Pip Madeley Guest

Default Robbie vs Take That

This from MSN.co.uk:

At the time of writing, the reincarnated Take That are riding high in both the singles and album charts while their former bandmate Robbie Williams' fortunes appear to be sliding in the opposite direction.

Although we've only got the benefit of one year's hindsight, I reckon last November's Take That documentary may one day be seen as the moment where Robbie Williams lost his grip on the nation's affections. After a decade of playing the misunderstood but loveable cheeky chappy, his refusal to meet his former bandmates left a nasty taste; even more so when we were reminded what decent blokes they are.

While they were enduring the ignominy of career failure, he bestrode the world as the biggest solo star of his generation, his lyrics becoming increasingly self-obsessed, his ego expanding in line with his bank balance, and his expression set somewhere between a wink, a smirk, and a leer. Not only that but he rarely missed an opportunity to take a swipe at them, Gary Barlow in particular, from the vantage point of his enormous fame and success.

How different things seem now. The devotion originally created by Take That and stolen by Robbie Williams is back with Gary, Mark, Howard, and Jason again. Their new music, better than anyone had any right to expect, is classic melodic pop while Robbie's recent output has been so underwhelming and self-referential that some people have questioned whether he's taking the you-know-what. Perhaps more to the point, they are the same nice, genuine guys they always were, whereas Robbie, well, nobody really knows who he is now, do they?
    What do the people of PS think? I think Robbie Williams has always been very egotistical, and that without 'Angels', his career would have died a death a long time ago. He made a very bad move by sacking Guy Chambers. He's never been that talented a singer anyway, I'd have called him an entertainer... but he believes his own hype, and that might be his downfall.

Question is, are Take That 'back for good' or is this a fleeting repeat of their glory days?

I think they'll be back for ever and ever.*

Take That may be full of speech impediments these days, but Williams will always be a fat-headed pub singer/dancer and a too camp **** of the highest order.

I still own every Take That single apart from "The Love Songs EP"...

* well, at least two years

Take That's comeback will die off but I reckons Robbie is here to stay.

Wayne Guest

Robbie's always come across as a right up his own arse sort of tosser, But i still like his 'I'll Be Seeing You Album'.

Take That are just pop ******s of the highest order. Even if one of 'em does look a bit like Dave Taylor.

Anyone who covers Bee Gee's songs deserves instant death.*

*Wayne in 'ironic Batman' mode.
    Last edited by Wayne; 2nd Dec 2006 at 3:59 PM.

"How different things seem now".

With a number 1 album and more top ten singles under his belt, how in decline is Robbie! The article seems to confuse/wish that Robbie's career is on the slide just because Take That are back in favour - as if the concept of both of them being popular at the same time is impossible.

Yes, Robbie is an arrogant t*sser who knocks out mostly unchallenged singalong pop hits. So what's new? We still all love him, no matter how hard the press wish we didn't.
    I think Robbie Williams has always been very egotistical, and that without 'Angels', his career would have died a death a long time ago.
    You could say that any band would have "died a death" without their first huge hit - it's meaningless! Everyone's got to start somewhere. Without "You Can't Hurry Love" Phil Collins solo career would have died a death long ago! If your point is that every Robbie song since "Angels" has been a success because of it, then you are wrong. You don't have twenty Top 10 singles because something you did ten years ago was good.
    He made a very bad move by sacking Guy Chambers.
    I don't think so. Chambers was a hack, responsible for several conspiciously dirgey other collaborations. He's also done nothing since, whereas Robbie has written some great songs with different people - "Misunderstood" is one of my favourites, and "Radio" and "She's Madonna" are also great. Not only has Robbie proved that he doesn't need guy, but he's arguably proved that his half of the partership was substantial - perhaps even better - when previously people attributed all the hits to Guy
    He's never been that talented a singer anyway,
    I totally beg to differ. Robbie is a completely underated singer with a very appealing and strong voice. Listen to "Feel" for example - it's an amazing vocal performance.
    I'd have called him an entertainer... but he believes his own hype, and that might be his downfall.
    Well he's always been the way he is, and after ten years of being solo, it hasn't been his downfall yet has it?

It amazes me that for so long people called Robbie unadventurous, then as soon as he tries something different he's egotistical for doing so.

Si.

I don't particularly like him or his music, but I don't think that Robbie's star is fading just yet either. He's not had a number 1 hit for a while, which means his latest output hasn't reached the heights it has before, but he's had top ten hits since then, and for most artists that would be considered a success. I think he has set himself a high standard to live up to, chart position wise, and he might feel he is failing to achieve his old position of dominance, but if memory serves me correct, Angels didn't get to No.1 either.

Was "Rudebox" the album not number one the other week? I'm not mad on the title track but I welcome his change of musical direction and his forthcoming single "She's Madonna", produced by the Pet Shop Boys is much better than his usual dreary-pub rock stuff.

Pip Madeley Guest

Without "You Can't Hurry Love" Phil Collins solo career would have died a death long ago!
    Well that's not quite true, his first single 'In The Air Tonight' was a big hit & he went on to further/greater solo success

If your point is that every Robbie song since "Angels" has been a success because of it, then you are wrong. You don't have twenty Top 10 singles because something you did ten years ago was good.
    According to Wiki: "In February 2005, Williams received the British music industry's award for the best song of the past quarter century, "Angels", the song Williams credits with giving him a solo career." The man himself apparently agrees...

I don't think so. Chambers was a hack, responsible for several conspiciously dirgey other collaborations. He's also done nothing since, whereas Robbie has written some great songs with different people - "Misunderstood" is one of my favourites, and "Radio" and "She's Madonna" are also great. Not only has Robbie proved that he doesn't need guy, but he's arguably proved that his half of the partership was substantial - perhaps even better - when previously people attributed all the hits to Guy
    I wouldn't call him a hack, he's won 3 Brit Awards, 3 Ivor Novello Awards and the Q Classic Songwriter Award. He's obviously doing something right. He also wrote/co-wrote Williams' best songs IMO: No Regrets, Millennium, Rock DJ, Feel, Millennium, Kids etc. He's been quite busy since actually, he's worked with Kylie, Charlotte Church, Andrea Bocelli, Delta Goodrem, James Blunt, Mel C, Hilary Duff, Natasha Bedingfield, Jamie Cullum, Rachel Stevens, Geri Halliwell, Beverley Knight, Busted, INXS, Brian McFadden, Jessica Simpson and more.

Well that's not quite true, his first single 'In The Air Tonight' was a big hit & he went on to further/greater solo success
    And Robbie's first single "Freedom" was a big hit, and he went on to further/greater solo success. Touche!
    According to Wiki: "In February 2005, Williams received the British music industry's award for the best song of the past quarter century, "Angels", the song Williams credits with giving him a solo career." The man himself apparently agrees...
    I'm failing to see your point here. "Angels" was his major breakthrough. So what? He's had ten years of being the UK's most successful artist since then. How does this reflect badly on him?
    I wouldn't call him a hack
    Lots of the people on your list have had disastrous careers since working with Chambers - Mel C, Hilary Duff, Rachel, Geri, INXS, McFadden... Mel C's previously watertight chart record was sunk (and arguably led to her being dropped) with his by-numbers tune "Melt".

I'll agree Chambers has done okay finding work for himself, but he's yet to pen a song that has done as well as anything he wrote with Robbie. Could this be because it was always actually Robbie's contribution that contained the magic touch after all? By contrast, Robbie's first collaboration without guy was a #1, and he seems to be having no problem writing decent songs with other people since then...

Si.