Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Which Hartnell Stories would you recommend?

I was never a massive fan of the Hartnell era and my collection starts from Troughton onwards. I've recently changed my opinion and would like to buy a few videos/dvds from this era, but I'm not really familiar with any. I want to buy maybe 3 or 4 t start with and perhaps more later on. Which stories would you recommend? Thanks.

I'd start off with The Time Meddler - of the Hartnell releases out there at the moment (on DVD anyway) I'd say it's probably the most 'viewer-friendly'. That is to say, it does crack on at a fair pace, as opposed to (say) The Web Planet which is rather slow-moving in places. Although Dalek Invasion of Earth is good too.

Mind you, not everybody is a fan of every era, so you might still find that, for whatever reason, the Hartnell stories don't quite 'do it' for you, Heather.

The Time Meddler is a fun choice, but overall it depends what kind of mood you're in. What you really need is a long, quiet and rainy weekend to sit down and watch The Daleks. Provided you're reasonably awake, watching it late at night can be very atmospheric!

The very first episode (not quite the pilot) is easy to watch too.

The audios of Galaxy 4 and The Daleks Masterplan also come highly recommended, both of which benefit hugely from being sound only!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

As has been mentioned twice already, Time Meddler is an easy going story to start with. Daleks and Dalek Invasion of Earth are both a little long, so if you watch stories in one go, I'd wait a bit, but if you watch them in small chinks these two would be good choices.

I'm rather fond of the Aztecs myself

Actually I find that the Time Meddler can drag a little bit, but I think the opening TARDIS scene is one of the funniest things ever (for some reason) so I'd recommend it.

I also really liked the audio of Marco Polo. But some people don't like that, and also it's an audio, and hardly representative of the rest of the stuff, so maybe not.

And in my opinion you can't go wrong with the Gunfighters, but that's slightly controversial

But really nothing beats watching the whole lot in order. Picking out random stories never works as well.

I like the gunfighters too

Pip Madeley Guest

The Dalek Invasion of Earth is very cheap at the moment if you'd like to invest in that - it's a 2 discer too.

Captain Tancredi Guest

I can't really add much more to what's been said- I think you might enjoy the ideas behind 'The Aztecs' and the way it plays with the idea of making an Earth culture as alien as another world, while 'The Dalek Invasion of Earth' and 'The Time Meddler' are quite accessible- as is 'The War Machines' if you can get hold of the VHS. I'd avoid 'The Edge of Destruction' and 'The Web Planet' for the while- they're both oddball stories to an extent and made in slightly bizarre styles.

I'd agree with The Aztecs, Dalek Invasion Of Earth and The Time Meddler. The Massacre, if you can find it on audio, is a bit depressing in its themes, but very dramatic.

personaly I think the best place to start would be The Beginnings box set, featuring An Uneratly, Child, The Daleks and Edge of Destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Tancredi View Post
    I can't really add much more to what's been said- I think you might enjoy the ideas behind 'The Aztecs' and the way it plays with the idea of making an Earth culture as alien as another world, while 'The Dalek Invasion of Earth' and 'The Time Meddler' are quite accessible- as is 'The War Machines' if you can get hold of the VHS. I'd avoid 'The Edge of Destruction' and 'The Web Planet' for the while- they're both oddball stories to an extent and made in slightly bizarre styles.
    I wouldn't necessarily recommend The War Machines. Not because it's bad, but more because it's basically a Troughton story with Hartnell looking a little bemused as if he's suddenly found himself in the wrong series.

In fact it's very hard to think of a "typical" Hartnell story to recommend as this probably the most eclectic period in the show's history and nothing is really that much like anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Zbigniev Hamson View Post
    I wouldn't necessarily recommend The War Machines. Not because it's bad, but more because it's basically a Troughton story with Hartnell looking a little bemused as if he's suddenly found himself in the wrong series.

n.

can't ever say I've felt that , if he dose look a lttle bemused I'd put it down to Hartnell's increasingly poor health.

one story for me that I would recomend one that may not be every body's cup of tea but is a personal favourite of mine is The Ark, an intelligent and thoughtfull story and one that is very under rated.

I liked the Ark too. I've only seen it once but the first two episodes in particular are good, and there are a couple of effects shots in it that look better than anything else they ever managed until about 1996.

One of my favourite Hartnells is The Crusade, which, despite perhaps not being everybody's cup of tea, being rather wordy and theatrical, is, in my opinion, a superb piece of drama, featuring some excellent performances, and a wonderful script by the incomparable David Whitaker. The two surviving episodes (along with the audios of the other two) are available on the 'Lost In Time' set.

Pip Madeley Guest

Tudor loves his historicals. A Hartnell historical that's well worth a go is The Romans, but that'll be on DVD soon enough.

Well I adore the Sensorites but that's just me. The Daleks' Masterplan is Hartnell's best performance - it is one old man against the combined forces of several galaxies and he kicks their asses.

The Time Meddler is probably the best of the DVDs - The Beginnings has the best extras but The Doctor is a little harsh in the early weeks of the series.
    Dennis, Francois, Melba and Smasher are competing to see who can wine and dine Lola Whitecastle and win the contract to write her memoirs. Can Dennis learn how to be charming? Can Francois concentrate on anything else when food is on the table? Will Smasher keep his temper under control?

If only the 28th century didn't keep popping up to get in Dennis's way...

#dammitbrent

The eleventh annual Brenty Four serial is another Planet Skaro exclusive. A new episode each day until Christmas in the Brenty Four-um.

Pip Madeley Guest

You're not alone in your love for The Sensorites, Lissa. And I love the way you describe DMP

Wayne Guest

Seconded!

Time Meddler or The Aztecs vote here too!

If you have access to videos then Sensorites is good, Romans & Rescue are short if you want a brief taste of Hartnell...as it were!

Thankyou for all these suggestions! I've sent for the Time Meddler and a second hand copy of the War Machines, I'll see how I get on with them and maybe try some of the other titles then. Thank.

Wayne Guest

If you like your stories a bit more lightweight, you should get on with The Time Meddler. It's not my cup of tea, but at least it's not boring like 'The Romans'.
    'The War Machines' is one of my favourites though. But i'd support 'The Aztecs' for future possibles. It's the best historical by a mile if you ask me.

Hi Wayne! Aztecs does sound interesting, I think I'll try and get a copy next payday!

Wayne Guest

Hi Heather,
    You may well find it for about a fiver if you're lucky. WH Smiths were selling a lot of the older dvds off cheap a couple of weeks or so back.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Tudor View Post
    One of my favourite Hartnells is The Crusade, which, despite perhaps not being everybody's cup of tea, being rather wordy and theatrical, is, in my opinion, a superb piece of drama, featuring some excellent performances, and a wonderful script by the incomparable David Whitaker. The two surviving episodes (along with the audios of the other two) are available on the 'Lost In Time' set.
    It's well acted and has loads of atmosphere, and it certainly doesn't get boring, but after 4 episodes it kind of just... stops, with the regulars getting in the TARDIS and sodding off, leaving half the plot threads hanging.