Default Kids and New Who...

Kids aren't stupid, and normally can spot a dud as easily as an adult can. But why is it that a series which has almost split adult fans into two factions, ie pro- and anti-RTD, such a success with children? What is the appeal of the series to them?

Before we go any further, of course I'm aware that not all kids like the series, and I'm not suggesting that they do. But the series does have a huge fanbase among kids, regardless of what adults think of it at the moment, and personally I'm pleased that the series has been a success on this front. That was one of the main objectives, as far as I was concerned, way back in 2005...It (hopefully) ensures that the series has a future, as most of that audience will still be there long after RTD and co have gone on their merry way...

But as I said, children aren't stupid, so what exactly is the appeal of the series? Surely, despite the BBC publicity, it's not solely down to RTD's writing skills. Is it the writing skills of all the writers involved? Is it the storylines? Is it the special effects? Is it the monsters and aliens? Is it the relationship between the Doctor and his companions? Is it a particular characterisation of the Doctor himself (ie Eccleston or Tennant) that they like? Or are the companions (and families) the main attraction? Is it the Tardis? Or is it simply that the whole concept appeals to them on a basic level?

Or could it be something else entirely...something that has absolutely nothing to do with the quality (or lack of it, depending on your point of view) of the finished product we see on our tv screens every Saturday? I heard a guy talking on Terry Wogan's Radio 2 show this morning (do you know that short religious slot Pause For Thought?...it was one of those guys who delivers a short sermon each day) I don't usually pay much attention, as it's usually just background noise at work, but this morning this guy was talking about how exited he was about going to see an exhibition of comics; to be precise, the exhibition was all about the classic 50s comic the Eagle, regarded by many as the greatest comic ever. He gave a short speel about it's history, and how it was born from a religious background, created by Reverand Marcus Morris. And in particular, he talked about the main reason for the success of the comic...cover star Dan Dare. What was the secret of his success...? Simple: he was a hero; and he arrived just at a time when children were desperate for a new hero...in those post war years Dan Dare and the Eagle managed to give a generation of kids hope for the future, in exciting thrilling adventures which unfolded on a weekly basis.

So could history simply be repeating itself here? Could todays children simply have been looking for a (fictional) hero, a role model to look up to? And Doctor Who just came along at the perfect time? Again, with his adventure unfolding week by week...After all, we all grew up with the Doctor, and when you were young it didn't matter who was playing the part, the Doctor was a hero. He was always there, and he wouldn't let you down. No matter what you think of Tennant's Doctor (and I'm not a huge fan myself), like Carol said on another thread, he has embraced the role in a way that no other actor has since Tom Baker. He is the public face of Doctor Who. Like Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee and Baker before him, he seems to be fully aware that to a generation of children, he is the Doctor and relishes that fact. That in itself could be a part in it's success?

What are your opinions? Remember, this isn't a thread about viewing figures, or sloppy writing, or any of the other criticisms which we normally level at the series. It's about how it has ingrained itself onto the consiousness of the nations children in a way not seen since the seventies.

Without wishing to be too cynical, I would imagine that the massive publicity blitz that surrounded Series 1, including endless trails and teaser programmes on BBC 1 and all the billboard posters, Radio Times covers/posters every week would have a lot to do with it. Oh and it was probably mentioned on Newsround daily, not to mention that Doctor Who kids magazine show that I don't remember the name of.

Not that that alone would do it of course, but I think as long as it's reasonably entertaining then anything would do quite well with that amount of publicity to launch it.

So my recipe/explanation is:

a) Massive and kiddy-centric publicity blitz leading up to the series and not really letting up much afterwards.

b) Having a reasonably decent product to back it up.

c) Give them lots of merchandise, extra comics, posters etc to keep the product in their minds while you're at it.

Personnally I envy this generation of kids, who mainly through the Who franchise now have a very vivid role model that embraces British views, speech patterns and values, something TV hasn't done since the early 80's and IMO, part of the problems with youth in this country is they haven't had any real role models to grow up with and no connection to a UK way of life.

I don't just mean the Doctor, although he's a big part of that, but Dr Who as a programme showcases UK society and makes almost no concessions (I can't think of any but there must be some) to a US/world audience.

I think the upbeat presentation of the country our kids live in is a big part of its success. Also DT's obviously enthusiam for what he does and the complete lack of embarassment of anyone envolved in the show shines through virtually every minute and that easily pulls kids in and sweeps them along.

It has mild thrills and laughs and aliens along the way, all of which appeal.

Also helping is a large dose of nostagia from all those 30-something parents, who enjoying sharing one programme with their kids that reminds them of their own youth. Kids of a certain age relish sharing things with their mums/dads.
    I enjoy conversing with my daughter about things that matter to her, opening lines of comunication that'll hopefully pay dividends when she starts dating, even back when the topic was Bob the Builder. Thankfully now its Who and its so much easier to chatter away over (recent topic:why the Doctor said the makers of Donna's clothes were slaves.) I imagine other parents have similar conversations too and that encourages children to return to Who.

Yes, there's a huge industry of toys etc (my house is positively LITTERED with the formally illusive item that was the pen, thanks to the abundence of DWA stationary freebies) but there's also an industry of programme making, set design etc growing in Cardiff.

But as I said, children aren't stupid, so what exactly is the appeal of the series?
    The fact that it's brilliant?

I think kids like it for the same reasons we always did - it's fun, scary, well-made, thought-provoking, has a great theme tune, a God-like escapism element in the TARDIS, lots of stuff to buy, and the fact that it's quite witty and unusual makes it cool in the playground.

Si.