Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Pip Madeley Guest

Default PLEASE READ: Change my dear...

... and it seems not a moment too soon! Whilst you've all been asleep the forum fairies - well, just me, and I promise I'm not dressed like Tinkerbell - have been busy making a few changes to Planet Skaro's forums. Read on for what's different:

1) Forum Software

Planet Skaro's forum software, vBulletin, has been upgraded to the brand new, stable version 3.7.0. You won't notice too many changes right now, except perhaps the change to your user profile (go see!) and the new Similar Threads feature which appears at the end of the page (useful to spot duplicate threads). There are a few obvious asthetic changes, in particular the TARDISes on the left hand side. Nice eh. A handful of new features came with the new software, and the Mods and Admins shall be reviewing them in due course, so we can decide which could prove beneficial and which are totally superfluous. We'll make an announcement if/when any of them are to be added.

2) Changes to the Doctor Who forums

Your friendly Mods and Admins have had a little think and decided to make a few positive changes to the Doctor Who area of the PS forum, as follows:

• You'll have noticed that first off the title has changed - the rather dull Doctor Who Forums has become The Worlds Of Doctor Who. We hope you like it too.
    • Now onto a big change. we have decided to merge General Doctor Who Discussion and The Original Series into one big super-forum - Adventures In Time In Space. This new forum is now the place to chat about anything to do with Doctor Who and its TV episodes from 1963 right through to 2007 (the previous last series). All the relevant threads have been moved to this forum.
    • As a result of the above change, The New Series forum now becomes a place for discussion of brand new and upcoming episodes - i.e. SERIES FOUR, which is literally The New Series.

The alterations will not make much difference when it comes to posting, as we believe the name changes better reflect the use of the forums as they have been used recently.
    So that's it for now, I'm off to my bed, thanks for reading and enjoy tonight's Who!

Pip Madeley
    on behalf of the Mods and Admin staff of Planet Skaro

to Pip and all the admin staff

Now while its quiet, I'm going to run around and ruin everything
    Bazinga !

Pip Madeley Guest

Now while its quiet, I'm going to run around and ruin everything

"Waking or sleeping... I shall always be with you..."

well done pip,

although I'm not sure where these "TARDISes on the left hand side" are..

They change colour if there's new or unread posts in the particualr forum they sit next to.

That was an awkward sentence. Sorry.

Anyway, looks good doesn't it? I like the Happiness Patrol pink TARDISes! Well done Pip

Si xx

I've just got my handcuffs and my truncheon and that's enough.

Larry, refresh your page and they should appear.

Well done that man!

yes like this well done to all

I knew it was on its way, but to see a theory turned into practice is still someething else. It all looks great (I wasn't expecting the TARDISes!) and well done Pip - hope you're not too tired today!

WhiteCrow Guest

Good work Pip!

It looks great & runs smoothly. Well done Pippy!

I like the renaming and merging ideas. I even like the new TARDISes (after I worked out which colour implied "new" and which "old" ). Just to clarify though, does this mean that the "new" series 1-3 topics are in "Adventures in Time and Space" along with all the old series?

Pip Madeley Guest

As I said:

This new forum is now the place to chat about anything to do with Doctor Who and its TV episodes from 1963 right through to 2007 (the previous series).

Which makes sense. Well I understood it, what more can you want?

So the classic series now has to be "tainted"

Pip Madeley Guest

Nice to know while I was snuggly tucked up the Pipster was beavering away on my behalf - thanks!

Oh my!

It's all good, and the change to the Doctor Who forums is a particularly good one - the old 'Original Series' looked decidedly unloved at times!

You've all done very well.

WhiteCrow Guest

Now Planet Skaros server problems are well behind us, here's hoping Pip finds the time to get a new haircut ...

Pip Madeley Guest

Bloody hell, it's only been nine days since the last one

Forgive me Doctor for I have sinned, it has been nine days since my last haircut...

Wayne Guest

So series 1 to 3 of the New Series is now lumped in with the classic series, but series 4 of the New Series isn't.
    What happens when Series 4 of the New Series is no longer deemed 'New'?
    Will you have to move all the Series 4 threads out of the New Series forum?

In the interests of tidying up, I suspect we will Wayne. It may well be a bit like the Chuckle Brothers, with a lot of "to me, to you" as we carry the episode threads over, but that's the kind of tiptop service you can expect here at PS!!

Wayne Guest

Well in all honesty, shoving part of the New Series in with the Classic series just seems rather pointless to me. I mean what does it acheive? You've just made uneccesary extra work for yourselves for no real good reason. I guess it's no big deal, but i just can't see the benefit of it.
    The rest of the changes all make sense, but moving part of the New Series, & having to keep moving subsequent parts of it once it gets out of date. You just think, well.... 'Why?'

I see your point, Wayne, but the thinking behind it was really that we've now got forty+ episodes broadcast before this year. There comes a point when it seems stupid to start a thread on, for example, "Your Top 10 stories" or "When Did Dr Who Scare You Most?" but for it to only apply to stories between 1963 and 1989.

In other words, the intention is really to lump EVERYTHING into one board EXCEPT FOR current/forthcoming stuff, which is kept separate partly to make an event of it, but also to keep any spoiler-y threads in one place which people can choose to avoid if they want to.