Thread: Film 2008/09

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Film 2008/09

A new thread specifically for movies that don't fit any of the other categories

Coming up shortly from me:

Two Minute Warning (1976)
    Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)

You can't beat another film thread

Wayne Guest

Good idea Ralph!
    My viewing for today/tonight is laid out on the DWA thread, but i'll have some contributions for this thread after the weekend.

Wayne Guest

I've just finished a 'background' viewing of Zeta One, which as predicted was crap, but at least i now know that Yutte Stensgard is not a natural blonde.

How very revealing

Sounds, er, interesting.

Wayne Guest

Is that your first choice off the list then? It's a seriously crap, boring film in every other respect........

Assault on Precinct 13 (1976) (mild spoilers)

Love the intro music but it needs good speakers - it's too tinny on my laptop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNfDS...eature=related

"Police ambush and kill several gang members in Los Angeles. Gang members make a pact of blood to strike back at police, and conduct a siege on the police station which is almost abandoned and due to be closed. Staff of the closing precinct and the criminals being held there while in transit must work together to fight off the attacking gang members."

I remember when I saw this on TV the first time in the early 80s I was blown away by it's sheer bleakness. I guess you do consider a Police Station a safe retreat.... but clearly not here

All the actors seem to have made little impact after the movie which I was a bit surprised by or maybe it's really just Carpenter's excellent direction that makes this a joy to watch.

It achieves a seige atmosphere as well as any movie I've seen in this genre - I love the use of the silencers and the fact all casualties are shifted so it looks like nothings happened.

The sequences at the ice cream van must have been shocking on the movie's release - there's no holds barred here!

It's definitely one of Carpenter's finest movies in my book and shows what you can do on a low budget where creativity on the score and the direction can make for a powerful end product, Sadly in these recent years Carpenter now has all the budget but no creativity left it would seem

I'd give this one 9/10 - definitely a well paced entertaining movie
    Last edited by Ralph; 22nd Apr 2008 at 11:29 PM.

Wayne Guest

It's changed from 8/10 to 9/10 in a few minutes.
    Looks interesting though. I'm planning to do those WWII/submarine films next, but i'll be getting around to this one & those others you loaned me in due course.

Yes I decided it really deserves a 9

Two Minute Warning (1976)

"A psychotic man, armed with a hunting rifle and acting alone, goes on a sniping spree and is hunted by the police and a SWAT team. Sniper and SWAT converge at a crowded major-league football game, where at the two-minute warning shots ring out and mass panic ensues"

Apparently on release this movie created a bit of a stir and was blocked for screening in this format - I find it hard to believe now though. I wanted to see this one for it's star Chuck Heston but it's really a movie which has plenty of familiar faces and really doesn't use them in my view to any great effect. This is a good film to compare with the previous one also made in '76 and without "stars". TMW basically follows the usual disaster movie formula by getting us involved with the characters so presumably we feel some sense of loss as they get picked off.

I was disappointed as I recalled it being better but it lacks real drama which it ought to have in my view.

I'd give it 4.5/10

Love AOP13, mean, moody and magnificent - real suspenseful drama using limited actors and sets, and with antagonists off camera for a goodly chunk of the movie. I know what you mean about the bleakness Ralph - "But but but when you get to the cop shop you should be safe!?" was about my reaction too at the time.

Oh and as a fan of movie scores, you've got to love John Carpenter's score too.

Can't say I've seen Two Minute Warning from memory, and from your description sounds pretty much like the tag for a modern yawnsome blockbuster.

Oh and Wayne - looking forward to those sub reviews!

Wayne Guest

Cheers Gaz. Just for your info, it's 'Run Silent, Run Deep', 'The Enemy Below', & 'Sink the Bismark!' coming up.

Welcome to the thread and the forum Gaz - good to see another view!

Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    good to see another view!
    And another avatar.

Sink the Bismark? Isn't the song they cut from the Blues Brothers? (he said having never actually having seen the infamous comedy movie...)

Earthquake (1974)

"Construction Engineer Stuart Graff is estranged from his jealously possessive wife, Remy, and has an affair with Denise Marshall, the widow of a co-worker. Meanwhile, Remy tries to persuade her father, Sam Royce, who is Stuart's employer, to use his influence to stop Stuart from seeing Denise. Rogue policeman Lew Slade is suspended from the L.A.P.D. for having punched an obtuse officer from another jurisdiction. Embittered, Slade contemplates quitting the police force. Jody, a perverted grocery store manager, lusts after Rosa Amici, sister of Sal, the assistant to Miles Quade, an aspiring daredevil motor cyclist. The lives of all these people are devastated when a major earthquake rips through Los Angeles and reduces the city to ruins."

Continuing with another Chuck Heston one, this one again like Two Minute Warning uses his reputation to draw in the audience. I remember seeing this one at the Cinema in glorious sensurround The only other movie I saw in Sensurround was "Rollercoaster" made 3 years later. I loved the disclaimer that they took no responsibilty for those of a nervous disposition - it added to all the excitement Basically Sensurround as I understand it was just mega cinema woofers that would vibrate the theatre in line in this case with the tremors. As an 11 year old at the time I enjoyed the experience but at that age I did recognise that this film was more about effects rather than solid story and script which was much more the case with competitor blockbuster and disaster movie of the same year "Towering Inferno". The problem for these movies is that because special effects are one of the "stars" they inevitably become dated however great performances from the actors stand the test of time in my view particularly where some of the finest stars are involved.

Earthquake certainly boasts many famous names as well as Heston, there's George Kennedy, Ava Gardner, Genevieve Bujold (looking gorgeous here), Walter Matthau (cameo part), Victoria Principal (before she was famous), Bonanza's Lorne Greene and more. Not as many as "Towering Inferno" which clearly had so much budget it could dispense with stars at any point.

Earthquake has the nostalgia factor for me so I feel like being kind to it... however I have to admit like "Two Minute Warning" the narrative of the characters can be a bit dull because it's just there to build up a story inevitable with all disaster movies because the premise is the thrills of "the event".

Special effects wise you need to be sympathetic to the limitations of the era but I do think the collapse of the lift and the crash at the bottom was poor even for the era though I will be checking out "Towering" soon to see if this is a fair view. The bursting dam is not bad and the various falling bits of masonry is handled not too badly. I liked the matted backgrounds showing the burning skyscrapers while in the foreground the action takes place.

I think making a successful disaster movie really must be a tough job - in recent years I think a classic example of making an a**e of it must be "Pearl Harbour" so it's not confined to the 70s. I think "Titanic" certainly on release was a good example of making a successful disater movie as I really felt involved with that one when I saw it at the cinema back in '97.

So for me Earthquake is a curio of the 70s, the poor relation of "Towering Inferno". Only those sympathetic to the Disaster movie genre will have time for this one as it could be heavily slated otherwise even back on first release. A key criticism being some of the cliched characters and dodgy script. Although Chuck gets to try a few lines from another script

My verdict, with the nostalgia of it all and my introduction to Chuck with whom I was unfamiliar on first viewing this movie I'll give it 5.5/10
    Last edited by Ralph; 23rd Apr 2008 at 1:15 PM.

Earthquake - woah, a blast from the past and classic wet sunday afternoon on the telly fodder. My memories of it are mostly watching it as chewing gum for the eyes. Sure always good to watch Chuck and George K too (did that man ever look like he was having a good day?).

But agree totally - the Towering Inferno I can easily call to mind scenes from, Earthquake...less so.
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical

Wayne Guest

The Enemy Below (1957)

Excellent performances from Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens There's real depth of character here with a great script - you really feel empathy with both sides - each with a job to do with no real pleasure in destroying the enemy other than requiring to carry out their duties. I like movies that show us the shades of grey like this. It starts off slowly in the first half hour and then maintains pace as a gripping drama. Nice too that this one's in colour than just black and white. You get a feel for how the sub would feel like a watery coffin as the depth charges are released. I liked the moment where Jurgen's U-boat captain raises morale among his men and I liked the ending too. I'd give this one 7/10.
    Run Silent, Run Deep (1958)

Following hot on the heels of "The Enemy Below" this was made in black and white not colour and it does make it feel an older film. The major difference is that we don't have a similar view of the two enemies instead it's more about the clash between Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster. In this one the Sub is manned by americans and the enemy are Japanese not German.

The acting of Gable and Lancaster is very good indeed and setting them off against each other from outset makes for a great story to unfold.

To make a comparison with "The Enemy Below" I think is difficult as they each offer something different. This movie I thought seemed to end too soon just as the excitement builds it seems to be over - I felt more satisfied with Enemy Below in this regard.

I would give this one a 6.5/10 - just a shade less - nevertheless an entertaining 90 minutes with good pacing throughout
    I watched both these today, except the other way around. Being familiar with 'The Enemy Below' as an old favourite, i was curious first to see what 'Run Silent, Run Deep' had to offer.

Run Silent, Run Deep

Of course you're spot on Ralph in your observation that the clash is between the two officers played by Clark Gable & Burt Lancaster. The film doesn't quite the same level of tension as 'The Enemy Below', but it does ratch up the tension quite a lot once the Jap sub turns up, & i also enjoyed the tactical manouvering by Gable's character, who was obsessed with avenging the destruction of his old crew.
    I thought the good performances of the two leads, in particular, Burt Lancaster, carried this film well. I'm not familiar at all with Clark Gable's work, even though he had made his fame as a much younger actor, but i thought he also gave a fine performance as the more senior officer. The obsessive, but very clever & calculated behaviour of the character reminded me of 'The Bedford Incident', & the way that Richard Widmark's character was at odds with his crew.
    All in all, i found this an enjoyable film which didn't flag. I think this derserves at least a 7/10.

The Enemy Below

Star Trek's early classic 'Balance of Terror', where Kirk first encounters the Romulans borrows heavily from this classic movie, from the similar plot devices, right down even to bits of dialouge. 'He's a Devil!'. Mark Lenard's Romulan Commander is quite clearly influenced by Curt Jurgens excellent portrayal as the U-Boat Captain. Robert Mitchum is good, but for me it's the intensity that Jurgens brings to his character that is one of the major highlights of this film.
    This story gets going fairly quickly compared to 'Run Silent, Run Deep', & the level of tension gradually increases, creating a compelling viewing experience for the viewer that doesn't let up until the end of the film. The tension on the submarine is palpable, & in many ways unequalled until 'Das Boot' came along many years later. You really feel that the U-Boat crew are very much up against, & i can't help cheering internally with them when they finally manage to score that one hit. And i loved the morale raising rcord playing scene!
    But of course clever Captain Kirk, oops, Robert Mitchum, finally outwits his opponent with the old 'play dead' routine.
    I think this is a really great movie. I've seen it several times over the years, & it never fails to entertain. I do have some mixed feelings about the slightly 'buddy' ending between the two Commanders. It's played well, but i always felt that it would've been more realistic if the U-Boat had been destroyed, or the german captain had defiantly gone down with his sub. Nevertheless, it doesn't spoil an enjoyable movie. 8/10.

I definitely think Enemy Below is the better of the two as you say for that Curt Jurgens performance on the whole which is really engaging

I love that glance he gives to his second in command as he clocks the nazi devoted officer reading "Mein Kampf"

His performance simply has a lot of depth!

Glad it's not just me that knows about that Star Trek link, possibly my love of a good claustraphobic sub movie is the reason behind my particular fondness of that episode. If anything a rarity in TV SF - where it's all on the visuals, it's all on what we can't see that makes it.

Anyway, back on topic with the films - it has been decades, easily, since I last saw either of the two films (which is a damned shame!), so the potted histories above are much appreciated. Now to find one of the movie channels showing either of 'em!
    Creator of Doctor WHeasel and sometime political radical

Well Wayne has another movie to watch where Curt Jurgens captures a submarine so I'll await some views on that. Other Sub activity coming up on this thread will be "Gray Lady Down" from 1978.

Wayne Guest

Well Wayne has another movie to watch where Curt Jurgens captures a submarine so I'll await some views on that.
    Well i've just recieved 4 more from RalphDVDr.com.
    Which is the other Curt Jurgens one, Ralph?

this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJHf4...eature=related

a fabulous theme tune too!

Wayne Guest

Oh of course. Doh! It's ages since i've seen it.

Well Monday 5 May is a Bank holiday