This has got to be the most over-rated and depressing sitcom of all time. The best thing about it is Ronnie Barkers versatility; it's impossible to watch it and believe it's the same man who played Fletch in "Porridge".

However, the new character is actually just a dirty old man, letching over Nurse Gladys while being too tight to be of any good to her. What's more, all the episodes take place in a cramped, depressing little shop. I saw one the other day where the main plot "point" was that Arkright had set up a new shelf (I do not jest) in the middle of his shop. For one memorable joke, he pointed out a leek on it. The audience seemingly howled at this, presumably something to do with the leek being floppy. I didn't get it.

It's such a dreary old show though isn't it? Every episode ends with a slit-your-wrists monologue as the sad old man stands outside his miserable, streetlamp-light shop and closes it for another day.

Let's remember that this is by Roy Clarke, the man who later gave us "Keeping Up Appearances" and "Last of the Summer Wine".

It's seen as some kind of classic, but really given the writers other works and the complete inability of anyone to actually name any funny scenes or lines from it, that's got to be worth challenging hasn't it?

Si.