WhiteCrow Guest

Default Favourite songs by Legendary singers ...

The Legendary Groups went down so well, I thought I'd do PART TWO.

This time I'm naming singers. Some of these singers have been in bands, so you can pick any song they've done as a solo artist or part of a band.

So for John Lennon, you've got his collection of solo songs, and the Beatles too - tough call.

Most importantly - give reasons for your choices, that's what makes it fun!

1) Elvis

2) David Bowie

3) John Lennon

4) Madonna

5) Kylie Minogue

6) Freddie Mercury

7) George Michael

8) Kate Bush

9) Debbie Harry

10) Johnny Cash

11) Tina Turner

12) Robbie Williams

13) "Oh the sacrelige" - Who did I miss from the list that you feel should be here?
    Last edited by WhiteCrow; 14th Apr 2008 at 11:27 PM.

WhiteCrow Guest

1) Elvis

His Latest Flame. Why? I have no idea, but it's definitely my favourite of his songs.

2) David Bowie

A toss between Starman (which is a bit crazy) or Life on Mars. Life on Mars wins because it's just an amazing track, a real aural experience.

3) John Lennon

A lot of people are going to say Imagine I know. But I'm going to go with Woman. Partly because the line "farewell, now and forever" was haunting in the way it was used the day he was killed. But mainly it's a very beautiful song - the only thing wrong is you know he's thinking of Yoko when he's singing it ...

4) Madonna

Not really a fan. But I'd go with Broken. I liked the whole Ray of Light era reinvention. Like I say don't like her pop songs, but when she does these slower songs, you're aware she is a very talented singer. It's a nice melody.

5) Kylie Minogue

I was going to go with Where the Wild Roses go. Which is a wierd song. But I'm going to go with "Come Into My World", which is one of the sexiest songs in the world the way she sings it.

6) Freddie Mercury

"Dont stop me now" because my wife sang it to me, and I find it easy to fall in love with a woman who sings to me ...

7) George Michael

I'm sure there must be at least one of his songs I like even a bit. Maybe.

8) Kate Bush

This is one which will split people. You either love or hate Kate, no middle ground. The song is Rockets Tale from Sensual World.

If you hate her then all you here in this song is a lot of wailing. If you love her, there's lot of layers going on and it feels a pretty unique song.

9) Debbie Harry

Rapture. Her singing on it is really good, although the early form of rapping is a bit unfortunate.

10) Johnny Cash

His Hurt was superb. There are a lot of other songs I could name, but he turned his swansong into a tour de force.

11) Tina Turner

River Deep, Mountain Wide. Just a great rocking song with a lot of power and passion to it.

12) Robbie Williams

Angels is a bit obvious isn't it? Besides when he sings "she offers me protection", I always think of an Angel of Condoms. I just ruined that song for a lot of people.

Probably Feel then, which I think has a reasonable ammount of depth to it.

13) "Oh the sacrelige" - Who did I miss from the list that you feel should be here?

I know I bore people about how good Regina Spektor is (or Virgina Inspector as Pip calls her), but she's not mainstream enough - neither alas is Shakira. I was going to put Shirley Bassey here, but she didn't make the final cut.

Wayne Guest

1) Elvis - Arrggh! Just one?! erm..... 'Heartbreak Hotel' then. (today, anyway)

2) David Bowie - 'Space Oddity'

3) John Lennon - None.

4) Madonna - None.

5) Kylie Minogue - 'Can't Get You Outta My Head'

6) Freddie Mercury - I don't know any!

7) George Michael - None. (Gimme a break!)

8) Kate Bush - Not really a fan, but didn't mind 'The Man With the Child In His Eyes'

9) Debbie Harry - Never heard any of her solo stuff.

10) Johnny Cash - A Thing Called Love

11) Tina Turner - None

12) Robbie Williams - 'Kharma Killer'

13) "Oh the sacrelige" - Led Zeppelin - 'Since I've Been Loving You'

Pip Madeley Guest

1) Elvis - I'm not a big fan, but Suspicious Minds is good.

2) David Bowie - Life On Mars is a classic.

3) John Lennon - Obvious, but Imagine.

4) Madonna - Take A Bow is a personal fave.

5) Kylie Minogue - Come Into My World is another personal fave, though I'll make a special mention for Never Too Late too.

6) Freddie Mercury - Living On My Own. Tune.

7) George Michael - Shoot The Dog. I love the Human League sample mixed in.

8) Kate Bush - Army Dreamers went down well on Saturday.

9) Debbie Harry - Blondie, you mean? I'll pick Heart of Glass.

10) Johnny Cash - No thanks.

11) Tina Turner - Goldeneye.

12) Robbie Williams - No Regrets, a classic Britpop-era single.

13) Phil Collins - Groovy Kind Of Love. Superb.

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pip Madeley View Post
    9) Debbie Harry - Blondie, you mean? I'll pick Heart of Glass.
    Oh well if he means Blondie, 'Picture This' is an old personal fave.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteCrowUK View Post

This time I'm naming singers. Some of these singers have been in bands, so you can pick any song they've done as a solo artist or part of a band.
    Read the instructions, old man
    Bazinga !

1) Elvis
    Always On My Mind. Many singers have done this one, but there's something extra special about the King's version.

2) David Bowie
    I was tempted to say Little Drummer Boy... I'm not a huge fan of Bowie, and even those songs of his that I like are more in a "can't get it out of my head" kind of way, rather than just plain enjoyment. I'll go for Life on Mars.

3) John Lennon
    Whitecrow's suggestion of Woman is one I'd agree with. It's on the one hand a very simple song, but it's very melodic, and very moving. I can't honestly say I associate it with the day he was killed, as I'd genuinely never heard of John Lennon until that day. :embarass

4) Madonna
    I'm not sure I've got the title right, but I think it's called Love Parade. Failing that (and if it turns out that that isn't even a Madonna song anyway) then Beautiful Stranger is oddly haunting.

5) Kylie Minogue
    Put Your Hand on Your Heart.

6) Freddie Mercury
    Don't Stop Me Now. I know, a predictable choice, but it's a great song.

7) George Michael
    I don't think I can name any George Michael tracks, so although he's clearly had a glittering and hugely-successful solo career I'm going to plump for Last Christmas.

8) Kate Bush
    Slightly at a tangent, but a mate once told me that The Man With The Child In His Eyes (which is a very strong song) was about child abuse. Was he making it up, or is there some truth to that? Either way, I'm going for Wuthering Heights, for a combination of nostalgia and the fact that I think it's such an unusual, but memorable, track.

9) Debbie Harry
    Don't know about her solo stuff, so it's Blondie's Maria for me.

10) Johnny Cash
    Again, not a huge fan, but Don't Take Your Guns To Town.

11) Tina Turner
    Sorry TT fans, but I can't stand her - like a more annoying, more toothy Elsie Tanner.

12) Robbie Williams
    Mork and Mindy. Or if that doesn't count then whatever the song is called that includes the lyrics about Marlon Brando passing away. Sorry, but like Harry Sullivan I'm terribly bad on names...

What about Frank Sinatra, or Jim Reeves, or Bob Dylan?

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Oh well if he means Blondie, 'Picture This' is an old personal fave.
    Well she did a few solo songs, "French kissing in the USA". But as mentioned, you can go for a solo song or a song with a band.

I was thinking of adding Damon Albarn - he's been a member of many a band - Blur, Gorillaz and the good the bad and the Queen.

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Curnow View Post
    8) Kate Bush
    Slightly at a tangent, but a mate once told me that The Man With The Child In His Eyes (which is a very strong song) was about child abuse.
    For some reason I've always hummed it as "Eeeew he's here again. The man with his eyes on a child".

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    Read the instructions, old man
    Pip's not that old.

1) Elvis - Devil in Disguise (or anything from the Lilo & Stitch soundtrack)

2) David Bowie - Life on Mars for sure (I could just about play it at one time)

3) John Lennon - don’t like any of his solo stuff (don’t really like his voice) so Strawberry Fields

4) Madonna - Don’t Cry for Me Argentina (coz its already a damn fine song)

5) Kylie Minogue - Kids (Robbie ! Robbie !!)

6) Freddie Mercury - Barcelona (a staggering performance)

7) George Michael - Club Tropicana (best of a bad lot)

8) Kate Bush - Don’t Give Up (nice duet with PG)

9) Debbie Harry - French Kissin’

10) Johnny Cash - Hurt - for an incredibly powerful video

11) Tina Turner - Private Dancer - again, only tolerable

12) Robbie Williams - Let Me Entertain You (coz I laugh so much when my kids do it on Singstar Popworld)

Well, who didn’t you miss as vocalists - Peter Gabriel, Elton John, Tom Jones, Sting, Enya, Billy Joel, Fish, Mark Knopfler

Oh well if I can only have one its Meat Loaf - very difficult to choose one, but for best vocal performance I’d go For Crying Out Loud
    Bazinga !

1) Elvis
    Suspicious Minds.

2) David Bowie
    Ashes to Ashes

3) John Lennon
    I am the Walrus

4) Madonna
    Ray of Light

5) Kylie Minogue
    In Your Eyes

6) Freddie Mercury
    Killer Queen

7) George Michael
    Freedom (The Wham one!)

8) Kate Bush
    The Man With The Child in His Eyes

9) Debbie Harry
    Heart of Glass

10) Johnny Cash
    Don't know his work I'm afraid

11) Tina Turner
    Steamy Windows

12) Robbie Williams
    Let Me Entertain You

You've got John Lennon, where's George Harrison? If you'd had him on the list I'd have chosen When We Was Fab!

Si xx
    Last edited by SiHart; 15th Apr 2008 at 10:14 AM.

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

1) Elvis - I'm no fan of Elvis at all, but I quite like 'Always on my Mind', far better than the Pet Shop Boys version.

2) David Bowie - Life on Mars. Again, I'm no fan, but he has done a few good songs such as Ashes to Ashes and Starman.

3) John Lennon - Imagine. I love the song. Even with all the Beatles tracks to choose from this song gets my vote.

4) Madonna - I tend to fall in and out of love with Madonna songs, but the most enduring one has been Frozen, so I'll go with that.

5) Kylie Minogue - Kids is the best of a dull old bunch of turds.

6) Freddie Mercury - Although not my favourite Queen song, I'll go with Who Wants to Live Forever as it shows Freddie's voice off to perfection.

7) George Michael - Father Figure. I quite liked this song the first time I heard it.

8) Kate Bush - None really. I'll say Wuthering Heights but they're all a bit meh!

9) Debbie Harry - Atomic shades it from Heart of Glass and Sunday Girl. I love most Blondie songs though, but Atomic is that little bit better.

10) Johnny Cash - None whatsoever. If I listen to Countery & Western it tends to be to Don Williams.

11) Tina Turner - Nutbush City Limits. I prefer the older songs of TGina Turner than I do her 1980's reinvention.

12) Robbie Williams - Let Me Entertain You. Again I'm no fan but that's tolerable at least.

13) "Oh the sacrelige" - Who did I miss from the list that you feel should be here? - Michael Jackson - Human Nature. So good, a couple of singers have ripped the tune off for their own songs.

WhiteCrow Guest

Seems George Michael's inclusion has been a bit unpopular - even from me - I try and be balanced and put down people who I feel deserve it, even if not personal favourites.

But as someone has said I feel terrible to have forgotten Elton John in favour of George Michael - ooops. Such lists are scribbled down on the back of an envelope and never definitive.

Thankfully I included the "oh the sacrelidge" question so you could correct me on how wrong my list was!

Quote Originally Posted by SiHart View Post
    You've got John Lennon, where's George Harrison? If you'd had him on the list I'd have chosen When We Was Fab!

Si xx
    Personally I'd have gone with "My Sweet Lord", which is a superb track.

Well she did a few solo songs, "French kissing in the USA". But as mentioned, you can go for a solo song or a song with a band.

I was thinking of adding Damon Albarn - he's been a member of many a band - Blur, Gorillaz and the good the bad and the Queen.
    Big Blondie fan here, and as the band themselves said "Blondie was the name of a band". In other words shouldn't they have been under the group thread really?
    Anyway, I'll go with it...

[QUOTE=WhiteCrowUK;103683]The Legendary Groups went down so well, I thought I'd do PART TWO.

So for John Lennon, you've got his collection of solo songs, and the Beatles too - tough call.

Most importantly - give reasons for your choices, that's what makes it fun!

1) Elvis "You're the devil in disguise"- it's a catchy and makes me want to dance around with a mop. Which is a good thing let me tell you.

2) David Bowie- Oooo, spoilt for choice...I'll say "Heroes" (the full length album version mind), for it's Eno assosted brilliant vision of triumph in the face of adversity. I'm into that kind of thing.

3) John Lennon- If we're talking solo, then I'll say "Just like starting over", as it's quite romantic and cheesy at the same time, which appeals. I find Lennon's solo music doesn't appeal as much as Macca's though.

4) Madonna- "Open your heart". It really gets me going. A transient piece of pop that seems to transcend it's origins and envoke a real sense of power in me...or something.

5) Kylie Minogue- "What do I have to do". All that yearning and catchy choris combined. I love the idea of dreaming of someone and imagining how you've made love to them long before they even know you fancy them!

6) Freddie Mercury- Sorry, but no. Queen aren't a big favourite and his solo stuff leaves me cold.

7) George Michael- Not a fan I have to say.

8) Kate Bush- Lots to choose from, but "Sat in your lap" is my favourite. It starts like a face off at a drum convention and just utterly bonks out from thereon. I love the song's sentiment too.

9) Debbie Harry- Solo? "I can see clearly" from 1993's "Debravation". It's an affirming, catchy moment!

10) Johnny Cash- It's gotta be "Folsom prison blues" cause I just love that album boy!

11) Tina Turner- She was only ever decent with Ike (musically speaking of course!)....controversial opinion perhaps, but it won't stop Phil Spectors WALL
    OF SOUND taking "River deep, mountain high" to heights unsurpassed in even his catalogue. It's going to be my wedding song! (If the time comes, obviously!)

12) Robbie Williams. None!

If you're ging to have a list of singers you make damn sure you don't miss a few names off. Where are the "real" SINGERS from any genre in all recorded music?! Non eof these band front folk gone solo. I'm talking Nina Simone, Dusty Springfield, Sandy Denny, Robert Plant, Dean Martin, Tom Jones...

But I have to have Frank Sinatra though, and my choice would be "In the wee small hours of the morning". A lovely, bittersweet tale of love and regret.

Shame on you for missing Frank off a list of singers!

WhiteCrow Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Baynes View Post
    Big Blondie fan here, and as the band themselves said "Blondie was the name of a band". In other words shouldn't they have been under the group thread really?
    Well I did criminally omit Blondie last time. Under the vague-y rules of this one you could go for Blondie.

7) George Michael- Not a fan I have to say.
    I'm really regretting having him on this list. Like I say just cos I don't like him - I didn't realise that for once I wasn't in a minority!

Sat in your lap" is my favourite.
    Typical Carol!

Shame on you for missing Frank off a list of singers!
    It's a good point - I try and draw up a list of singers/groups with a generally well known back catalogue, and avoid listing just my own favourites.

But you've come up with a good list there. I'd be awfully tempted to tack Kirsty McColl onto that list as well.

Typical Carol!
    Me in my bedroom, yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEVMfG8z490