Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

6,000 off #1. So close!

60, 000 behind. But just revel in the fact that each of the last two episodes have beaten all of the soaps - #2 for the week (and only beaten by a football tournament final) followed by#1 for the week!

And the final result is in: (From OG)

Official figures released today by the Broadcasters' Audience Research Board confirm that Journey's End, the final episode of Series Four, was the UK's most watched television programme of the week with an official rating of 10.57 million viewers.

It is the first time in Doctor Who's 45 year history that the programme has achieved this position. Not only did the programme top the chart but it did so in style getting more than 1.5 million more than the second placed programme, Mondays Wimbledon coverage. Journey's End got over 2 million more viewers than any episode of Coronation Street and 3 million more than any episode of EastEnders.

This previous highest chart position was achieved by the 2007 Christmas special, Voyage of the Damned, and last week's The Stolen Earth, both of which came second. The highest chart position the classic series achieved was 5th for the second episode of the 1975 Tom Baker story The Ark in Space.

Only 31 episodes of Doctor Who have ever made the top ten, eight starring William Hartnell, one starring Jon Pertwee, one starring Tom Baker, one starring Christopher Eccleston and twenty starring David Tennant.

The high chart position, combined with the outstanding Appreciation Index scores, make the two final episodes of Series 4 undoubtedly the most successful episodes of Doctor Who ever made. With the repeats on BBC3 and the IPlayer downloads included, the final episode has been seen by nearly 13 million viewers within a week of broadcast.

Doctor Who also topped the Multi Channel Chart, with Saturday's Confidential making number one with 1.46 million watching. The Sunday repeat of Journey's End was 2nd with 1.21 million and the Friday repeat of The Stolen Earth got 0.74 million and was the 11th most watched programme.
    Number One! Number One! Wooo! Yay!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

But how can this be? Tennant sux and more folk watched Nimon!

BARB - W/E 06/07/2008
    01 Doctor Who (BBC One) 10.57
    02 Wimbledon (Mon 20.30) (BBC One) 8.80
    03 Coronation Street (Mon 2030) (ITV1) 8.32
    04 Coronation Street (Mon 1930) (ITV1) 8.07
    05 Coronation Street (Fri 1930) (ITV1) 7.86
    06 Coronation Street (Wed) (ITV1) 7.82
    07 Coronation Street (Fri 2030) (ITV1) 7.73
    08 EastEnders (Mon) (BBC One) 7.57
    09 EastEnders (Thurs) (BBC One) 7.48
    10 Wimbledon (Sun 1330) (BBC One) 7.42
    Destroyed the soaps.

For any show, that's an amazing achievement - and TWENTY episodes of Tennant's era in the Top Ten. That's about half isn't it, with the remainder not that far out of the Top Ten either. Awesome!

And number one, what a high for the RTD series to go out on!

Pip Madeley Guest

Well it could've been worse...

What's great for RTD personally is that his run of four episodes at the end of the season all made the Top 5 and just kept going up and up!

Here's some food for thought - Journey's End got almost 150% of the top rated EE episode. Now jump back 20 years and consider that EE got around 20m viewers then - it would be the equivalent of the McCoy episodes getting around 27-28m viewers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonno Simmons View Post
    Here's some food for thought - Journey's End got almost 150% of the top rated EE episode. Now jump back 20 years and consider that EE got around 20m viewers then - it would be the equivalent of the McCoy episodes getting around 27-28m viewers!
    Where's Nathan when you need him? He'd tell you that Battlefield could've managed that back in 1989...

if it had a Radio Times cover and RTD-stylee tabloid spurtings.

According to DWM recently, Battlefield got 31m viewers!

Pip Madeley Guest

So, Series Four:

Not bad.

But my cat (and Nathan) thinks it lacks the gravitarse of classic McCoy and Davison.

Pip Madeley Guest

I know the series is over, but this is interesting:

Saturday Viewing (2nd August)

Casualty - 5.36m (27.4%)
    The National Lottery: This Time Tomorrow - 4.68m (26.9%)
    Last Choir Standing - 3.93m (25.1%)
    Bridget Jones's Diary - 3.79m (20%)
    Foyle's War - 3.26m
    Don't Panic! The Dad's Army Story - 3.05m (15.5%)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a1188...e-punters.html

Just goes to show Doctor Who was doing very well.

Waters of Mars ratings in:
    Overnight ratings: 9.1 million

Si xx

Sounds good but not Earth-shattering (considering it was dark and rainy out and there was no competition on the other channels).

How did it compare with other shows?

Si.

According to Pip it came third behind X Factor and I'm a Celebrity...

Si xx

Pip Madeley Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    According to Pip it came third behind X Factor and I'm a Celebrity...

Si xx
    Indeed, X-Factor was watched by a staggering 16.6m (peak) while I'm A Celeb was was watched by 10.7 million viewers – the highest number for six series.

*Takes deep breath*

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED !

Pip Madeley Guest

Bit more info:

David Tennant's penultimate outing as The Doctor in 'The Waters of Mars' drew 9.13m (33.9%) for BBC One last night, early figures show.

The second of this year's specials, which aired last night in the 7pm hour, topped the Easter Sunday ratings logged by 'Planet of The Dead', which drew a respectable 8.41m (39.6%) back in April.

Over on ITV, The X Factor result show's uninterrupted ratings rise since the live Sunday episodes began came to an end last night, dipping slightly with 14.3m (47.9%) tuning in for Jamie Archer's exit between 8pm and 9pm. Last week, Lucie Jones's shock exit had 14.36m (49.4%).

The series nine opener of I'm A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here from 9pm put in 9.76m (36.1%) in the 90 minutes from 9pm.

Top Gear's return to BBC Two for its 14th series attracted 5.48m (19.1%) at 9pm, before Miranda took 1.74m (7.4%). Earlier in the evening, Ray Mears' Northern Wilderness attracted 1.9m (6.4%).

BBC One's Antiques Roadshow and Garrow's Law: Tales From The Old Bailey put in 5.81m (19.5%) and 4.47m (15.5%) at 8pm and 9pm respectively.

Channel 4's Come Dine With Me logged 1.36m (4.6%), before its 9pm film Flags Of Our Fathers retained 1m (4.6%).

Five's film double bill began with Towering Inferno at 6.50pm, which had 765k (2.7%) between 6.50pm and 9.55pm. Then, comedy Dude, Where's My Car? was watched by 551k (3.4%).

Overall, ITV1 dominated primetime with an average share of 34.6% to BBC One's 21.5%. BBC Two was third with 10.2%, Channel 4 fourth with 3.8% (+1: 0.4%), and Five had 2.5%.

I was kind of expecting 10m overnights, but if it makes 10m finals it's still superb. To put it into perspective, most primetime drama these days gets around 5-6m and is considered a success. ITV's Murderland and Collision and Spooks have been getting around that mark lately.

The Christmas pair should get at least 13-14m overnights. That's my prediction anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    Sounds good but not Earth-shattering (considering it was dark and rainy out and there was no competition on the other channels).
    No real competition, no, but I did expect it was going to suffer with a 1 hour 'lead-in' of Countryfile!
    “If my sons did not want wars, there would be none.” - Gutle Schnaper Rothschild

From The Doctor Who News Page:

The Waters of Mars scored an AI of 88.

The score was the second highest of the weekend, only beaten by Foyles War on ITV1.

The Appreciation Index or AI is a measure of how much an audience enjoyed a programme. The average score for Drama is around 77. For any programme, a score in excess of 85 is excellent. Any score in excess of 90 is exceptional. Any programme that falls below 60 has received a poor AI.

Meanwhile Sunday has been dubbed Super Sunday as the total TV Audience for peak hours was the highest since January 2000.
    Si xx

More details on "Super Sunday" here.

Pip Madeley Guest

Over 12 million tuned into BBC One to see the 3 minute preview of The End of Time on Children in Need last night.

The quarter hour beginning at 8pm had an average audience of 11.9 million viewers on BBC One, the highest peak of the evening on any of the channels. The share was 49.5%. Once the Doctor Who clip had been shown the audience dropped off by 2 million with some viewers switching to ITV1 for Coronation Street. Overall the first section of Children In Need had an average audience of 9.8 million. An additional 260,00 viewers watched the Doctor Who clip on BBC HD, taking the total above 12 million.
    Let's hope those 12 million come back at Christmas!

Final figure for Mars was 10.32m - 5th for the week and only beaten by all the reality TV crap.

Beat all the soaps!

Excellent result!

Si xx