Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Wayne Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Si Hunt View Post
    This kind of sub-Carry On smutty gag, whereby the writer expects us to laugh at something which is basically just lewd and sexually exploititive
    Si.
    I bet Si would love 'On the Buses', then.

Pip Madeley Guest

@ Wayne

I quite like OAH, but a large part of that may be down to the fact that we lived in a small corner shop in a town for the first half of the 80s, so it does have a bit of a resonance for me - opening and closing it in the dark (at winter anyway), milk deliveries, eccentric regular customers.

It's the sort of programme that I'll watch most times when it's on (and it's been on a lot of late for some reason) but I wouldn't bother buying on DVD - unless it was in a bargain bucket.

I'm afraid the 'head in the bosoms' humour Alex cites is a point to the prosecution, rather than the defence. This kind of sub-Carry On smutty gag, whereby the writer expects us to laugh at something which is basically just lewd and sexually exploititive, is the sort of stuff Clarke still peddles, except today everyone ignores him. It's sexual titilation that it's okay for pensioners to watch, because it's slightly underhand and can therefore be excused as something else.
    Ah, you're absolutely right of course, if an US sitcom had that in it today, it would seem out of place and probably very rude (though some of Joey's antics in Friends come quite close to this sort of cheekiness).

I guess I just remember it fondly as a it's a show from a different era, and makes me whistful for the good old days...when people could leave their doors unlocked...white dog poo was everywhere...cats had teeth the size of cauliflowers...etc, etc, etc...
    Last edited by Alex; 2nd Dec 2006 at 5:12 PM.
    "RIP Henchman No.24."

it's a show from a different era
    I think that's perhaps part of its problem here. It may not have visually dated as much as, say, The Liver Birds or George & Mildred, but it is nevertheless over twenty years old so some of its style of humour is bound to be stuff you wouldn't pitch for a new show today.

It's telling that everyone seems to watch "Open All Hours" on account of the fact that it's less effort than changing the channel, yet no-one who watches it actually likes it.

Si.

Not quite, Si - re-read my post and Andrew's!

I do like it, it does make me laugh.

Not quite, Si - re-read my post and Andrew's!
    I was overlooking the people that disagreed with me in order to bolster my argument.

Si.

Good answer, Si!
    Last edited by Andrew Curnow; 3rd Dec 2006 at 7:25 PM.

I quite like OOH, not in a 'must make a note of it in my diary when its on' kind of way, but more than just not being bothered to turn over either. I can't agree with the limited settings complaint, since like many sitcoms that do the same its the interraction between the characters that provides the humour. And, again like many others, the repetitive nature of some of the situations (the till, the monologue, the milk-woman) provide the framework for the humour, not its sole basis - just like Trigger calling Rodney Dave, or Del's outrageous drinks. The recurring minor characters are far better drawn than anything from LOTSW and shine in their own particular way when they appear.

Part of the problem I think is accepting that Ronnie Barker is playing the Mr Mackay character, rather than Fletcher - we're not (IMO) supposed ot be rooting for Arkwright, but Granville, so we take pleasure in seeing his little schemes fail, and yet we still grin when he outwits another customer into buying more than we want.(And lets face it, some of these corner shops are scarey places, where you'd be frightened to ask where something was, or how much something cost). The 'head in the bosom' is for us to laugh at Arkwright not getting any, rather than Granville getting it.

As Andrew ? Jonno ? said, it was of its time and has aged a bit, but there are still more funny lines per episode than many 'modern' sitcoms, and Barker remains a genius comedy actor.

BTW I look forward to Si Hunt takes down some far more worthy candidates - My Family , Waiting for God, Bottom, Hi-de-Hi or Keeping up Appearances for starters...
    Last edited by Jon Masters; 3rd Dec 2006 at 3:18 PM.
    Bazinga !

I'm not sure that the world is ready for a thread entitled "Si Hunt Takes Down Bottom".

@ Jonno!

Personally, I don't like Open All Hours because the shop is dingy and small and the characters wear nasty jumpers and overcoats. It offends my delicate, middle-class snob sensibilities!
    Pity. I have no understanding of the word. It is not registered in my vocabulary bank. EXTERMINATE!

Dave Lewis Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Masters View Post
    I look forward to Si Hunt takes down some far more worthy candidates - My Family, Waiting for God, Bottom, Hi-de-Hi or Keeping up Appearances for starters...
    I imagine it'll be a cold day in hell before Si takes down Hi-De-Hi. Or will it?

Two of the shows mentioned are so much better than Open All Hours that there's no comparison; one is so wretched that there's no possibility of even attempting to compare it, because it's like trying to associate a dog poo with a cat poo; one is mainly rubbish but used to raise the occasional laugh every sixteenth episode; and the other, which I've never really watched (nor ever wanted to, to be honest) is Waiting For God.

Or will it?

Si.

I like Open All Hours and will happily watch an episode if its on but this thread has made me think why do I like it? And I couldn't tell you. Its rubbish isn't it? I'm confused now.
    And the I've always found the ending of the episode depressing but only because it used to signal having a bath on sunday night which in our house signified the end of the weekend and the thought of going back to school the next day. It still makes me feel like that now!
    And the title's crap as well. It's not open all hours is it?

You SEE!

Everyone bar about 2 people has said "Yes I love it! Well, actually, I watch it but only because it's always on. And I couldn't tell you anything good about it."

Let's face it. Like "Summer Wine" and "The Antiques Roadshow" it's strategically scheduled to be on at the one time 15m people happen to be collapsed in front of the TV unwilling to move. They could show a dog turd and everyone would still watch.

We've yet to have any classic scenes or lines quoted, by the way.

I think I have brought it down. My work is done.

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Classic quotes:

Arkwright: D'ya know what you need? A good walloping.
    Nurse Gladys Emmanuel: Oh, yeah and who's gonna give it to me?
    Arkwright: I I I am.
    Nurse Gladys Emmanuel: Oh, three of you.

Mrs. Parslow: I'll have a large washing-up liquid.
    Arkwright: I think I'll join you.

Arkwright: Well done! And you certainly have been.

and a few classic moments:

'Shedding at the Wedding' Arkwright gets an eyeful (05/04/81)

Sex-crazed would-be lothario Arthur (did you know that?) Arkwright shimmies up a ladder to get a butchers at Nurse Gladys Emmanuel in her nighttime finery. Unimpressed by this unwanted attention, Gladys threatens to shut the window on his fingers, claiming that if Arkwright falls he has nothing to fear just so long as he lands on his wallet.

'The Ginger Men' Arkwright uses a bit of psychology (28/03/82)

Arkwright is writing up his latest promotion on the shop window - 'Speciol Today'. Granville pulls him up for his spelling error but Arkwright explains that some clever dick is bound to come in to complain, and when they do 'I'll have 'em!' Sure enough a supercilious chap pops by and in no time Arkwright, using his skill and charm, has sold him half the goods in the shop.

and as BBC Comedy Guide says:

Arkwright is a strange comedy character: lecherous, miserly and dishonest, yet somehow likeable. His ability to think up such bizarre customer enticements is highly comical and suggests a level of ingenuity and thought not usually afforded to characters in sitcom (certainly not in Roy Clarke comedies anyway). No wonder the likes of Cheggers, John 'Boycie' Challis and Yootha 'Mildred' Joyce all crossed the threshold of Arkwright's, only to leave a few moments later a little confused and a few quid worse off.

But did you actually know those classic moments Pip, or did you have to look them up?

Si.

Pip Madeley Guest

Oh I knew them, you're forgetting, I have the series on DVD

Just couldn't be bothered trying to type it all, so copy and paste is easier

Pip Madeley Guest

One thing I will say, if an argument for the show's prosecution is that nothing happens, then what do you think of The Royle Family (a show which like OOH is about nothing in particular, but rich in characterisation)?

Most sitcoms, well the better ones anyway, are usually only set in one or two locations and are based more on character than plot.

One thing I will say, if an argument for the show's prosecution is that nothing happens, then what do you think of The Royle Family (a show which like OOH is about nothing in particular, but rich in characterisation)?
    Ssssh.

Si.

The Royle family is one sitcom in serious need of taking down.

Most sitcoms, well the better ones anyway, are usually only set in one or two locations and are based more on character than plot.
    The BBC writersroom actually has the advice to use only three or four locations for a sitcom as part of their hints and tips for would be writers.