Pip Madeley Guest

Default Davies rubbishes 'influential gay' title

Russell T Davies has said that a poll naming him the most influential gay person in the UK is rubbish. The Doctor Who executive producer topped a 2007 list in the Independent, but Davies described the title as "demeaning". The newspaper described Davies as a "genius" who had made "Saturday evening telly compulsory again".

Speaking to the Pink Paper, Davies said: "B******s, am I hell! I had nothing to do with that decision. I mean I hope, I think, I do good work and I’ll be very visible as a gay man because I think that’s very important, but in terms of being influential when there are people out there fighting for changes in the law, homophobia in schools. That’s influence."

He added: "What’s influential? I mean it’s a funny old question, who’s the most influential straight person in the world? We don’t apply that question to straight people. The category itself is slightly demeaning."
    Mr Davies is not impressed!

WhiteCrow Guest

Well he is covertly slipping the population his secret and dastardly gay agenda. I think his cover has been blown.

He has a point though, some of these awards can be a bit silly. They almost always go to celebrities because they're most visible, but it doesn't always mean they've campaigned and had the hardest fight.

That said there can be no doubt he's also kind of a positive role model. And he does speak very passionately about things, even if it's usually the most awful episode of Torchwood ever.

He might be the most influencial very tall gay Welsh person though. If that means anything.

Captain Tancredi Guest

Well, for a start he's only the most influential out gay person in Britain...there may be other people out there who wield much more influence but don't choose to be a standard bearer. I suppose the Independent are probably looking for people who have an effect on everyday mainstream life, in which case RTD probably walked into the title, not least by being one of the most visible gay people in today's media- the man can't go a week without giving half a dozen interviews- but at the same time having worked through his gay baggage in 'Queer as Folk', he's gone on to write other things with mass appeal.

Wayne Guest

I mean it’s a funny old question, who’s the most influential straight person in the world? We don’t apply that question to straight people. The category itself is slightly demeaning."
    I think he's got a point.

I wonder what stunts Peter Tatchell is hatching for 2008 so he can bitterly steal back RTD's crown
    Bazinga !

Perhaps he's actually got 'gay influenza'. The poor man!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Wayne's post, quote and comment, was exactly what I was going to put to the exact wording!

Si.

Everybody has a point these days.

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.