a sinister image.

"Voyage of the Damned", as the worst of three evils. They are obviously made to zonk out too after the turkey, and I don't they think stand up as regular episodes once Christmas is over.

"The Christmas Invasion" - alarmingly like "Storm Warning" - there's no plot at all, they just go up to the spaceship and then talk the villains (the depressingly Star Trek-like Sycorax) to death

"The Satan Pit" - a two-parter as well, dear God! Just unmagical and dreary. The beast does nothing because, apparently, his mind has gone and is inside one of the humans. Thanks. And we all thought it was going to be Sutekh behind it all.

"42" - A copy of "The Satan Pit"! With nothing original! Michelle Collins is crap and it's just a whole lot of sweat and nothing.

A multi Doctor story, a cameo from The Brigadier and to see more rooms in the TARDIS.

The 12" Judoon looks beautiful, but I don't have it alas.

Vanilla's. They are more affordable as they split the cost, and it rankles that the box sets are so expensive and don't contain many of the deleted scenes. And they kind of fit in on the shelf better alongside the Classic Series DVD's.

And how! I love them both. Though SJA slightly more.

The Next Episode trailers - a welcome addition to the mythos
    Better monsters
    Exciting theme music. I don't care if it's tweaked occasionally either, you can barely notice.
    The ratings
    RTD's direction for the series - he mostly seems to get it right, particuarly with the characters.

Reluctance to visit alien planets
    The way they keep trying to make every end-of-season bigger and better to the extent that, eventually, every single character that has appeared on the show is going to come back and destroy the entire Universe.
    The TARDIS. It's just never been quite right, outside or in. It shouldn't be organic and industrial, it should be hi-tech and homely.

I don't know but I'd gladly watch.

Si.

Wayne Guest

I think it's great that Jackie is virtually everyone's favourite Tyler! Never mind bringing Rose back, Bring Jackie back!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    That really gets me as well.
    On the one hand there are who would eat a turd so long as it's got Dr Who written through it like Blackpool Rock. Those who can't seem to bring themselves to criticize any aspect of it. As if the programme is an actual person who might get upset & start crying, instead of just a tv programme.
    Then on the other hand there are those who just seemed determined to trash it no matter what. Seemingly refusing to see anything in it at all that might be possibly be construed as good. Everything has to be negative, & before each season or episode even begins they've already decided well in advance that it's already going to be crap, or they're going hate it, - posting barbed comments & snide remarks all the way through the run up to each season or episode, never mind after.
    The one thing that i can never fathom with this last category, is why oh why do they keep watching it? Why don't they just watch something that they actually might like? Perhaps they enjoy being unhappy?
    Luckily, from what i've seen these extremes mostly exist on other forums. There are things i've loved about it, & there are things i've hated about it, but i try to keep an open mind at least until the fat lady has sung.

couldn't agree more..

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post

Tenant. Eccleston didn't stay long enough to earn my love, and frankly the whole way he departed still leaves a sour taste in the mouth. I wish he'd publically make it up with the production team and agree to come back for a multi-Doctor story. Let's have Tom, Peter, Colin, Sylv, Paul, Chris and David in "The Seven Doctors" for the 2009 Easter Special!

Si.
    I pretty much believe the plan was to keep eccleston, for one series only and had they kept his departure a seceret the regeneration at the end of episode 1 would of gone down as the most jaw dropping unexpected moment in Who history.

To be fair to Eccleston, I don't think it was all his fault the BBC, coming out within days of episode 1 saying series 2 and 3 had been commisioned put him in a very difficult situation.

Well I never said I blamed him for it, it just leaves a bitter impression the way it all ended.

I pretty much believe the plan was to keep eccleston, for one series only and had they kept his departure a seceret the regeneration at the end of episode 1 would of gone down as the most jaw dropping unexpected moment in Who history.
    Two things about this - one, it's pure speculation as there's no way to know for sure. And two, we must remember it's mightily convenient for all concerned to claim it was "all part of the plan".

Si.

Tennant - He just rocks my DW world!

Rose

Leo

Daleks (Classic), Ood (Creepy), Weeping Angels (Bloody Scary)

John Simm (Spot on, menace & humour)

Don't really pay that much attention to writers of episodes I don't like

Where's Q8?

Empty Child (Proper Scary DW)
    Dalek (Wow)
    Parting of the Ways (Double wow)

Girl in the Fireplace (Weepy in the extreme)
    School Reunion (SJS & K9)
    Impossible Planet (Stunning Production)

Blink (Scary Scary Scary)
    Human Nature (So Different)
    Sound of Drums (The Master back on form)

Christmas Invasion

Fear Her
    Runaway Bride

Davros (Maybe not so random)
    Zygons
    Nyssa

Radio controlled Daleks (They're so cool)

Box sets of course

Yes

Eccleston
    Tennant
    Steven Moffat
    John Sim
    Murray Gold

Celebrity Cameos (Trisha et al)
    Only 1 Year of Eccleston
    Farting Slitheen

Francine
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Eccleston by quite a long chalk. He was a far more mysterious Doctor, darker, I think, and was one of the most original Doctors in a long time. And he’s not nearly as annoying as Tennant – in fact I don’t think the 9th Doctor annoyed me at all – even for leaving too soon!

Rose – the rest are all annoying. Well, with the exception of Pete.

Martha – can’t really remember anoy of the others apart from here Mum, who was always so uptight that I think she needed a good seeing-to.

Can’t remember a lot of them – the Slitheen were quite good, and the family Blood. Liked the Dalek in ‘Dalek’ too.

Derek Jacobi. Even though he was only the Master very briefly he was still better than Simms’ version which I didn’t care for at all – far too jokey for my liking.

Paul Cornell – simply because he’s written some of the best episodes.

RTD - because he never seems to be able to get the balance right.

Dalek – because it made me appreciate Daleks again (pity about subsequent episodes)
    The Unquiet Dead – cos it was really atmospheric and a brilliant pre-credit’s sequence!
    Fathers Day – very emotional and a great time paradox storyline which I like as a concept.

Tooth and Claw – very atmospheric and a good cast
    School Reunion – do I need to give a reason?
    The Impossible Planet – nice tense episode and I like spaceship/space station stories!

Human Nature/Family of blood – interesting premise and one of the best stories of the New Series so far.
    Blink – really clever stuff!

Probably Voyage of the Damned

Boomtown – a bit odd, just left me completely uninspired
    Fear Her – did nothing for me at all
    Love & Monsters – some weak, jokey sci-fi rubbish which someone slipped into the series of Doctor Who by mistake

Far less stories on Earth
    Far less use of Daleks
    More two-parters

Don’t have one

I’ve only got the Series one box set and I don’t intend on buying any of the others, vanilla or otherwise.

I’ve seen most of Torchwood but only the first SJ Adventure.

Very emotional in places – when used sparingly, mind
    Lots of stories, even if I do prefer the classic series episode format
    Chris Eccleston – I wish he’d done at least another series
    Bille Piper
    RTD for managing to bring it back in the first place

Far too emotional – we need more aliens and less of the soap opera stuff!
    The theme tune – it started off OK but has got progressively worse – and I’m not keen on the orchestral sound
    The 10th Doctor is very annoying a lot of the time.

Not sure, but there’s only one way to find out – FIGHT, FIGHT!

Hmm – not as easy as it looks. Eccleston was consistent, but still needed to develop a real Doctorlyness. Tennant has done that, but only sporadically, and has been very annoying at times. Overall....Tennant
    Pete – appeared when he needed to and didn't outstay his welcome.
    Martha – didn't really get to know the others, but Martha was a very good companion (except for you know what ...)
    Judoon – probably the best visualised alien of the New Series; Weeping Angels – because they were a very clever idea; Cybermen - despite being let down by Doomsday
    Simm – Jacobi would have been very good, but wasn't around long enough to prove it, but also I liked Simms bonkers Master
    Despite some real stinkers, it'll have to be RTD because his very best outweigh his very worst (unlike Moffat), though for more consistency I'd go for Mark Gatiss
    Helen Raynor – no doubting, who managed to take potentially great ideas and screw them up into a poorly plotted (and I'm not even on about the science) and ham-fisted scripted waste of time and effort.
    Dalek – well scripted, well delivered, just an awful ending
    The Parting of the Ways – for red hot Dalek action (despite all the soapy stuff)
    The Empty Child – for being a genuinely interesting part 1 of a story
    The Age of Steel – all the right things about the Cybermen, and damned exciting
    School Reunion – well paced and constructed (how emotional stuff should be done)
    Tooth & Claw – for being a very different NS story, shame about the Doctor and Rose
    Blink – very well constructed and written
    Lazarus Experiment – Mark Gatiss and a real romp
    Gridlock – MACRA !!
    Christmas Invasion – though not overly impressed with any of them
    Boom Town – too knowing and winking
    Love & Monsters – not as clever as it thought it was
    Evolution of the Daleks – how not to write for the Daleks
    More Doctor-villain confrontation scenes (to match the classics of the past)
    More two part stories
    A new monster worth of returning visits
    The action figures - they’re quite well made, fairly cheap and Sam loves them
    Box sets - when they get to a reasonable price
    Yes - or rather record them if I remember to watch at some point
    The attention to design (e.g. new Daleks and Cybermen) and special effects
    The fact its now getting the money it always deserved
    That my sons love it so much and I can share my love of DW with them
    errrrrm
    - the fact that so many others on PS are enjoying it so much and so keeping PS an interesting place to be.
    The lack of longer more challenging stories
    The refusal of the New Team to produce more adult level fiction
    RTDs obsession with the character Rose Tyler (which spoilt some of the New Series for me and which shows no sign of ever ending) - or perhaps my obsession with RTD’s obsession

Francine - Jackie would start off OK, but then get distracted by a 10 minute emotional heart to heart with Rose and Pete wedged into the action, and get pummelled as soon as the soppy music stopped.
    Bazinga !

I'm not really a massive fan of the New Series, but I shall try to be as nice as I can

I'd have to go with Tennant. I'm not hugely enamoured with either of these Doctors, but I never felt comfortable with Eccleston at all. Tennant is quite Doctory sometimes though, but not as often as I would like. I blame "the Tenth Doctor" rather than Tennant though.

Pete - he always seemed like a nice guy. Jackie was just a charicature rather than a character, Rose was whiney and clingy. Mickey was alright too, but he got a bit whiney too.

I can't even remember what any of them look like apart from Martha, let alone remember anything about their characters.

The Daleks - because they resisted the temptation to make them all-singing all-modern things with legs, and just made them as good as ever, but better AND with the movie-style lights.
    The Mechanical Men things from Girl in the Fireplace - Not so much for what they did, but I just loved the design. Not when they were dressed up, but the transparent faceless skull with all the clockwork mechanism inside was a great image.
    Erm... Maybe the Ood for third - again just for the design really. They're quite nice-looking aliens. Not sure if they count as villians though. You can keep your Slitheen and all the flying CGI things, they weren't much good.

Jacobi - because Simm was rubbish.

Mr Moffat - because his series 2 and series 3 episodes were both my favourites of the season, and the season 1 episodes were okay too.

RTD - because I really really dislike the vast majority of his episodes (I only liked Love and Monsters, and I doubt even that would stand up to repeated viewings), I dislike his whole take on the series, and despite all the hype I just think he's a really bad writer.

8. Were you at all thrown by the way question 8 was not included?
    No.

Dalek - because it had a Dalek in it. I don't think it's a GREAT episode, but the excitement at the time was something else.
    Then probably The Empty Child/Doctor Dances - I didn't think it was that great, but I didn't like a lot of the other episodes.

Girl in the Fireplace - I enjoyed the story. It was a nice self-contained story without being bogged down in story-arc stuff. And it was atmospheric. I really liked it.
    The Satan Pit - I didn't like the guest cast, but I thought it was a pretty entertaining story, only slightly let down by bollocks science.

Blink - Again, it was an entertaining story and nicely self-contained. A bit spoiled (for me) by the fact that it was fundamentally the same as the story out of the Annual so I knew what was going on straight away.
    Utopia - (I think "Utopia" was the first part of the three-parter?) Well, not a lot happened, and it doesn't stand up to repeated viewings, but it was very exciting as the Master came back at the end of the story. Then it all went wrong but never mind.
    Then probably one of the Human Nature episodes, but I'm not sure which one was best. (Actually I'm going to go with the first part, because I really didn't like the very un-Doctor-like ending (not to mention un-Doctor-Who-like.... trapped in a reflection?! Give me a break.))

The first one. It was exciting to see a new Doctor, it was a pretty good story anyway, and of course it was a new novelty at the time. The second one was awful, and the latest one was okay, but not as exciting.

Far, far, far too many to mention, and I'd just go off on a big rant anyway, and I said I wouldn't be too negative, so I'll skip this question

"Russel T Davies" not on the opening credits. "Russel T Davies" not on the CLOSING credits. Some proper sci-fi stuff involving TARDIS dimensional anomalies or something.

The sonic screwdriver. Even though I absolutely hate it in the series, it's still nice to own it. Which is probably why it's in the series so much.

Series 1 to 3 - VHS off-air recordings. Current series - BBC 1 broadcast and memory

I watch Torchwood. I didn't rate series 1 much but I've been surprised how much I enjoyed series 2.
    I watched the pilot episode of Sarah Jane (even though I had to download it off the internet because I didn't know when it was on at the time) and, although I enjoyed it a lot more than the DW Christmas Special that year, I never felt the desire to watch the full series.

I think I've said pretty much all the things I like already but... (1)the Daleks appearence at the end of Doomsday (Part one of the Season 2 finale anyway, not sure of the title), no really I can't think of much else off the top of my head apart from stuff I've already mentioned.

The too-wide TARDIS most of the incidental music, and the "style over content" production policy.

20. Jackie Tyler or Francine Jones - who'd win in a mud-wrestling
    I don't even know which one Francine is. If it's the mum, then I only really remember her out of Casualty, so I still don't know. Plus it's a mental image I really don't want anyway.
    Last edited by Zbigniev Hamson; 7th Apr 2008 at 10:43 PM.

Eccleston, I warmed to him straight away, and just found him to be a very likeable guy capable of being the most cheerful person around, before turning into somebody you might be quite scared of. It took me a long time to grow to like Tennant, and while I'm fine with him now, for most of Season two I wasn't that keen.

I liked them all, but Pete was my favourite. Just a very down to earth, likeable guy.

I wasn't that fond of any of them, but I did kind of like Clive, what little we saw of him.

The Master(John Simm) - I know he came in for some flack from people who wanted a more serious villain, but I've always liked Jokeresque villains, and found Simm's Master to be very amusing, as well as incredibly nasty.
    The Daleks - Particularly Dalek Sec, who probably had more personality than any other Dalek to date. The Daleks in the new series are the best they have ever been, with genuine personality and cunning, rather than just being obedient robots with a few set phrases.
    Clockwork Droids - I always like things with masks for some reason, and these guys were just very sinister. I loved how 'clockwork' they were too.

John Simm, though they were equally excellent imo.

I'm not sure I really have one, but probably RTD. He has written some weak episodes, but I tend to really enjoy most of his episodes, and think he does great work with the season finales.

I don't really have one.

Dalek - A great way to bring the Daleks back, making them seem totally unstoppable and terrifying. With some good character moments for the Doctor, and the first hints of the Time War backstory.
    Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways - A great finale, some of the gameshow stuff is a bit mediocre, but the second part is fantastic.
    Fathers Day - An excellent use of time travel within the series, and just a generally very good, emotional story.

Army of Ghosts/Doomsday - Not too deep or meaningful, but I love it. An action packed finale, with some excellent imagery. Very exciting stuff.
    The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit - Not one I've watched very much, but I really liked it, nice mysterious story with some chilling moments, and great effects.
    The Girl in the Fire Place - I didn't like it at first, but it's grown on me. There's not a huge ammount of episodes in this series I count among my favourites, so this is really only on there because I cant think of anything else to put down.

Human Nature/The Family of Blood - One of the series all time best, well written characters, a great villain in 'son of mine', the whole concept of the Doctor becoming human. Everything worked for me.
    Utopia - The return of the Master was brilliant, and it was good to have Jack back. I also like the idea of the end of the universe, and finally seeing a planet other than Earth. I love 'the sound of drums' as well, but hate the finale, so I'll leave those off.
    Gridlock - I really enjoyed this one, it was one of those fun episodes, and the cgi looked great.

Voyage of the Damned, probably...I've not really been keen of any of them though.

Last of the Time Lords - I like about the first half of the episode, but there was too much I didn't like, and it just felt like a huge let down after the previous two episodes. I hate the way everything is resolved.
    Fear Her - Not that bad an episode, I just found it very dull.
    42 - There wasn't that much I liked in it really, and it seemed to go by very slowly.

Return of the Brigadier.
    The return of Davros.
    Less focus on modern day Earth.

I like the action figures, the deluxe Face of Boe is great.

Vanilla's, though I only have two.

I watch Torchwood, but am not overly keen on it. Never seen SJA apart from the pilot, but will get round to it one day.

Hybrid Dalek Sec, who I just found to be this very likeable character, and was sad to see killed.
    The trailer music.
    The Master's drumming, which I do absent mindedly all the time now.
    The Time War, and the fact we still don't know exactly what happened in it.
    The 'arc's' we get each series.

The fact that every finale seems to end with some magic trick and loads of aliens all being destroyed at once, while returning everything to the status quo on Earth.
    Martha falling in love with the Doctor, I'm not against companions falling for him in general, but thought two in a row was overkill, and that she would have been a stronger character without it.
    Lack of alien planets, New Earth looked great, so I think RTD saying that they would be too expensive isn't really accurate.

Franice might pull a gun! So you never know...

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Penny View Post
    [B]The Master's drumming, which I do absent mindedly all the time now.
    Me too!
    One Day, I shall come back, Yes, I shall come back,
    Until them, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties, Just go forward in all your beliefs,
    and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine!

Both were good, but I think Tennant is just that bit better, he has been around a lot longer so we know a lot more about him

Jackie, brilliant comic relief, by loyal to the end (i.e Love and Monsters) she should of become a companion

Martha, we did not really see much of the other Jonses to really get to know them

1st - Daleks. Enough said they where invented almost 45 years ago, and basically have not changed since but still are the best sci fi monsters ever.

2nd - Slittheen. Noone else seems to like them but I love them, they seem to take great delight in the evil plans and that makes them really sinister

3rd - The Master. A brilliant 21st century realization of the doctors greatest foe.

Simms - Jacobi was a bit too old school master. Simm took the role and made it his own, the perfect opposite to tennants doctor.

RTD - he has done so much for the new series, including write most of it

Mark Gattis - his two episodes are just too Trad for me, seem at odds with a lot of the modern stuff in the other episodes, the episodes take themselves too seriously and all the jokes fall flat IMO

3rd - Rose - started the new show, deserves to be loved for that
    2nd - Boom Town - A nice low key look at what happens to the villains after the doctor has left, and the whole morality of the doctors interfering too
    1st - The Empty Child - the first classic of the new series, up to this point the show had been good but this was excellent.

3rd - School Reunion - K9 and Sarah Jane are back need I say more
    2nd - The Impossible Planet - simply breathtaking, imaginative and so atmospheric.
    1st - Doomsday - Daleks vs Cyberman what more could anyone want

3rd - Gridlock - a surprisingly philosophical and intelligent story so early in the run, though I guessed the macra where back I really was not expecting a story like that.

2nd - Human Nature - brilliant adaptation of a most excellent book, so moving and a clear example of what a brilliant actor David is.

1st - Sound of Drums - Love this whole trilogy but this is the strongest episode, the master is just so amazing in this both funny and frightening and the perfect mirror image of the doctor.

Voyage of the Dammed - The Most ambitious to date, with such memorable characters also features wilfred Mott in a cameo which cant be a bad thing

The Shakespeare Code - urrgh not very good, Im not a fan of the celebrity historicals, and this is a fine example why Shakespeare, though no doubt a talented man, is made out to be some uber genus on par with The Doctor a time lord from gallifrey, just smacks of intellectual elitism. The fact the plot feels very familiar too is no help

The Unquiet Dead - the first new series episode that fell a bit flat IMO, takes itself a bit to seriously and feels out of place against the lot more jokey episodes around it

The Long Game - There are some bad episode of who, but even most of the bad ones are watchable in a this is so bad it is good kind of way, but very occasionally you just get a very boring episode, and this sadly is one of them. Some nice ideas, and good acting but its just is not very exciting

The Return of the Slitheen
    The Return of the Master
    The ending of the speeded up credits

The DVD's I can watch the episodes over and over again :d

Box sets, they work out cheaper and I have all the episodes in one place

Yes - Torchwood started off a bit rubbish but got a lot better in series 2. Sarah Jane was just as good as who and its a shame I never got kids shows as clever as it when I was a kid

Doctor who is back on the telly
    Its popularity - I've never know who to be this popular, even now its ratings and AI amaze me
    The re-imaging of foes - nice to see some of our old favorite been given a modern makeover with a decent budget
    The 45 Minute episodes - much easier to watch then the now clunky seeming 25 minute serials
    It knock on affect on other media - without who I doubt we would of got shows such as Robin Hood, Primevil, possibly even the later seasons of Life on Mars its really being a television revolution

1. The Gap year - a whole year with only 3 new episodes
    2. Fandom reaction to the show - in some place you could be forgiven for thinking Doctor Who Fan = someone who hates the so so much they have to remember to take every opportunity to remind people about it
    3. Almost always set in London - though I can understand the reason surely Cardiff could double for other cities (e.g Cardiff) instead of London

Cant think of any more!

Jackie

Christopher Eccleston for me. Tennant is getting better all the time, but for me I’m afraid there are too many silly voice moments or really fast speaking moments. Either way I find I have to re-watch scenes to work out what he actually says!!! I think DT is now very good at the serious stuff, unfortunately a really good serious moments can be spoilt sometimes by silliness (although I guess I should blame the writers for that rather than DT).

Pete – such a nice genuine character. I liked Rose to begin with but found her a bit too much in Series 2.

Martha – I really liked her character (I preferred her to Rose)

In no specific order:
    Judoon – they looked great and weren’t trying to take over the Universe.
    Daleks – I always liked them (apart from when we are subjected to long discussions between them). They now look more solid too!!!!
    Ood – I just like the look of them. I also like the voices they have – even when they are saying quite horrible things they still talk in what is quite a calming voice.

Anthony Ainley – Oops, sorry about that – I can’t help it!!!
    I will say Jacobi. I really liked John Simm’s performance, but have trouble believing it’s the same ‘Master’ that I like so much (even if you allow for a character change due to the regeneration)

Paul Cornell or Steven Moffatt – I just think (so far) that there stories have been more interesting.

Helen Raynor – I feel a bit nasty saying that after just one story, but I do think she could have done better with the Daleks.

I don’t like listing things in order as I often can’t decide on an order, so these are my favourite three (not in order)!!!!
    Father’s Day – just an excellent story, well acted, superb incidental music and I cried!!!!
    Bad Wolf/TPOTW – what a build up – exciting stuff. I agree with Wayne, this has yet to be beaten.
    M T Child/Doc Dances – An all round good yarn, good characters – the invention of Captain Jack too!!!

Tooth and claw – great script (apart from the gag, which interestingly enough wasn’t amusing)!!!
    Impossible Planet/Satan Pit – great setting, large cast (I do like ‘crew’ type casts) and it had a ‘classic series’ feel too it.
    School Reunion – Purely for nostalgia – plus Anthony Head was great casting.

Gridlock – an original, visually impressive story.
    Shakespeare Code – I like the setting and that pretty young witch person!!! There’s something about a very attractive, young female being so powerful and seductive at the same time. I’d have loved to have been that bloke in the opening scenes – I even though he does cop it!!!
    Utopia/Sound of drums/Last of the Timelords - Although I agree with a lot of the negative comments about this story, I do like the performances and the pace of it all. I just kind of watch it in its own bubble and try not to take it too seriously.

VOTD –it felt the most like classic Doctor Who.

Love & Monsters – sorry, hated it – although it’s good in places – it’s simply not Doctor Who (IMO).
    Blink – Better than L&M but not enough of the Doctor. I’m tempted to say Human Nature/Family of blood for the same reason but I can’t because of the superb acting all around in that serial.
    Fear Her – A bit flat, plus I still don’t understand how the alien possessing the little girl was actually able to turn her drawings into real things etc!!!

*More TARDIS involvement and the return of the classic series interior sound effects!!!
    **More cliff-hangers/slower paced stories across more episodes (even if it means less stories in the run)
    ***The destruction of the sonic screwdriver.

Flight control TARDIS (for the same reasons that Pip has stated)

Boxed sets – I don’t see the point of the Vanillas – yes they are cheaper (and the box sets are over-priced) but I don’t see the difference between a vanilla DVD and an off-air recording – apart from a nice case I suppose.

I watched Torchwood 1 and enjoyed it (although I’m not planning on getting the DVD’s). I saw episode 1 of Torchwood 2 but missed the next few while I was in hospital. I will watch them but I didn’t want to see the end of the series before catching up on any episodes that I missed – I have to watch things in order you see!!! I saw the SJS pilot but haven’t caught up on the rest yet – I don’t get a lot of time though and I’m not dying to see it I must admit.

*TARDIS exterior – it’s got to be the best looking Police Box prop used so far.
    **Some of the emotional stuff – I don’t like it on ‘over-kill’ but it’s been great in places – the wife hates it though!!!!
    ***The Delia Derbyshire bits in the theme music.
    ****Some of the incidental music – I know Murray gets some stick, some of which I agree with, but I think there has been some great stuff too.
    *****CGI – again I don’t like it in over-kill, but at times it’s been spectacular.

*It’s too dumbed down – I like my stories to have several layers to them.
    **The TARDIS interior – what’s with the bells, pumps, whistles and interior doors that you have to close by hand!!! Also the Police Box sign being seen from the inside. Did I mention I miss the classic series interior sound effects too???
    ***Single episode 'contained' stories - You don't get a week to wonder what's going to happen, before you know it everything's been sorted and a new story starts!!!

Francine – she’s a lunatic!!!!

I like them both. I wish Eccleston would have hung around longer, and I sometimes wish Tennant would calm down. Still, I dig them both.

Obviously, Rose was the most important to the overall story. Still, I loved watching Mickey’s character grow/mature during the first two series. Though the emotional spotlight wasn’t squarely on him, I believe he stole it on several instances.

Martha. Hands down.

Daleks – Their importance to the Dr Who mythos cannot be denied.
    Cybermen – Same as above. Watching Adrics death as a kid shocked me and weighed heavily upon my young mind. Plus, I personally think they look cooler than the Daleks.
    Master – The cerebral enemy. No alien Who villain here. He is the same. A time-lord, an evil one, who wants to rule all!

I liked Simm’s chemistry with Tennant. I like the duo and feels it belongs with Perwee/Delgado, Davison/Ainley. I hope to see them clash once more before Tennant leaves. Still, I dig Jacobi’s Master… He did very good in his one appearance. I would have loved to see more of him. For some reason, a Jacobi-Master vs. Colin Baker Doctor comes to mind. I have no idea why… maybe a future story?

Moffat – his story’s are magical. Still, I have enjoyed almost all of the story’s of the new Who. There are actually none that I hate, with only a few where I can say something like “well, it was OK…”

Ah… I don’t really have an answer for that one. Everybody has a sore bathroom experience every once in awhile. I’d hate to judge a writer just because I don’t fancy one particular story.

1. Dalek – Man, this episode felt like the bridge that linked the new series to the old. I can’t complain about anything in it. The Dalek, to me, was scary… which I hadn’t seen one since I was a young child give me chills. My opinion of the Daleks, as a grew older, where that they where more like those aliens from the old movie critters. You could see how theyd be dangerous, but garsh darn, there was something cute about ‘em. That opinion changed with Dalek. Here, the Daleks proved to be a threat to the entire universe. It took one lone Dalek, and the acting of Eccleston to show us all that.

2. Empty Child/Doctor Dances – I put these two episodes together because they are one continued story. For some reason, I love it when Jack is on Who, but I bore easily watching him on Torchwood. His debut episode, the Empty Child, I didn’t yet care for him much, but the next episode showed me that we had found a new major character in the Who mythology. When he shows up on Who, I pump my fist in the air and go “oh yeah! Gonna kick some butt now!” Anyway, these episodes had a lot going for them besides Jack. It was dark, the child who wanted his mommy was eerie, and it did, without doubt, have the ABSOLUTE BEST ending to any episode in Who history. I walked away from this, as the Doctor did, with a fantastic smile upon my face.

3. Bad Wolf – Man, the ending of this, where the Doctor was ticked off at the Daleks… WOW. Man! I cannot explain how much I anticipated the next week’s episode. One thing about Eccleston, his acting in the part of Doctor who really brought how some emotions in me. With Tennants Doctor, its been more of the story and my love for Doctor Who, with Eccleston, his acting made me feel what he was feeling. Fantastic!!!!!!!

1. School Reunion – Can we say Sarah Jane? Can we say K-9? Come on… say K-9!!!!!! When I was a child, I had few, if any friends. However, mom noted the loneliness in my life and got me a pet dog whom I cherished as my best friend until he passed away some 15 years later. When I was young, and the Who would come on TV, I would grab my doggie, and with him at my side, watch as the Doctor, with his pet, K-9, would battle the monsters of the universe. At that age, I would often dream up stories where me and my pet would stroll the universe, with my mom and dads bedroom being the TARDIS. When School reunion came on… it reminded me of those special times with my best friend. Seriously, the episode brought a tear to my eye, a smile to my face, and a moment of remembrance for my best friend. To this day, this episode is still emotional for me… in a good way.

2. Tooth and Claw – The Doctor finally facing off against a werewolf. Instead of being an alien, I would have liked to have seen the werewolf be more akin to the more legendary story, of “a man with a curse.” Still, childhood dream here baby!

3. The Girl in the Fireplace – Another A plus story! ‘nuff said.

Blink – Man, this episode was soooo cool. The Angels here, and the lone Dalek from season one, have been the scariest creatures from the new series of Who!

Human Nature/Family of Blood – Read what I wrote about “The Girl in the Fireplace!” Also, we got to briefly see some OTHER Doctors!!!! YAHOOOO!!!

Utopia – Jack and the Master baby!!!!! OH YEAH!

Honestly, I didn’t care for either one story wise. However, Tenants post regenerational troubles were cool, and in line where cool.

Um, 42, Love and Monsters, Gridlock

McCoys and McGanns Doctor (number 7 and 8) NEED TO APPEAR!
    Cybermen from the Old series!
    The Spiders from “Planet of the Spiders.” Man, with todays effects, and the fact kids fear spiders….WHOA! Could it be another “Blink?”
    The Rani
    The Return of Gallifrey… and more stuff from the old series.
    The Brigadier!!!!!
    Dunno. Im in the USA! We don’t have all of the cool Who stuff the Brits have.
    Dimmo. Same as above.
    I have, some…
    Producers picked good actors to play both Doctors.
    That they didn’t start the show anew, that they have kept the old continuity.
    The Doctor hasn’t become a woman.
    Most of the episodes have been fantastic.
    More Tardis action, like flying through space, the streets of London, etc.
    Wish there were more episodes in a season
    Next years hiatus of the series
    A few cracks are showing, example… the pig aliens/mutants from season one and three. Its too similar a characters in two stories that have nothing to do with each other. Stuff like that makes me as a viewer, think that the producers of the show are running out of ideas.
    The fact that with each season, the final story arc has to be bigger and more outrageous than the last. Thing are going to be getting silly if they keep that up… I wish they would worry more about the quality of the story at the end of the season instead of the eye candy.
    Jackie! If Francine starts getting ahead, I’d jump in and help Jackie out! If I didn’t do it, John Goodman would.

WHEW!