WhiteCrow Guest

Default Comedy Deaths ...

I've just been watching Genesis of the Daleks again with my son. One of the better Dalek stories.

One thing I do find funny though is the death of Garman. The actor waves his hands in the air, and then the negative effect death ray kicks in.

The overall effect always reminds me a bit of Al Jolson ...

Unfortunately death by special effect is pretty tricky stuff, esp when the effect isn't added until post-production, the temptation is all too often to overact.

Anyone else have any favourite comedy deaths in Doctor Who?

It's got to be Graham Crowden in Horns of Nimon - there's no contest!

It won't appeal to everyone, but I find the deaths of Tabby and Tilda in Paradise Towers very amsuing. Being dragged down the waste disposal chute is a great way to go, and could probably only happen in Doctor Who. What makes it even better is seeing their slipper clad feet sticking out of the back of the Cleaners trailer. Well, I laughed!

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    It won't appeal to everyone, but I find the deaths of Tabby and Tilda in Paradise Towers very amsuing. Being dragged down the waste disposal chute is a great way to go, and could probably only happen in Doctor Who. What makes it even better is seeing their slipper clad feet sticking out of the back of the Cleaners trailer. Well, I laughed!

Si xx
    Reading that has just made me realise how much Paradise Towers is very 'New Series' in it concept - I suppose it's quite similar to The Long Game in some respects.

Edited to add: I also guess that gives some credence to the oft quoted view that there's actually a great story lurking under there somewhere - it's just how it was realised (and acted, in some cases) that really let it down.

Isn't the massacre at the start of Ressurection of The Daleks a comedy death acting masterclass? They all fall to the floor very slowly and carefully, some waving their arms about ridiculously and others not bothering.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Tommy Cooper.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    Reading that has just made me realise how much Paradise Towers is very 'New Series' in it concept - I suppose it's quite similar to The Long Game in some respects.

Edited to add: I also guess that gives some credence to the oft quoted view that there's actually a great story lurking under there somewhere - it's just how it was realised (and acted, in some cases) that really let it down.
    Yes, because The Long Game was quality stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
    Yes, because The Long Game was quality stuff...
    I can see how it looks as if I was praising The Long Game, but actually I don't care for it much!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    Anyone else have any favourite comedy deaths in Doctor Who?

I think some of the UNIT soldiers have to be up there in the comedy deaths the way some of them do a double or tripple sommersault when they are killed.

The slow-motion death of the two soldiers shot in Day Of The Daleks was certainly peculiar!

Colonel Archer in 'Resurrection of the Daleks'. What the hell is he doing?

WhiteCrow Guest

Kara's secretary again when killed by the Daleks dies a hideously OTT death, which should be enough to revoke his Equity card in Revelation of the Daleks

Classic over acting.

Kara's secretary again when killed by the Daleks dies a hideously OTT death, which should be enough to revoke his Equity card in Revelation of the Daleks

and Alexi Sales death in the same story wasn't much better either..

The Security Chief in The War Games, an OTT death for a generally OTT character.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Thompson View Post
    The Security Chief in The War Games, an OTT death for a generally OTT character.
    Quite - in fact THE EVIDENCE IS OVERWHELMING!

What about Condo in Brain of Morbius - his stiff, wobbly leg always makes me grin.

This thread reminds me of Davison's comment on the commentary to Resurrection of the Daleks, about the acting gulf between the deaths of characters and the deaths of extras...

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    What about Condo in Brain of Morbius - his stiff, wobbly leg always makes me grin.

This thread reminds me of Davison's comment on the commentary to Resurrection of the Daleks, about the acting gulf between the deaths of characters and the deaths of extras...
    As I said its hard to act to die by special effect. When there is nothing to work with the temptation is to go OTT. I think though many of the worst deaths have been supposed actors over extras.

Perhaps next meeting we should get a camcorder and record peoples attempts at death!

Also, Marcus Scarman's death ("Free, free at last") in Pyramids of Mars is pretty woeful.

As I said its hard to act to die by special effect. When there is nothing to work with the temptation is to go OTT.
    !

couple of deaths in Planet of Evil, are a bit OTT..