Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    WhiteCrow Guest

    Default Comedy Deaths ...

    I've just been watching Genesis of the Daleks again with my son. One of the better Dalek stories.

    One thing I do find funny though is the death of Garman. The actor waves his hands in the air, and then the negative effect death ray kicks in.

    The overall effect always reminds me a bit of Al Jolson ...



    Unfortunately death by special effect is pretty tricky stuff, esp when the effect isn't added until post-production, the temptation is all too often to overact.

    Anyone else have any favourite comedy deaths in Doctor Who?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Torquay
    Posts
    4,613

    Default

    It's got to be Graham Crowden in Horns of Nimon - there's no contest!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bracknell, Berks
    Posts
    29,300

    Default

    It won't appeal to everyone, but I find the deaths of Tabby and Tilda in Paradise Towers very amsuing. Being dragged down the waste disposal chute is a great way to go, and could probably only happen in Doctor Who. What makes it even better is seeing their slipper clad feet sticking out of the back of the Cleaners trailer. Well, I laughed!

    Si xx

    I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Torquay
    Posts
    4,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    It won't appeal to everyone, but I find the deaths of Tabby and Tilda in Paradise Towers very amsuing. Being dragged down the waste disposal chute is a great way to go, and could probably only happen in Doctor Who. What makes it even better is seeing their slipper clad feet sticking out of the back of the Cleaners trailer. Well, I laughed!

    Si xx
    Reading that has just made me realise how much Paradise Towers is very 'New Series' in it concept - I suppose it's quite similar to The Long Game in some respects.

    Edited to add: I also guess that gives some credence to the oft quoted view that there's actually a great story lurking under there somewhere - it's just how it was realised (and acted, in some cases) that really let it down.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    17,646

    Default

    Isn't the massacre at the start of Ressurection of The Daleks a comedy death acting masterclass? They all fall to the floor very slowly and carefully, some waving their arms about ridiculously and others not bothering.
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Sawbridgeworth
    Posts
    25,126

    Default

    Tommy Cooper.

    Si.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Antony Cox View Post
    Reading that has just made me realise how much Paradise Towers is very 'New Series' in it concept - I suppose it's quite similar to The Long Game in some respects.

    Edited to add: I also guess that gives some credence to the oft quoted view that there's actually a great story lurking under there somewhere - it's just how it was realised (and acted, in some cases) that really let it down.
    Yes, because The Long Game was quality stuff...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Torquay
    Posts
    4,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
    Yes, because The Long Game was quality stuff...
    I can see how it looks as if I was praising The Long Game, but actually I don't care for it much!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wokingham
    Posts
    7,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    Anyone else have any favourite comedy deaths in Doctor Who?

    I think some of the UNIT soldiers have to be up there in the comedy deaths the way some of them do a double or tripple sommersault when they are killed.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Loughton
    Posts
    11,393

    Default

    The slow-motion death of the two soldiers shot in Day Of The Daleks was certainly peculiar!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    1,256

    Default

    Colonel Archer in 'Resurrection of the Daleks'. What the hell is he doing?

  12. #12
    WhiteCrow Guest

    Default

    Kara's secretary again when killed by the Daleks dies a hideously OTT death, which should be enough to revoke his Equity card in Revelation of the Daleks

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Valhalla.
    Posts
    15,393

    Default

    Classic over acting.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wokingham
    Posts
    7,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    Kara's secretary again when killed by the Daleks dies a hideously OTT death, which should be enough to revoke his Equity card in Revelation of the Daleks

    and Alexi Sales death in the same story wasn't much better either..

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sittingbourne, Kent, UK
    Posts
    2,403

    Default

    The Security Chief in The War Games, an OTT death for a generally OTT character.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Torquay
    Posts
    4,613

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Thompson View Post
    The Security Chief in The War Games, an OTT death for a generally OTT character.
    Quite - in fact THE EVIDENCE IS OVERWHELMING!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Downstairs by the PC
    Posts
    13,189

    Default

    What about Condo in Brain of Morbius - his stiff, wobbly leg always makes me grin.

    This thread reminds me of Davison's comment on the commentary to Resurrection of the Daleks, about the acting gulf between the deaths of characters and the deaths of extras...

  18. #18
    WhiteCrow Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    What about Condo in Brain of Morbius - his stiff, wobbly leg always makes me grin.

    This thread reminds me of Davison's comment on the commentary to Resurrection of the Daleks, about the acting gulf between the deaths of characters and the deaths of extras...
    As I said its hard to act to die by special effect. When there is nothing to work with the temptation is to go OTT. I think though many of the worst deaths have been supposed actors over extras.

    Perhaps next meeting we should get a camcorder and record peoples attempts at death!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Downstairs by the PC
    Posts
    13,189

    Default

    Also, Marcus Scarman's death ("Free, free at last") in Pyramids of Mars is pretty woeful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Wokingham
    Posts
    7,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post
    As I said its hard to act to die by special effect. When there is nothing to work with the temptation is to go OTT.
    !

    couple of deaths in Planet of Evil, are a bit OTT..

Similar Threads

  1. CC 6.4: The Many Deaths of Jo Grant
    By Anthony Williams in forum Big Finish and BBC Audios
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10th Nov 2011, 1:53 PM
  2. When Comedy Goes Horribly Wrong
    By Alex in forum Film and Television
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23rd Feb 2009, 1:30 PM
  3. Comedy Trek posters ...
    By WhiteCrow in forum Picture Gallery
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 21st Dec 2008, 1:27 AM
  4. Rating Comedy Movies
    By Ralph in forum Film and Television
    Replies: 150
    Last Post: 21st Aug 2008, 1:26 AM
  5. Favourite Comedy Show!
    By Dirk Gently in forum Film and Television
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11th May 2008, 9:36 PM